Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1028067 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #2685: May 18, 2013, 07:15:19 AM »
Only to then see Terran revolt.

And a Phantaria-Saffalore-Aurvandil-Falkirk axis rise up against the church and the rest of the 'moot.

Why would Terran revolt?

Also... Phantaria/Saffalore is no biggie.

Aurvandil-Falkirk is a bigger deal. But they would only get to SA if D'Hara let them. And if D'Hara let them, methinks that would be signalling a waaaay bigger change: i.e. D'Hara deciding that SA was a bigger threat than Aurvandil. That would be a huge 180 from previous policy. Maybe an interesting one, but a difficult one to pull off: and one that would provide a great Lurian/Fissoan cassus belli against D'Hara.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686: May 18, 2013, 07:17:06 AM »
War declarations from 5-6 realms could be enough to subdue Phantaria. Yay, war protests?

I literally just sent the message asking rulers to start making declarations. :P Admittedly, many of them will be sending troops as well.

They won't be, if they don't attack Terran.

This is very true.

Phantaria can solve this problem, and even come out with a kind of victory. Hireshmont has offered Kale a dignified way out via what I think is a fairly clever little treaty arrangement.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #2687: May 18, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
I think Vellos is over-estimating just how many people support him...

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688: May 18, 2013, 09:24:22 AM »
Guys remember its not all about Phantaria, Saffalore is in this too as was Asylon until very recently, plus Aurvandil is still in a state of declared war with Terran although there's no telling if they'll actually attack.

This whole thing reminds me a little of how World War I started.

Well whether they agree with him or not a crusade obligates people to help him. Furthermore they've already had direct military intervention by two of the largest powers in their immediate vicinity.

They can be removed or silenced.

And if there's enough of them that can create a rift in the church. Say hello to Protestant Astroism and four hundred years of bloodshed and strife.

Woo hoo! Best thing to happen in SA since the Averoth/Caerywn war.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:30:49 AM by pcw27 »

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #2689: May 18, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »
That help is going to be much less forthcoming given the welcome last time we came.

"Get out of my city! Who said you could show up here?"

You'd think the only reason the conflict over the "Theocracy" could even happen would get a better welcome...

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690: May 18, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »
I think you are underestimating the power of the prophet. After that proclamation, !@#$ just got real.
That help is going to be much less forthcoming given the welcome last time we came.

"Get out of my city! Who said you could show up here?"
Try announcing your intention next time. With that trip Farronite tried to make to Balance's Retreat, you can't seriously be surprised when people suspect you when you show up at their doorstep, with a huge army.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691: May 18, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »
Try announcing your intention next time. With that trip Farronite tried to make to Balance's Retreat, you can't seriously be surprised when people suspect you when you show up at their doorstep, with a huge army.

Well, when they're your Federated allies... :P
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692: May 18, 2013, 10:15:46 AM »
Well, when they're your Federated allies... :P
Yeah, tell it to Caerwyn  :D
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #2693: May 18, 2013, 10:31:28 AM »
I think you are underestimating the power of the prophet. After that proclamation, !@#$ just got real. Try announcing your intention next time. With that trip Farronite tried to make to Balance's Retreat, you can't seriously be surprised when people suspect you when you show up at their doorstep, with a huge army.

The Prophet does make things tricky, but nothing more. I think you might be overestimating him. After all, there are many newcomers who haven't had time to be doctrinated in the "look upon the Holy Prophet in awe" aspect yet.

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694: May 18, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »

I think you're overestimating the amount of dissent. Very few of the protests actually came from people with serious power; the theocracies at least seem fully committed, and whether some minor Maroccidental lords care for the new Terran hardly matters. The only tricky one is of course the Farronite Republic with Gustav, but I suppose that depends on whether Khari really wants to give the Elders even more reasons to dismiss and criticise her.

Furthermore I think the idea that if Phantaria gets rid of Terran quickly the Church will just declare "oh well, we tried" and give up is misguided. I can certainly envision a re-conquest in such a situation.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695: May 18, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
Why would Terran revolt?

Also... Phantaria/Saffalore is no biggie.

Aurvandil-Falkirk is a bigger deal. But they would only get to SA if D'Hara let them. And if D'Hara let them, methinks that would be signalling a waaaay bigger change: i.e. D'Hara deciding that SA was a bigger threat than Aurvandil. That would be a huge 180 from previous policy. Maybe an interesting one, but a difficult one to pull off: and one that would provide a great Lurian/Fissoan cassus belli against D'Hara.

"If D'Hara let them"

Dude, you seriously overestimate D'Hara's strength. We are stretched thin as hell right now. And you want to call our nobles to help Terran and think that if Aurvandil wanted to help Phantaria, D'Hara would have any say at all in their ability to do so?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Hroppa

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696: May 18, 2013, 07:39:47 PM »
I think you're all overestimating the underestimation involved in overestimating the Prophet.

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697: May 18, 2013, 09:08:05 PM »
I have begun referring to Vellos, outside of his presence of course, as the Beggar Priest. And it seems that the majority of the senators of the Farronites are against this crusade. We shall see how this plays out.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698: May 19, 2013, 12:04:02 AM »
Farronite and D'Hara are the only strong devout realms in the area and at the same time seem largely against the intervention. I'm not sure how they stand with Asylon/Aurvandil, but it's precarious for them to take the brunt of the responsibility. I assume Morek, Libero, Niselur are too far away to hold troops in Terran. Corsantcum probably can't spare nobles for a long trek, Astrum might be able.

I anticipate this to turn into a geopolitical nightmare even if the crusade works.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699: May 19, 2013, 01:54:59 AM »
Farronite and D'Hara are the only strong devout realms in the area and at the same time seem largely against the intervention. I'm not sure how they stand with Asylon/Aurvandil, but it's precarious for them to take the brunt of the responsibility. I assume Morek, Libero, Niselur are too far away to hold troops in Terran. Corsantcum probably can't spare nobles for a long trek, Astrum might be able.

I anticipate this to turn into a geopolitical nightmare even if the crusade works.

My thoughts exactly.