Author Topic: Strategic Secessions  (Read 19275 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Strategic Secessions
« Topic Start: October 06, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
The issue of distance between one border and the other has also been mentioned as a reason for splitting up. This is blatantly military in reasoning, it's just other words for saying that having the capacity to recruit closer to these borders would help defense should a war happen.
Wut? That's crap.

Big distances between borders means big distance from the capital to the outlying regions. Which means controlling those outlying regions eventually becomes a near impossibility. It is proving to be essentially impossible to keep the Akanos duchy under control. Distance from the capital is killing me. I get very large loyalty and control drops every day, that court work and 200% authority estate coverage just can't overcome. They are going to try and send an army north to try and get things under control, but I don't see it happening. I'll probably have to secede just to keep the entire duchy from going rogue all by itself.

Well, that *is* the nature of most of the arguments that have been given. Nobody mentioned "distance from the capital" as a reason.
Taylin has been telling Anatole that the distance from Akanos to Colasan was too big since before the realm formed. I had hoped that we could have Ozrat as the capital. But when the other two Cathayan duchies joined, that makes Ozrat unworkable for the old Cathayan regions. And since the realm is almost entirely composed of Cathayans, I don't expect us former Ohnarians to get any consideration, even though two of the original conspirators' duchies are Ohnarian in origin.

I'm hearing a lot of talks of people wanting to break up large realms in order to form big strong alliances. After all, it's been proven that this helps reduce control issues, increases tax tolerance, and decreases tax tolerance of foreigners.
Splitting your realm because it has become too big to manage has always been allowed, IIRC.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.