Author Topic: Capital Succession?  (Read 7139 times)

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Capital Succession?
« Topic Start: October 04, 2011, 10:05:18 AM »
I was under the impression one could not cede the Capital to another realm?

Duchy leaves realm   (37 minutes ago)
James Blazeral Harker, Duke of Anacan has changed the allegiance of his duchy of Anacan to the realm Toupellon. All regions, knights and troops of the duchy have therefore left your realm.

Regions leaving: Zarimel, Anacan
Nobles leaving: James, Jonan, Fabian, Bertimus, Fedor, Domonik, Markus, Marc, Minks

Anacan is stilli listed as the Capital of Cathay.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Succession?
« Reply #1: October 04, 2011, 10:20:04 AM »
A secession is a City seceding away from the Realm by creating a new Realm. This shouldn't be possible in the Capital.

What happened here is that the City simply changed allegiances to an already existing Realm. The Capital can do that as well.

Cathay will need to change her Capital or reconquer Anacan with her current troops :)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 04, 2011, 10:33:44 AM »
IIRC, the last city of a realm cannot change allegiance (i.e. no realm mergers). However this does not preclude the capital from a multi-city realm to do so.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #3: October 04, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »
This is correct.

If a realm has two cities, the capital could secede and join a bordering realm (as per duchy borders).  If a realm only has one city, the capital, that city/duchy cannot secede at all. 

If a city is not the capital, it can either join a neighboring realm or form a new one.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 04, 2011, 02:41:15 PM »
If a realm has two cities, the capital could secede and join a bordering realm...

Please be more careful with your terminology. A city changing allegiance is not a secession. It is a simple change of allegiance.

A secession involves the city leaving the realm to form a brand new realm. A capital city cannot do that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #5: October 04, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »
Sorry that I use real definitions rather than the arbitrary ones that BattleMaster uses?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 04, 2011, 06:58:23 PM »
Sorry that I use real definitions rather than the arbitrary ones that BattleMaster uses?

Generally, secession would imply trying to make your own nation, rather than simply leaving your nation and joining another.

Also, the ones that BattleMaster uses aren't arbitrary; they're very clear, well-defined, and specific.  Furthermore, if you're talking about stuff happening in BattleMaster, then it makes sense to use the BattleMaster definitions for things.  I mean, one could easily talk about, say, the northwest of Beluaterra as a "region"—but if you tried to do that, you'd just be confusing people, because BattleMaster's term "region" is more specific than that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 04, 2011, 07:32:17 PM »

These are not made-up, arbitrary definitions. Seceding is the act of withdrawing, to carry on as a separate entity. The idea of secession is a split of one organization from another. The clear implication is that the group that splits off creates their own entity, not that it simply moves over to membership into another already existing institution. That would be a transfer of membership, or a realignment.

If you don't believe me, go look up the definitions, and then how the word is actually used. I don't think you'll ever find the defection of a group from one political state to another referred to as a secession.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 04, 2011, 08:49:40 PM »

You mean...

se·ces·sion

noun /səˈseSHən/ 
secessions, plural

The action of withdrawing formally from membership of a federation or body, esp. a political state

?

Same thing as in BM. Switching alliance is treason, surely, but not secession.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 05, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »
A secession involves the city leaving the realm to form a brand new realm. A capital city cannot do that.

Just out of curiosity, can you get by that as duke of a capitol by changing alligence to another realm (if adjecent to one) and then immediately seceede from there (since it is no longer the capitol of any realm)?
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 05, 2011, 04:11:46 PM »
IIRC, there is a 7 day waiting period.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 05, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »
Just out of curiosity, can you get by that as duke of a capitol by changing alligence to another realm (if adjecent to one) and then immediately seceede from there (since it is no longer the capitol of any realm)?
While this is technically possible, it would be an obvious abuse, and deliberate circumvention of game mechanics.

This is what happened during The Krimml Incident on EC a few years ago. Duke Alexi, duke of Krimml, the capital of Fontan, changed allegiance to Perdan, and immediately informed Perdan that he wasn't sticking around, he had just swapped allegiance to Perdan so that he could then secede. Perdan immediately banned him.  The player of Duke Alexi deleted his account the very next day, before any kind of Titans judgment could have been taken.

Interesting side note: At the time, the duchy of Krimml had 89 nobles that that became part of Perdan when the duchy changed over!

Interesting side note #2: After Fontan bought Krimml back from Perdan, the militia in the city stayed loyal to Perdan. It took Fontan nine days to finally beat all the militia and regain full control of the city.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 05, 2011, 09:31:49 PM »
Those bugs and abuses certainly ensured some fun.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #13: October 05, 2011, 09:39:07 PM »
These are not made-up, arbitrary definitions. Seceding is the act of withdrawing, to carry on as a separate entity. The idea of secession is a split of one organization from another. The clear implication is that the group that splits off creates their own entity, not that it simply moves over to membership into another already existing institution. That would be a transfer of membership, or a realignment.

If you don't believe me, go look up the definitions, and then how the word is actually used. I don't think you'll ever find the defection of a group from one political state to another referred to as a secession.

The states that formed the Confederacy were classsed as seceding.  After the Confederacy was formed, the other states that left the Union to join the CSA also seceded.  To "change allegiance" one must secede first.

For example, in the Krimml Incident the Duke seceded from Fontan to join Perdan and planned on seceding from Perdan to form his own sovereign nation.

When Westmoor (the duchy) split from Perdan (the realm) to from Westmoor (the realm), that too was a secession as they split/left Perdan.  Though it was a peaceful secession, mind you.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 06, 2011, 04:57:15 AM »
This is what happened during The Krimml Incident on EC a few years ago.

Something similar happened with the formation of the Akadian League.  For whatever reason, you could change allegiance to another realm while not being in region but could only secede from your region, so he flipped to Arcachon then ran back and seceded.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"