Author Topic: Accusations of cheating  (Read 33126 times)

Fury

Re: Accusations of cheating
« Reply #15: October 05, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Summary: Accusations of cheating
I do not see accusations of cheating in the letters made available thus far. More like indirect accusations of abuse and/or a lack of fair play.

And I think it's worth noting that the one of the accusers in this particular case has a reputation for having a... questionable view on how to play fairly. David D. is a lead figure of the old 'Saxon' block known for exploiting loopholes in the game code and accusing the GMs of deliberately screwing with their realms.
Background information can be useful. It could be ironic in this case but 'exploiting loopholes' could also be seen as 'playing within the laws as set by the game'. It can be a point of view. I was around when that happened.

In other words, there is nothing wrong with a public accusation of cheating so long as it is supported by proof or evidence. This fact should not be overlooked by us.
Agreed. That said, the evidence would be almost impossible to produce.

the secession of Colasan, and then Ozrat was planned by friends for ages in advance, and then all the titles and appointments were given to certain players the moment they joined, and were reserved until they joined.
Nothing wrong with this. Successful secessions/rebellions/colonies usually need prior planning including but not limited to distribution of titles. Don't like it? It can be handled in-game and in-character. OOC planning & communication? Sometimes these things can't be helped because:

[...] this case is not about whether or not Toupellon was involved in any OOC shenanigans (it wasn't...)
It is nearly impossible to prove. Either way.

Considering the purpose of the Social Contract (to create a specific atmosphere in game), I find it strange that it does not simply blanket ban public accusations of cheating altogether.
Public accusations, with or without proof probably does more harm than good. 'Public' would also need to be defined. I favour inclusive over exclusive. Rulers channel (for example) would normally be 'private' from an IG perspective but would be public from an OOC perspective as they are considered other players whom you would be accusing in front of.

Magistrate Notice: Any further off topic discussion will be deleted. Keep to the topic at hand.
Some 'off topic discussion' providing background information on prior events could be relevant as extenuating circumstances.

We need David . D's input.

Well, we obviously need to give him a few days. [...] We have to balance the need for timely resolution with our responsibility to ensure that the accused has an opportunity to defend himself.

Let's say five days - the amount of time when auto-remove kicks in? Then we pass judgement in default.