Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1016059 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #3015: June 22, 2013, 01:33:47 AM »
Meh. We'll see. I maintain that Dwilight will be much blander once SA is reduced to a weak background flavor. Religion is pretty lame in most of BM; Dwilight is practically the only place it matters on a regular basis.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016: June 22, 2013, 01:37:23 AM »
Well then fight for your religion you little ninny  :-* :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:40:31 AM by Wolfang »

Telamon

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017: June 22, 2013, 01:44:16 AM »
Meh. We'll see. I maintain that Dwilight will be much blander once SA is reduced to a weak background flavor. Religion is pretty lame in most of BM; Dwilight is practically the only place it matters on a regular basis.

Who's to say SA will become weak background flavor? Even assuming that you lose the war, the worst that would happen would be SA being reduced in size. The Theocracies of Morek, Astrum, and Corsantum would probably still exist and have strong feelings/opinons. When you're pushed into a corner, sometimes things get more exciting.
Lewis Therin (Phantaria) – Lanfear (Fronen) – Ishmael (Adventurer/Phantaria)

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018: June 22, 2013, 01:47:06 AM »

I very much agree that should SA be reduced to a flavor religion in the coming war, Dwilight will be much more boring and BM will have lost one of its only religions that actually did anything. However at the same time characters interacting with SA by wanting to destroy it are not necessarily a bad thing either from an OOC perspective.

Frostwood

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019: June 22, 2013, 01:52:17 AM »
I argue that you are already there, by backing off.  What happened to the church of old....
Characters:Lain Frostwood, Ghostfire Frostwood, Talia(commoner)

Zakilevo

« Reply #3020: June 22, 2013, 02:09:18 AM »
I argue that you are already there, by backing off.  What happened to the church of old....

He is a southern republican! Burn him! He isn't a northerner!

Frostwood

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021: June 22, 2013, 02:24:24 AM »
He is a southern republican! Burn him! He isn't a northerner!
?
I hoped for a vigerous debate, but the church just backed off.
Characters:Lain Frostwood, Ghostfire Frostwood, Talia(commoner)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022: June 22, 2013, 02:36:13 AM »
?
I hoped for a vigerous debate, but the church just backed off.
Because Vellos sees cowardice as a good idea even though he just made SA basically a powerless religion. This war is needed otherwise SA is just a powerless religion because if they back off from this, then SA can't ever control anything any more if they won't go to war over it and the block against them isn't going to get smaller.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023: June 22, 2013, 02:37:46 AM »
The original intention of the theocracies was that they would at times war eachother, absorb, break apart and repeat. What instead has happened is stagnation and locked alliances that are killing what you love so much. Just because the theocracies fight doesnt mean SA dies. At the rate you are goong with noble attrition both your realms and religion will kill themselves off without any of us having to do a thing.  ;D
Thats the dumbest thing I have heard in awhile. The theocracies are weakening but they are far from falling apart due to loss of nobles and SA as a religion has more nobles than ever afaik.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Zakilevo

« Reply #3024: June 22, 2013, 02:39:18 AM »
SA becoming powerless might not be a bad thing actually. It opens up more room for other religions. SA was probably the most unique religion ever created in BM but that doesn't mean there aren't anything going to be like that in the future.

I think SA played its role and did well. Time for it to fade away and something else to revitalize Dwilight.  ;)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025: June 22, 2013, 02:42:13 AM »

What happened to the church of old is that lots of players on Dwilight decided it was more fun to tear things down than build them up.

SA became powerful because lots of players decided to play characters who were devoted to the church or at least cared about it and respected its spiritual authority; i.e. somewhat more typically medieval-ish characters. SA is weaker now because more players are choosing to behave like a less common kind of medieval noble (not non-existent, mind you: just less typical).

The Catholic Church didn't become strong by picking losing battles, and neither will SA.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026: June 22, 2013, 02:45:04 AM »
SA becoming powerless might not be a bad thing actually. It opens up more room for other religions. SA was probably the most unique religion ever created in BM but that doesn't mean there aren't anything going to be like that in the future.

I think SA played its role and did well. Time for it to fade away and something else to revitalize Dwilight.  ;)
There are five other continents with room for a religion like SA yet I don't see anything close to SA. And by like SA, I mean a religion that actually matters. In Dwilight SA is something I hear mentioned during decision making frequently, because it matters. No where else does religion really matter like it does in Dwilight and SA dying off isn't going to make it happen for another religion.
― G.K. Chesterton

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027: June 22, 2013, 02:45:50 AM »
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SANGUIST INQUISITION!

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028: June 22, 2013, 02:48:36 AM »
What happened to the church of old is that lots of players on Dwilight decided it was more fun to tear things down than build them up.

SA became powerful because lots of players decided to play characters who were devoted to the church or at least cared about it and respected its spiritual authority; i.e. somewhat more typically medieval-ish characters. SA is weaker now because more players are choosing to behave like a less common kind of medieval noble (not non-existent, mind you: just less typical).

The Catholic Church didn't become strong by picking losing battles, and neither will SA.
Tell me once where the catholic church was seriously offended by another nation and just backed off. If you stop enforcing things even if there is a bit of a struggle, then there is no longer power held by SA, especially when that block will sit there against you ready to act when ever you displease them.
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029: June 22, 2013, 02:50:52 AM »
There are five other continents with room for a religion like SA yet I don't see anything close to SA. And by like SA, I mean a religion that actually matters. In Dwilight SA is something I hear mentioned during decision making frequently, because it matters. No where else does religion really matter like it does in Dwilight and SA dying off isn't going to make it happen for another religion.

That's not, IMO, because of anything inherent to SA. That's because it was able to develop a significant powerbase without competition due to its status as the religion of the only Dwilight starting realm to be able to spawn multiple colonies in close enough proximity to become a bloc.

Though it's also partly because many of its early members really did care about it as a religion, and not simply as another form of power—in other words, because they were interested in the RP of it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan