Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1033535 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #1350: August 22, 2012, 10:25:15 PM »
...If you're that paranoid. I think there's a fine line between a healthy respect for characters' motivations and the fact that people lie sometimes, and not trusting anybody ever.

Is it really paranoid to assume that someone sending a letter to Allison or receiving a letter from Allison cannot be trusted?

Think on that for a second...
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351: August 22, 2012, 10:25:49 PM »
I also don't see the issue with using Crusade since that's a very Catholic term and SA is so heavily reminiscent of Catholicism that its not even funny anymore. Just go with the flow, folks. Crusade, Jihad, Purge, Holy War, Campaign, Divine Cleansing, Hammering, Smiting, blitz, movement, call it what you will.

Catholicism? SA? Really?

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352: August 22, 2012, 10:29:32 PM »
Is it really paranoid to assume that someone sending a letter to Allison or receiving a letter from Allison cannot be trusted?

Think on that for a second...

Well, when the letter sent (from Allison) was also sent to all full members of Sanguis Astroism, it's really kind of a stretch to imagine that everyone was in on some conspiracy. Not that such a theory won't, in fact, come into play. I'm sure Allison herself will make the argument soon.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353: August 22, 2012, 11:28:49 PM »
Catholicism? SA? Really?

Are you kidding me? Totally! You can draw many parallels between SA's attitude and political style and medieval Catholicism, if not the Holy Roman Empire itself. I find the whole current crusade discussion comedic in that regard. Like with the actual Crusades, nothing will ever happen unless someone else with power bands together to attack SA because without significant reward and threat, the SA nations won't band together for jack sh*t.

I'm talking style and attitude, not meaningless phluff Lore. I don't care that SA worships stars and all this. I'm talking about politics, theocratic interaction, and so forth. When I first joined Dwilight and researched (and was a member of) SA, it almost seemed as if SA was specifically designed to mirror Medieval Catholicism while deviating into Fantasy territory to better fit the game. There are so many parallels that it'd be a huge coincidence if it wasn't consciously or otherwise inspired by it. I think it'd do them a lot of good to keep that up, anyway, as medieval Catholicism/HRE was a massive powerplayer and had one hell of a solid sociopolitical structure that gave it the power it held. Its not about the beliefs itself - its never about the beliefs - its about how the religion is administered and structured.

Anyone can make a fluff-Lore for a fantasy religion. Few can do what SA did and create a theocratic EMPIRE.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354: August 22, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
Are you kidding me? Totally! You can draw many parallels between SA's attitude and political style and medieval Catholicism, if not the Holy Roman Empire itself. I find the whole current crusade discussion comedic in that regard. Like with the actual Crusades, nothing will ever happen unless someone else with power bands together to attack SA because without significant reward and threat, the SA nations won't band together for jack sh*t.

I'm talking style and attitude, not meaningless phluff Lore. I don't care that SA worships stars and all this. I'm talking about politics, theocratic interaction, and so forth. When I first joined Dwilight and researched (and was a member of) SA, it almost seemed as if SA was specifically designed to mirror Medieval Catholicism while deviating into Fantasy territory to better fit the game. There are so many parallels that it'd be a huge coincidence if it wasn't consciously or otherwise inspired by it. I think it'd do them a lot of good to keep that up, anyway, as medieval Catholicism/HRE was a massive powerplayer and had one hell of a solid sociopolitical structure that gave it the power it held. Its not about the beliefs itself - its never about the beliefs - its about how the religion is administered and structured.

Anyone can make a fluff-Lore for a fantasy religion. Few can do what SA did and create a theocratic EMPIRE.

I think you are very confused about SA, medieval Catholicism, and the religio-political significance of specific doctrines.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355: August 22, 2012, 11:44:33 PM »
I don't see what there is to be confused about.

SA's play-style and general attitude reminds me of medieval Catholicism. I adore medieval history and come from a heavily-Christian family so I've been heavily exposed to all the typical truths and half-truths regarding the subject. I feel that SA reminds me of medieval Catholicism in its power-mongering religious monopoly, fractured city-states, internal conflict, and inability to band together for a military cause unless the entirety of SA is threatened.

The first real-world religion that comes to mind when I think of SA is medieval-era Catholicism. I'm not trying to make any assumptions or assertions about SA - I'm simply stating my opinion on behalf of the vague connotations my mind connected betwixt the two.

Not trying to start a discussion (or argument) here :P There's nothing to defend on either part, either my opinion or the perceived integrity (or lack) of an SA-Catholicism ideal.

SA =/= Catholicism. They're as far apart as one can possibly imagine. Their doctrines, dogma, internal structure are nothing like one another. In order to avoid someone drumming up an excuse to start an argument I will once again state that the sole point of my comment was to state SA reminds me of medieval Catholicism due to the whole Crusade talk, how ridiculously dense it is at times, how its going through similar internal issues as the HRE/Cath did pre-Crusade era, and I find it altogether comedic how my mind drew this parallel. I've spoken to another of others who giggled upon making the same connections but again, its only an opinion.

Please don't use this as an excuse to declare holy war on me ;-)
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356: August 23, 2012, 12:01:11 AM »
SA =/= Catholicism. They're as far apart as one can possibly imagine. Their doctrines, dogma, internal structure are nothing like one another. In order to avoid someone drumming up an excuse to start an argument I will once again state that the sole point of my comment was to state SA reminds me of medieval Catholicism due to the whole Crusade talk, how ridiculously dense it is at times, how its going through similar internal issues as the HRE/Cath did pre-Crusade era, and I find it altogether comedic how my mind drew this parallel. I've spoken to another of others who giggled upon making the same connections but again, its only an opinion.

Any large organization with a diffuse power structure will face similar issues of collective action. I don't think it's a Catholic thing. As for the theological debates, a parallel could be drawn to the process if not the content, but again I think that you'd find that similar processes occur in any religion that is early (or really anywhere) in its development.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357: August 23, 2012, 12:23:35 AM »
The SA religion has a very strong policy to NOT try and band the realms together into a unified force. This has some OOC and IC reasons. For IC, we recognize that it would be pretty much impossible. And if you tried and failed, it could destroy the religion. For OOC, that would make things ridiculously boring. All the realms not at the front lines would die off due to boredom. (F.ex.: LE and Summerdale, even though they aren't theocracies.)

BattleMaster needs wars to keep people interested. That's why we run SA like so many people have wanted to do with realms: a group of realms that are free to fight amongst themselves, but band together against external threat. We just didn't try to turn it into city-states like so many claim they want to do with that kind of thing.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #1358: August 23, 2012, 12:30:12 AM »
Then again, evidence shmevidence.... you should expect the Spanish Inquisition after all.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359: August 23, 2012, 01:45:07 AM »
+1 For Indirik

And that's right. Everyone knows its coming, but Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. ;-)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360: August 23, 2012, 06:31:29 AM »
You're trying to spread the light of the Bloodstars, right? How about, "The Haemorrhaging". :D

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361: August 23, 2012, 07:25:36 AM »
Allison skates through another Magistratum trial?  Didn't expect that.   

New strategy:  Punish those who accuse you and who testify against you.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362: August 23, 2012, 08:56:40 AM »
Begin the purge Allison!
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363: August 23, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »
Skates through the trial? It's not over yet. Although the Magistrates are debating in private. (Boo!) If they clear Allison that fast, there's going to be a lot of pissed off people.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364: August 23, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »
Hehehehehehe! You shouldn't have waited so long to get it going. Now there's practically no evidence to consider, so even if there were messages significantly more incriminating than the ones we've seen produced so far it's too late now. We can't (won't) rule on hearsay.

I am sure there will be quite the fuss in the Church when we unveil our judgment, but I am very good at talking. I think I can get Allison out of this one without much more than a slap on the wrist. Why would I do that, you ask? Because it's fun. That and I look forward to seeing what she does next.  8)