Author Topic: Strategic Secessions  (Read 19278 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Strategic Secessions
« Topic Start: October 06, 2011, 06:53:10 AM »
Strategic Secessions usually involve a war, the new realm isn't at war with anyone. The aren't going to be getting a capital closer to a war front.

From the wiki "Strategic secessions are prohibited. This means creating a new realm, through secession, in order to circumvent recruiting-in-capital-only restriction. Friendly secessions are okay."

The issue the realm is facing is one of control, there regions are too far flung to reasonably be able to expect to hold all their regions without tons of court and buro work.

"but otherwise it is going to come to its knees the second a decent group of realms decide to fight us."

So if it's done during a war, it's bad, but if it's done in preparation for an eventual war, then it's all legit? The act and intent is the same, the only thing that differs is timing.

The issue of distance between one border and the other has also been mentioned as a reason for splitting up. This is blatantly military in reasoning, it's just other words for saying that having the capacity to recruit closer to these borders would help defense should a war happen.

So you would prefer that the regions too far from the capital went rogue, to avoid the appearance of the secession being "strategic"?

I think "strategic" should only apply to actual military strategy--seceding so that your capital is closer to the enemy, for instance. Seceding because the game ENCOURAGES compact realms is merely playing the way the game wants you to play.

Well, that *is* the nature of most of the arguments that have been given. Nobody mentioned "distance from the capital" as a reason. People *did* mention how undefendable such a large mass was and how travel times from one side to another were too long. That the war has yet to be declared is of little importance in my eyes if the action is done as a preemptive measure for an eventual war.

Imo, this kind of thing should either be allowed, or we should remove the rule altogether. It's pretty darn impossible to prove that a secession was strategic. People will *always* be able to make up whatever kind of RP or historic motivation to justify what is, at the core, a strategic action.

I'm hearing a lot of talks of people wanting to break up large realms in order to form big strong alliances. After all, it's been proven that this helps reduce control issues, increases tax tolerance, and decreases tax tolerance of foreigners. If it starts becoming a fad, I would hate to see the people who are better at covering their intent or who keep any incrementing discussions on IRC or MSN be able to do their thing while other players of good intent be punished for not properly motivating what is essentially the same thing.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron