Author Topic: Toupellon: The next FEI superpower?  (Read 78879 times)

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Toupellon: The next FEI superpower?
« Reply #15: October 04, 2011, 10:44:38 PM »
Some of the duchies are going to have to go, that's for sure. I don't think anyone in on the whole thing expected this, it's a little ridiculous.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 04, 2011, 11:16:03 PM »
I don't think anyone in on the whole thing expected this, it's a little ridiculous.

I had a small inkling Taylin was going to go. I've known for a while she's a pagan and hates religious arguments, so when it all kicked off quite spectacularly in Ohnar West, I figured she'd go as soon as she could.

I didn't expect Anacan to go, but then I'm not in Cathay.

I did, however, think Vulpes was going to take Ossaet, until he told my character he wasn't going to.

I would love to see the Duke of Topenah joining them, that would really switch the balance of power in the Far East.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 04, 2011, 11:23:28 PM »
I had a small inkling Taylin was going to go. I've known for a while she's a pagan and hates religious arguments, so when it all kicked off quite spectacularly in Ohnar West, I figured she'd go as soon as she could.
Religion really had nothing to do with Taylin's decision to leave OW. (And she couldn't care less about Sartan or Adgharhinism.) Thing is, she's hated OW for years, and has tried several times to get it killed off. It almost worked with the Arcachon/Aenilia war. This seemed like another good way to try.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 05, 2011, 12:03:37 AM »
I expect the borders of FEI will continue to shift in the coming weeks. Should be fun on a bun!

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 05, 2011, 12:07:37 AM »
Religion really had nothing to do with Taylin's decision to leave OW. (And she couldn't care less about Sartan or Adgharhinism.) Thing is, she's hated OW for years, and has tried several times to get it killed off. It almost worked with the Arcachon/Aenilia war. This seemed like another good way to try.

Ahh, that surprises me. I'd have put money on it being a "sod this religion crap, I'm outta here" kinda thing.

If she hated OW so much, why not secede and form her own realm? I'm sure Arcachon would have offered support. Or you could just lie, that usually works, "Selene is evil, her Council is full of stooges" would have been an easy one to pull off.

Anyway, she's in Toupellon now. Do you think she'll stay?

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 05, 2011, 12:47:03 AM »
The geography of the realm is just totally not going to work, it is both too large and too thin. Maybe if it dissolved into 3-4 realms, all within an empire (similar to what Luria is going to do), we could keep being a powerhouse, but otherwise it is going to come to its knees the second a decent group of realms decide to fight us.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: October 05, 2011, 01:00:53 AM »
The geography of the realm is just totally not going to work, it is both too large and too thin. Maybe if it dissolved into 3-4 realms, all within an empire (similar to what Luria is going to do), we could keep being a powerhouse, but otherwise it is going to come to its knees the second a decent group of realms decide to fight us.

The realm as it stands lend the individual Dukes the power to break from their current realms. In time it will sort itself out in regards to composition. To imply a realm that consists of regions from 2 realms needs to split into 3-4 is just silly, they could do that but splitting into 2 realms would be sufficient.

Considering that one of the main players for the Luria Empire just happens to also be pushing for a FEI empire based out of Arcaea, I'm sure something could be arranged :)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 05, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »

I didn't expect Anacan to go, but then I'm not in Cathay.

I did, however, think Vulpes was going to take Ossaet, until he told my character he wasn't going to.

I would love to see the Duke of Topenah joining them, that would really switch the balance of power in the Far East.

I figured we'd get Akanos, but not Taop and Anacan. Akanos/Ozrat/Colasan was all I expected, and I don't know what the last two dukes were hoping to gain by joining the secession. I doubt Cathay is really that bad.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 05, 2011, 01:27:46 AM »
I figured we'd get Akanos, but not Taop and Anacan. Akanos/Ozrat/Colasan was all I expected, and I don't know what the last two dukes were hoping to gain by joining the secession. I doubt Cathay is really that bad.
I think it was mostly because the dukes wanted one guy to win, and all the regional lords voted for the victor, and obviously the dukes weren't too happy about that.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 05, 2011, 01:34:35 AM »
I think it was mostly because the dukes wanted one guy to win, and all the regional lords voted for the victor, and obviously the dukes weren't too happy about that.

He got 13% of the vote, so either lots of people didn't vote, or there were a lot of candidates. Throw in the guys Family History, and there is a natural animosity between him and the Dukes, many of whom were instrumental in the down fall of the last realm his family ruled. Its not about who the Dukes wanted to win, its all about the guy that did win and long standing issues with that characters and his family.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 05, 2011, 01:48:14 AM »
He got 13% of the vote, so either lots of people didn't vote, or there were a lot of candidates.
If anyone's interested:

The referendum "Vote for the Ruler" has ended. Here is the final tally:
18 votes for Optimus
16 votes for Anatole
6 votes for Merlin
6 votes for Havelon
0 abstentions
96 votes were not cast

I get the feeling that Merlin, Havelon and Anatole all had fairly similar platforms, and had the 12 votes not been voted on Merlin and Havelon, we would be telling a wholly different story right now.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: October 05, 2011, 01:53:24 AM »
96 Vote not cast, for an election of the ruler. I think that points more to some of the issues then anything else.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 05, 2011, 03:17:36 AM »
If she hated OW so much, why not secede and form her own realm?
A couple reasons. First, I don't want to run another realm right now. I have enough on my plate with the other IG stuff I'm doing. Plus, Taylin is not really ambitious in that way. She doesn't really want to rule. She's bitter, and wants to see things torn down, rather than put effort into building them up. It's a bit of a different role for my characters, as all the rest have tended to be builders.

And then to add on top of it, I didn't think that she would have the support for a secession. I never figured Joseph would go for it. And when Lysander threw his lot in with Toupellon and went for General, I nearly fell over. It looks like I completely misjudged how many people were willing to jump ship and abandon OW so quickly.

I'm sure Arcachon would have offered support.
*blech* Arcachon is on The List.

Anyway, she's in Toupellon now. Do you think she'll stay?
Not sure yet. It's gotten *way* bigger than I anticipated. If the capital stays in Colasan, I don't think it can support Akanos.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: October 05, 2011, 03:57:35 AM »
Yeah, Taylin may work with Arcachon when she's looking to lay a kicking on someone, but I can't see her and the fanatics really getting along for very long.

It would be hilarious for a short while, a very short while.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: October 05, 2011, 07:14:27 AM »
Honestly, I can't believe it got that big (and is likely to get bigger) either, and I was intimately involved in setting it up.  If Anatole and the rest can hold it together, they'll have major congratulations from me.  However, a split is entirely possible and would work well with various other plans.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"