Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1016837 times)

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #3885: April 14, 2014, 04:16:38 AM »
This whole conversation is a tad ridiculous. The notion that Jonsu and only Jonsu talks about SA theologically is just silly; Constantine for example had a number of private sermons and religious discussions concerning balance and prophecy during the power-struggle (though since then I've had little time to play which is why I'm resigning him) and in fact I distinctly remember a public discussion involving Jonsu, Constantine and others regarding the exact nature of balance and embracing one Star over the others.

Furthermore the notion that SA needs more sermons to flourish has been counter to my experience playing there for a number of years. Apart from the discussions on the authority of the Prophet and balance during Allison's heyday theology rarely sparked significant controversy, and when it did it was often just a few players who would dominate. And even then such discussions were rarely based on huge block-text sermons but rather more dynamic discussion.
Of course I'm not saying that we shouldn't have as much theology/religious rp as possible, I'm just saying that attributing SA's decline to "not enough sermons" seems to run counter to my experience of the times when SA was flourishing.

Also can someone please tell me exactly when SA became this "kick-everyone out" machine that Stabbity and dustole are complaining about here? Admittedly I did take a break but both before my pause and since Helm took over casting someone out of SA has been the usual nigh-impossible lengthy process. Did something happen while I was away that changed this? And since SA's decline has really been brewing since long before I paused can it really be said to be the main cause of the problems?

The only time I saw a kick-everyone-out phenomenon going on was when Rabisu started the Inquisition and started going after Niselurians and anyone who sympathized with them. It was a whole Thing, briefly. (Started in an effort to make SA more interesting!)

And you're right about the sermons. Making sermons, or for that matter writing lengthy spiritual texts (cough), doesn't lead to more activity or involvement. I wonder if it might actually have an opposite effect? Who knows.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886: April 14, 2014, 06:22:19 AM »
The only time I saw a kick-everyone-out phenomenon going on was when Rabisu started the Inquisition and started going after Niselurians and anyone who sympathized with them. It was a whole Thing, briefly. (Started in an effort to make SA more interesting!)

And you're right about the sermons. Making sermons, or for that matter writing lengthy spiritual texts (cough), doesn't lead to more activity or involvement. I wonder if it might actually have an opposite effect? Who knows.
I think its most fun with a good balance of doing things and having flavor. The sermons are a nice read and they make the religion seem much less like its just a place for politicians to argue and spread propaganda.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887: April 14, 2014, 06:14:56 PM »
There has, in the past, been quite an effort to include different people in the building of the theology. When my character Brance started his second term as Regent, he organized weekly sermons. Several of them were saved and recorded on the Wiki on the Sermons page.

All in all, there is more theology written for SA, and by many more people, than for any other religion in the game. And by quite a wide margin, as well.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Thehatter

« Reply #3888: April 15, 2014, 06:10:26 PM »
dustole:

When the character Katrina Dragul stated there was to much ooc message in game. and that the next person to message would be finned. Taken as both Ic and OOC context.

Moto and others were talking in both ooc and Ic to full members of Sanguis Astroism

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889: April 16, 2014, 02:11:11 AM »
Ohh!  I hope you weren't too offended.  In SA you should take any ic/ooc concerns you have to the Justiciars.  Especially if Alaster(me) does something you think is wrong.

I only have so much time to give to BM.  I only skimmed that message.   I missed the fining part.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Quiet One

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890: April 16, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »
Aaaaaaaaaaanyway, how 'bout them Consul elections?  A fierce race between three great competitors, who knows what the outcome will be!  (cut to shot of snoozefest, no campaigning, no promises, no debates) Find out next time, on Sanguis Astroism Z!

The results are in with a dramatic twist ending.

Tune in next week for "Consul Elections 2: More nothing!"

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891: April 16, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
I used to be a consul.  8)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892: April 16, 2014, 02:09:57 PM »
The results are in with a dramatic twist ending.

Tune in next week for "Consul Elections 2: More nothing!"

Hopefully we won't do that again.  New charter reduces # of consuls to two.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893: April 16, 2014, 07:18:39 PM »

Two too many, probably.

Making things more democratic is a poor solution to low voter turnout. Voting is but one method of participation, and if it may be among the more just, it doesn't mean its always, or even usually, the best.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Quiet One

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894: April 16, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »
Two too many, probably.

Making things more democratic is a poor solution to low voter turnout. Voting is but one method of participation, and if it may be among the more just, it doesn't mean its always, or even usually, the best.
Personally, I'm a traditionalist. Three Lights, three Luminaries, and three Consuls. Scrap the Regent and make Archons non-voting unless we just scrap them too.

Enter amazing grew-up-on-a-farm analogy: Sometimes you need to trim a tree to keep it healthy, but cutting away too much can kill it all the faster.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895: April 16, 2014, 10:34:21 PM »
Personally, I'm a traditionalist. Three Lights, three Luminaries, and three Consuls. Scrap the Regent and make Archons non-voting unless we just scrap them too.

Enter amazing grew-up-on-a-farm analogy: Sometimes you need to trim a tree to keep it healthy, but cutting away too much can kill it all the faster.

If we had a ton of active people, sure. But we don't. The traditional eldership is too large to go back. As for the status quo, taking some of those select few active nobles, and giving them titles where they aren't supposed to involve themselves too much (justiciars), does the Church no good.

At this point I've pretty much lost faith that there's anything we can do to salvage SA.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896: April 16, 2014, 11:57:20 PM »
So what I'm hearing is that SA needs a charismatic new prophet who can break the apathy and restructure the church as needed.

I could try again, if you all would like.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897: April 17, 2014, 12:02:57 AM »
So what I'm hearing is that SA needs a charismatic new prophet who can break the apathy and restructure the church as needed.

I could try again, if you all would like.

*Ahem*
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898: April 17, 2014, 12:04:28 AM »
The man said "charismatic," Stabbity, not "hated with a fiery passion by nearly everyone." ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899: April 17, 2014, 12:28:52 AM »
Evoking that kind of emotion requires Charisma!
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.