Author Topic: Random Encounters  (Read 3841 times)

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
Random Encounters
« Topic Start: October 31, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
I must say, this could be considered a low priority request. For me, it worth more for the roleplay and fun than everything else.

What about random  encounters, to make you only remember that you are on a world were fantasy is alive, even if low fantasy? Perhaps, while travelling, you could be assaulted by goblins wich took some of your gold or food, see strange things, or, even, dialog with the undead champion/leader or just an undead strangely counscious about his estate (or a ghost, a kind of human beast, or whatever). You could find a purse of gold/silver (as random encounters should target advs too), etc. What about a notice that your nobleman took the way round because he lost a fight for a knight of a bridge?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Random Encounters
« Reply #1: October 31, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »
BattleMaster is not Dungeons and Dragons.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 31, 2011, 10:45:29 PM »
BattleMaster is not Dungeons and Dragons.

And so? I'm sorry, we are not on the develop forum?

I know that BM is not D&d, and, as far as I can see, better than you. I am nothing asking for a crew to play roleplay as D&d; and, despite your singular and stupid answer, wich only shows that you prefer play as a mechanic thing, I know a lot of players wich would love this little change, only because they played BM for years, and the "log, click, repair, recruit, travel" or how to play BM in 5 minutes does not fulfill them anymore. The surprise as something less than a menace, sometimes, can make you smile. This is a game, a thing to all of us enjoy, and, I believe, any mechanic that could do it better is well appreciated. If you take a look at my first phrase, I told that even me consider this a very low priority request, a thing to develops think when they aren't implementing strong changes. If you don't want something, tell why, or be quiet, but, above all, try to do not say bul!@#$.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 31, 2011, 11:00:52 PM »
I know that BM is not D&d, and, as far as I can see, better than you. I am nothing asking for a crew to play roleplay as D&d; and, despite your singular and stupid answer, wich only shows that you prefer play as a mechanic thing, I know a lot of players wich would love this little change, only because they played BM for years, and the "log, click, repair, recruit, travel" or how to play BM in 5 minutes does not fulfill them anymore.

Let me expand somewhat.

Dungeons and Dragons is essentially cooperative roleplay versus NPCs.

BattleMaster is essentially competitive roleplay versus players.

Tom can, of course, come in and overrule me on this (as on everything ;D ), but from my interpretation of his statements on the subject in the past, we do not want to push BattleMaster more towards a PvE game.  Primary interaction always has been, and always should be, between players. 

If you want more roleplaying, you are welcome to role-play that the bandits who attacked you on the road looked like goblins, or that you talked with the leader of the undead unit that you fought before you destroyed him.

Furthermore, the "low fantasy" of BattleMaster is not likely to receive any significant enhancements outside of Beluaterra invasions and a small corner of western Dwilight.  The major point of BattleMaster is, again, the interaction between nobles, not having to deal with a fantasy environment with fictional creatures in it.

I apologize for being short with you before; I was busy, and hoped to convey a lot in a short sentence.  The idea of "random encounters," though, is a very D&D-sounding one, and does not mesh well with the general atmosphere of BattleMaster.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 01, 2011, 12:58:33 AM »
Let me expand somewhat.

Dungeons and Dragons is essentially cooperative roleplay versus NPCs.

BattleMaster is essentially competitive roleplay versus players.

Tom can, of course, come in and overrule me on this (as on everything ;D ), but from my interpretation of his statements on the subject in the past, we do not want to push BattleMaster more towards a PvE game.  Primary interaction always has been, and always should be, between players. 

If you want more roleplaying, you are welcome to role-play that the bandits who attacked you on the road looked like goblins, or that you talked with the leader of the undead unit that you fought before you destroyed him.

Furthermore, the "low fantasy" of BattleMaster is not likely to receive any significant enhancements outside of Beluaterra invasions and a small corner of western Dwilight.  The major point of BattleMaster is, again, the interaction between nobles, not having to deal with a fantasy environment with fictional creatures in it.

I apologize for being short with you before; I was busy, and hoped to convey a lot in a short sentence.  The idea of "random encounters," though, is a very D&D-sounding one, and does not mesh well with the general atmosphere of BattleMaster.

Ok, indeed. The thing is, I am not asking a PvE game. The sugestion was to put some random encounters, more likely easter eggs (have you played Fallout 2?), few things that are not likely to appear every step you take =D

Something like when the judge tries to confiscate the gold of someone and you "hide" it on a place better not say...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 01, 2011, 01:44:28 AM »
I must say, this could be considered a low priority request. For me, it worth more for the roleplay and fun than everything else.

What about random  encounters, to make you only remember that you are on a world were fantasy is alive, even if low fantasy? Perhaps, while travelling, you could be assaulted by goblins wich took some of your gold or food, see strange things, or, even, dialog with the undead champion/leader or just an undead strangely counscious about his estate (or a ghost, a kind of human beast, or whatever). You could find a purse of gold/silver (as random encounters should target advs too), etc. What about a notice that your nobleman took the way round because he lost a fight for a knight of a bridge?

I believe this is a frequently rejected request
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

egamma

« Reply #6: November 01, 2011, 04:09:17 AM »

Many of the things you are asking for, do in fact exist. If you travel with a lot of gold and no unit, there's a chance you will be attacked by bandits. Advies find many of the things you mention. If you want to force someone to go around the region you are in, by all means, set your men to murderous and warn them away.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 04, 2011, 12:04:46 AM »
If you travel with a lot of gold and no unit, there's a chance you will be attacked by bandits.

Heh, now there's one random encounter that happens to all of us once and thereafter, you ensure it never happens again. Damn Wirkfyrian bandits!

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 04, 2011, 03:11:22 AM »
Heh, now there's one random encounter that happens to all of us once and thereafter, you ensure it never happens again. Damn Wirkfyrian bandits!

Ha! Never happened to me. With my mighty strength I can fight off hundreds of bandits.

Its my own men that always get me. With their treachery, they tie me up and rob me of my gold, after complaining that "they didn't get paid".