Author Topic: Religious power rankings  (Read 44690 times)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Religious power rankings
« Reply #105: November 08, 2012, 06:20:46 PM »
Cathay has two or three Sartanist lords. They have a good amount of influence but the rest of Cathay was sort of by definition the "non-Sartanian" element of Toupellon. Galiard is probably on the same page as Morgan when it comes to uppity churches.

I wasn't aware that the CoH had burned a Sartanist temple though.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #106: November 08, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »
CoH does not.  Individuals do.

Well, CoH does not unless a crusade is called.  Which has only happened twice.  Both times on EC, but only because the other faiths were actively persecuting the Faithful.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: November 09, 2012, 02:25:36 AM »
I like when we have long discussions in the FEI forum. Seems to happen so rarely.

Velax's stance, which is probably well known by now, is that he won't tolerate any religious warfare inside Arcaean borders. You want to crusade, you take it elsewhere. He also frowns on other realms using secular war as an excuse to advance their religious cause.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: November 09, 2012, 02:59:25 AM »
CoH does not.  Individuals do.

Well, CoH does not unless a crusade is called.  Which has only happened twice.  Both times on EC, but only because the other faiths were actively persecuting the Faithful.

Wasn't it the prophet of CoH who burned down the temple?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #109: November 09, 2012, 03:20:44 AM »
1.  We don't have prophets.  If you mean the founder (as in the founder of the CoH on FEI), then no.  We never actually got around to promoting him to anything above Initiate.

Malos is the Grand Cleric Ecclesiarch of the Far East.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: November 09, 2012, 03:45:44 AM »
Edmund's opinion of religion is pretty similar to Velax's. He has a religious side, but he never allows it to take precedence over realm affairs and he really, really distrusts theocracies for a good variety of reasons.

Well, when they're absorbed and turned into a theocracy, I guess they'll learn.

I hope that never happens. That'd pretty much make a Toupellon-sized Sartanist pain in the butt for everyone. It'd take an awful lot for that to happen to Cathay though, I think.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: November 09, 2012, 04:23:12 AM »
That would be awesome. Wake up FEI from the stale rut it's in.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #112: November 09, 2012, 04:23:37 AM »
I like when we have long discussions in the FEI forum. Seems to happen so rarely.

Velax's stance, which is probably well known by now, is that he won't tolerate any religious warfare inside Arcaean borders. You want to crusade, you take it elsewhere. He also frowns on other realms using secular war as an excuse to advance their religious cause.

I do believe Velax actually threatened Henzo if he went on campaign into the rurals for this very reason, though it was a mistaken one. Henzo had no plans whatsoever for burning down temples, and could care less.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: November 09, 2012, 04:50:13 AM »
Well, when they're absorbed and turned into a theocracy, I guess they'll learn.

Sartania still goes through its twice-annual implosions, no matter what it is called. Galiard gets along with them well enough and legitimately likes them, but he's been around too long not to have a contingency plan - I'm not one to blow a lot of hot air on  the forums but I can't see the Church of Sartan ever making a successful power play in Cathay, at least not without a Sartanian coming to power as King. Very little would make Galiard, Edmund, and Morgan best buddies in a shorter time than the Church over-playing its hand in Cathay, and I don't think any of the current Church elders would try it. At least, if I were them, I'd have Galiard killed first, but as we've seen, that can be problematic for other reasons...

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: November 09, 2012, 05:03:15 AM »
I do believe Velax actually threatened Henzo if he went on campaign into the rurals for this very reason, though it was a mistaken one. Henzo had no plans whatsoever for burning down temples, and could care less.

Velax wasn't the only ruler to assume that Sorraine's adventures into Zonasan rurals were for the purposes of temple burning. Either way, Sorraine was needed in Haul.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #115: November 09, 2012, 05:23:21 AM »
The current crop of Sartanian elders are too pacifist. Which really sucks for a religion centered around a war god.

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: November 09, 2012, 05:51:24 AM »
The current crop of Sartanian elders are too pacifist. Which really sucks for a religion centered around a war god.

Part of the problem there is that only three people are playing the five elders. More activity and conflicting opinions among them would be nice, but Mathilda is plenty interested in war to make up for them.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: November 09, 2012, 05:58:14 AM »
I've suggested one, but there were no takers.

Broose

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #118: November 09, 2012, 06:26:26 AM »
I've suggested one, but there were no takers.

Suggested a war? I think I know what you're talking about -- it's not guaranteed to happen yet, but we're planning it in the new war council.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #119: November 09, 2012, 06:31:42 AM »

It wasn't too bad but then the only warlike one got excommunicated and murdered.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre