Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1034412 times)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #450: February 18, 2012, 05:07:11 AM »
This point of view is something I find at odds with the station of many of the members of the University. Many of the most prominent "students" in the university would not "enroll as students". Nobles the stature of foreign rulers, dukes, heads of prestigious religions, would not become average, ordinary students. They would certainly be brought into the university as respected benefactors, supporters, honored professors, etc. The university would be falling all over itself to bestow any number of honorary degrees on someone with the stature of Mathurin. You wouldn't require him to write the equivalent of a term paper in order to be recognized as a Dean of Theology. And, to be fair, the same could be said for the prophet of Verdis Elementum, or whatever other religion has managed to survive and spread across a significant portion of the island.

I suppose this is an artifact of the guild system, though. Or perhaps the way the guild is run. But when you talk about "we're all equal here", I think you have to remember that some people are more equal than others.

That would be acceptable RP, but it was not what happened. Mathurin decided to enroll and become a student. And then he was called a 'mere' student. Had he refused to join as a student, or had he been invited as a professor or something, then it would have been insulting.

In my non-fictional example of Christianity and Islam, neither is based on Plato. I could probably find you Hindus citing Buddhists with ease; cross-citation in Chinese religious traditions is even easier.

Not really examples of inter-religious theological study from beliefs that do not share a common root.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).