Author Topic: Toupellon: The next FEI superpower?  (Read 79269 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Toupellon: The next FEI superpower?
« Reply #165: December 09, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »
Close to what I expected. Except I expected the top two names to be reversed. Maybe Galiard carries a bit too much political baggage from his long history. Still, it could have been a LOT worse.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #166: December 09, 2011, 02:42:58 PM »
Still, it could have been a LOT worse.

Hey! I resent that.  ;D

I still can't get over the fact that Claude is 19 years old.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

bluexmas

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #167: December 09, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
I hope Claude is smarter at 19 than I was... otherwise Toupellon is in for a whole lot of loud blues music and teenage angst.
The Finsternis family welcomes you.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #168: December 09, 2011, 03:09:45 PM »
It's all Selene's fault.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #169: December 09, 2011, 04:23:12 PM »
Yeah, I hear Selene like 'em young.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #170: December 09, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »
Remember that Toupellon has 'only lords vote' and that first choice = 4 votes, 2nd choice = 2 votes, and Galiard couldn't vote for himself (not being a lord). With each of of the landed candidates voting for themselves, the election was pretty much decided by three region lords.

It was pretty cool, though, lots of last minute horse trading and 'I'll give so-and-so my second vote if such-and-such.' Not as exciting as when everybody can vote (though that's also self interest -- those elections are much easier to win if you're Galiard...) but having been through dozens of elections it was interesting to see that people like James and Merlin (and Merlin's brother, also a Duke) could have rallied their vassals - 4-5 region lords + three Dukes - and easily just chosen a candidate to win, but they went out for themselves and Claude being plain old fashioned diligent and earnest carried the day.

Galiard's political baggage has definitely cost him support in the past but it didn't seem to be much of a liability this time. Biggest problem he had was that he's now so $#!%! old that half the region lords don't even know who he is!

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #171: December 09, 2011, 05:59:55 PM »
I hope Claude is smarter at 19 than I was... otherwise Toupellon is in for a whole lot of loud blues music and teenage angst.
Heh . . . Morgan was not much older when he was elected as Prince of Zonasa, way back when . . . he needed a bit more time to mature, though.

Or, as he might say these days (though only in private) "lose his idealistic bull-headedness and become a cynical realist."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #172: December 09, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »
Remember that Toupellon has 'only lords vote'
This surprised me when I saw it. I didn't expect that a ruler election in a monarchy would be lords only. That's pretty republican... Still, maybe you can get Claude to give you the duchy. :)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #173: December 10, 2011, 05:56:02 AM »
I just checked this. Holy crap, that character is young. Holy crap. How the hell did he do it?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #174: December 10, 2011, 06:08:17 AM »
I just checked this. Holy crap, that character is young. Holy crap. How the hell did he do it?

By being in the right place, in the right time, with the right family introductions, with the right ambitions, and a hell of a lot of luck.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #175: December 10, 2011, 06:43:06 AM »

Selene gave the duchy to him because he was there to defend it, and showed more initiative than, well, pretty much everyone in Ohnar West. In this case, luck happened to favor the most competent person for the job.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #176: December 10, 2011, 08:16:23 AM »
Being young is the new way to lead, OW's realm council consists of two twenty-six y/o's, one 24, and one 20.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Creed

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #177: February 07, 2012, 09:26:12 PM »
OW right now is probably the most boring realm you can be in as of right now nothing to do but sit around. We are to weak to attack anyone and nothing is happening inside the realm. I am thinking of just going around and asking every noble I meet to a death duel and see how long I can last.   

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #178: February 07, 2012, 10:26:18 PM »
OW right now is probably the most boring realm you can be in as of right now nothing to do but sit around.
I've been saying that about OW for *years*.

... and then I joined Fontan...  :'(

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #179: February 08, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
OW right now is probably the most boring realm you can be in as of right now nothing to do but sit around. We are to weak to attack anyone and nothing is happening inside the realm. I am thinking of just going around and asking every noble I meet to a death duel and see how long I can last.   

Go do that in Toupellon, where it's legal, they seem to like bickering and death duels, too. But mostly over religion.

The thing is, there is always a war at the end of the wait, because this is BattleMaster,and FEI is all at peace now, so something /has/ to happen...
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)