Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1016807 times)

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #3765: February 11, 2014, 11:55:06 PM »
Enoch was far from an unknown quantity. As I stated elsewhere, he gave every sign of being a faithful and loyal follower of both the church and the Stars. For example:
  • Vocal support of the church
  • Undertaking far-traveling religious pilgrimages
  • Fighting in the Crusade against Niselur as a noble of Astrum
  • No known past association with Jonsu
  • Never spoke out negatively/adversely about the church or the Elder council
  • Frequently spoke quite rationally and effectively as a full member of the church
  • Successfully campaigned and won a Consul position
  • Gave several good explanations when running for Regent. Wasn't over-eager, and showed no signs of wanting to do any kind of major overhaul or upheaval

Enoch gave every sign of being a faithful member of the church, with absolutely no signs of being any kind of disruptive presence. Everything was going along just swimmingly. And then suddenly one day "HAH AHA! JONSU IS REGENT!!!!!!11!"

Why do you think so many people got so angry about this? Did you think everyone was mad because they're not the ones in power anymore?

I wouldn't argue with that list. Enoch wasn't as active as many to the general assembly, but he did smooze the elders. That list does leave out some important things. How and why can spin most of that list into a reason never to give them power and to boot them immediately. One example: Enoch's 'pilgrimage' was a joy-rid through theocracies. He took fat rurals, sold the food to the highest bidder, fought a few battles at his leisure, then moved on when bored (not to mention looting Darfix and fomenting heresies in the theocracy). It seemed obvious at the time, but those on the top were busy and over-eager for cannon-fodder. I was going to openly recruit for Mysticism, but I thought it would be a sure give-away. I messaged a few advys and some nobles and tried to probe them to see if they would expose me, but probably not enough.

I would argue, however, that "Everything was going along just swimmingly". Terran failed, Niselur failed, the defense of Astrum failed, and the Inquisition failed. Along with monsters sprouting up and a heretic in supreme power....I'd say SA got off lucky so far.

To be honest, I'm not even sure why Jonsu was originally booted from SA. I know she tried to start her own religions, but the only salient memory of when she was in the church was when SHE WAS HUNTING FOR MYSTICS AS AN ELDER OF THE CHURCH. Even if you hate me and my character, you have to admit that it is fitting to hand the church to the only person who even got a sniff of what was going on. Jonsu did (and will) do things more in the church's favor than anything Enoch did.

Enoch had three initiatives as his Regency campaign. A kind of food bank (which I planned to pilfer), revise the charter (distraction if I ever needed it), and retake Terran (to war against the daimons). None of those plans got any traction from those who were in the position to further them. The biggest hindrance to all of my schemes and plans was the apathy and resignation in SA. You wouldn't think from how people talk. I don't know how much bait I threw out for how many other schemes. Too distracted by their own affairs to deal with the prophet's second, I suppose.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)