Author Topic: Religious power rankings  (Read 44944 times)

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Religious power rankings
« Reply #75: June 13, 2012, 08:03:00 AM »
This mindset starts with the presumption that conflict is bad, when in fact conflict is what makes the game interesting. The adherents of different religions in your realm ought to be competing for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do that. I wish more people used religion as a way to set goals for their characters and tried to promote the growth and prosperity of their religion the same way they try to promote the growth and prosperity of their realm.

This. This this this this this this this this this this this. Are you reading this? Because this. Simply and passionately, this. In fact, a redaction of this is going to be Sorraine's new member's notice.

Why doncha take em both at the same time! Surely a god favored realm like Sorraine doesn't need to worry about feeble stats like noble count, when deciding to take on realms!

With OW, it'll probably be 'taking.' With PoZ, its more or less destroying and allowing say... Cathay to take it. I don't want anything further south other than Isular and Topenah, the latter being a near impossibility. :(. This is the other reason why PoZ can wait.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:06:03 AM by Arundel »
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: June 13, 2012, 08:22:31 PM »
NeoSartania never needed other realms to be religious in order to start crusades against them . . . why do you think Morgan is somewhat wary of Sorriane being a theocracy of Sartania?

NeoSartania started exactly one war - and that was only with the very, very heavy prompting and pushing of Thain and C'thonia. Unfortunately it sort of backfired when C'thonia decided that a better prospect than allying with NS as promised would be to stab them in the back and steal their lands instead.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: June 14, 2012, 02:45:23 AM »
And then Cathay took some of C'thonia's lands. And Kindara took Cathay's. Round and round we go...

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: June 14, 2012, 03:29:05 PM »
The Trinity was around on FEI once before actually. It was an offshoot of the Trinity in the colonies.

Indeed, I founded it as an offshoot in Soliferum with the intention of founding a new theocracy. That never happened and we reached our fullest potential at the height of Soliferum's power despite it not being the official religion of Soliferum.

There are still a few active enough nobles in it, but Cid was the only one outwardly active enough to try and push his militant idea of religion wherever he could get away with it. When Soliferum died and Cid along with it most of the activity is gone. If the Trinity was on a rankings list I'd say we'd be toward the bottom, though I dont know how dead some of those other religions are since I havent heard of a good chunk of them outside the big ones.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: June 14, 2012, 07:21:02 PM »
Well these are the current religions of the Far East.

The Church of Sartan
The Order of the Elders
Magna Aenilia Ecclesia
The Trinity
Church of Echad
The Way of the Dragon

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: September 04, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »
And an update.

The Church of Sartan
The Order of the Elders
Magna Aenilia Ecclesia
The Way of the Dragon
The Church of Humanity

Am I the only amused that the topic started by someone saying Adgharism was the strongest faith? I'd rate the faiths as follows;

1. The Order of the Elders
2. The Church of Sartan
3. MAE
4. TWotD
5. CoH
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: September 04, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
The leader of the Order rates the Order as the most powerful. Shocking. :P

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: September 04, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
That doesn't mean he's wrong.

Although I'd rate most religions on FEI as pretty much powerless.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: September 04, 2012, 07:36:15 PM »
I may be a bit biased, but looking at the facts:

The FEI has 632216 peasants, according to the region list. The Order has 240000+ followers as of my last religion spread. 22 nobles, two of whom are monarchs, and a huge recruitment drive right now, and several nobles I know will be joining the religion shortly. Not to mention the South is almost solely the territory of the Order.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: September 04, 2012, 07:42:31 PM »
Who's the second monarch? Edmund?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: September 04, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »
I may be a bit biased, but looking at the facts:

The FEI has 632216 peasants, according to the region list. The Order has 240000+ followers as of my last religion spread. 22 nobles, two of whom are monarchs, and a huge recruitment drive right now, and several nobles I know will be joining the religion shortly. Not to mention the South is almost solely the territory of the Order.
Pfft... numbers. They mean nothing.

Well, not *nothing*, but mostly nothing. If you don't, or can't, do anything with them, then what good are they? Specifically, the peasant count. Who cares? Use it, or it means nothing. You've declared a holy war against Church of Sartan and what's happened as a result? I think one region lord sacked one temple. Woohoo! Victory for the Order, eh?

Meh. When I see entire realms declaring war on Sartanian theocracies specifically because the Order told them to do so, and marching armies to burn down Sartanian temples, then I'll consider the possibility that the Order may be something other than the bog-standard, crap-placeholder religion that comprises most of the Battlemaster religious experience.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: September 04, 2012, 08:01:25 PM »
Give a man some time. Pulling realms out of a war both sides are convinced they can win isn't easy after all.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: September 04, 2012, 08:04:14 PM »
If you really had any power, it wouldn't be that hard. ;)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #88: September 04, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »
Anyone who's played a noble in SA knows that a religion isn't truly powerful until they can make half a continent stop what they are doing and attack one city/stronghold.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: September 04, 2012, 08:15:35 PM »
Who's the second monarch? Edmund?
Yes.

Quote from: Gustav Kuriga
Anyone who's played a noble in SA knows that a religion isn't truly powerful until they can make half a continent stop what they are doing and attack one city/stronghold.

Ah . . . fun times.