Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1034440 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #3645: February 04, 2014, 02:56:33 AM »
The mechanics in this case were used in exactly the manner they were designed for.

Tim, I have a lot of respect for you and the work you put into BM.

But I think we both know this isn't true.

The mechanics were done that way to make the implementation of religion easier to code and to build off existing guild code, at least in some part inspired by the fact that pre-religion-code religions had operated as guilds. The mechanics were not "designed" IN ORDER TO ensure that the person at the top could have this kind of power. Indeed, the religion organizational features attached in addition to existing guild features (priest and treasury balance based immunities) mostly LIMIT elder power, rather than enhance it.

There is, to my knowledge, no Titan or Magistrate precedent establishing exact rules on this case. But the community reaction is prima facie evidence of a problem with the system. If you designed mechanics intended to have this kind of function (which I really don't think you did; I think you feel you're defending the game community from baseless briefers), then you designed them poorly. But, again, when you say you INTENDED the feature to work this way, I just don't believe you. I don't believe you built a mechanic designed to empower people who choose to play as if they are not playing with friends.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner