Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1016408 times)

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #3825: February 27, 2014, 05:49:32 AM »
I'm still surprised by the rage-quits. You can't turn around in most continents without seeing someone make a dick move that will inevitably destroy a realm. A gang-bang here, unreasonable diplomacy changes there, backstabs/betrayals/secessions and allegiance changes scattered throughout. Everyone seems willing to fight in the most Machiavellian ways they can muster to make sure their team turns out on top.

I have seen lamentations and gnashing of teeth on the forum from dick moves. People usually carry on, though. I'm starting to think that some of the quits/deletions were just looking for a reason. I think it was Vellos who said he had been waning on the game for quite some time.

Even now I don't regret the decision to delete the character because it was much better than trying to muddle through an incomplete game system made broken by what I still consider a rather crummy attitude on the part of some people. The "winning" attitude, which has in this thread reared its head whenever the "winners" talk about the "losers;" in your case, painting them as rage-quitters gnashing their teeth who were just looking for excuses to stop playing; it's been described by someone else as "getting outplayed," and so forth. This is just not how I see the game, and I would rather 'quit' by deleting the character than go along with situations that, if the religion game had been completed (to the extend that the dev team would consider complete, taking into account the unprecedented size and scope of a religion like SA), or if certain mechanics hadn't been played to the near total exclusion of role playing, wouldn't have happened because they are unrealistic, implausible, and frankly kind of stupid. But I've tried explaining this before and it's just not sunk in with anybody so, eh, whatever.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #3826: February 27, 2014, 06:13:52 AM »
Even now I don't regret the decision to delete the character because it was much better than trying to muddle through an incomplete game system made broken by what I still consider a rather crummy attitude on the part of some people. The "winning" attitude, which has in this thread reared its head whenever the "winners" talk about the "losers;" in your case, painting them as rage-quitters gnashing their teeth who were just looking for excuses to stop playing; it's been described by someone else as "getting outplayed," and so forth. This is just not how I see the game, and I would rather 'quit' by deleting the character than go along with situations that, if the religion game had been completed (to the extend that the dev team would consider complete, taking into account the unprecedented size and scope of a religion like SA), or if certain mechanics hadn't been played to the near total exclusion of role playing, wouldn't have happened because they are unrealistic, implausible, and frankly kind of stupid. But I've tried explaining this before and it's just not sunk in with anybody so, eh, whatever.

Dude, I'm not a winner and I find the whole situation the "losers" have made this out to be as stupid. He did roleplay, and if he didn't do it to the degree where he would have no chance of pulling it off, well !@#$ing tough. Stop whinging about the whole thing and move on. It's you people who are making this to be much bigger than it really is, and won't treat this like the free game it is.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827: February 27, 2014, 07:09:17 AM »
And this just went to prove to everyone that investing yourselves in religions is simply a dumb thing to do.

You might be right in certain cases. Personally, I don't play the game to feel intelligent, or make responsible and logical choices - those are the pressures of real life. Instead, I play the game to have fun, and dumb decisions are often a part of that pursuit. For instance, when Alice was still live, she decided to go to war with Morek because of her ego. Extremely stupid, considering the ramifications (religious and secular,) yet so incredibly fun. Or when my character Caspius arbitrarily 'slaughtered' his own peasants because they were of a different religion. It later got him excommunicated, and subsequently killed. Still, incredibly fun, and the religion he was a part of seemed to really enjoy that entire situation, from what I can gather.

May all the characters who've made dumb decisions in Battlemaster never be forgotten!
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828: February 27, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »
Didn't Jonsu and Alaster give the reigns of the church to Helm? Is everything reverting back?
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829: February 27, 2014, 12:11:26 PM »
Didn't Jonsu and Alaster give the reigns of the church to Helm? Is everything reverting back?

No. Stalling as always.

Am I surprised? I'll let you guess that one.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830: February 27, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »
No. Stalling as always.

Am I surprised? I'll let you guess that one.

Jonsu stepped down and is no longer an Elder.   Prophet rank was changed and there are no more prophets
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831: February 27, 2014, 06:33:42 PM »
You might be right in certain cases. Personally, I don't play the game to feel intelligent, or make responsible and logical choices - those are the pressures of real life. Instead, I play the game to have fun, and dumb decisions are often a part of that pursuit. For instance, when Alice was still live, she decided to go to war with Morek because of her ego. Extremely stupid, considering the ramifications (religious and secular,) yet so incredibly fun. Or when my character Caspius arbitrarily 'slaughtered' his own peasants because they were of a different religion. It later got him excommunicated, and subsequently killed. Still, incredibly fun, and the religion he was a part of seemed to really enjoy that entire situation, from what I can gather.

May all the characters who've made dumb decisions in Battlemaster never be forgotten!

Good to see there are other players out there feeling the same. The people who rage-quit recently are the powergamers of BM, only happy when they are winning or on top. When real hardship comes they all leave with poor excuses. BM is an awesome game for all its faults and no matter what happens some of us will roll with the punches and use that to develop our characters.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832: February 27, 2014, 09:56:56 PM »
Dude, I'm not a winner and I find the whole situation the "losers" have made this out to be as stupid. He did roleplay, and if he didn't do it to the degree where he would have no chance of pulling it off, well !@#$ing tough. Stop whinging about the whole thing and move on. It's you people who are making this to be much bigger than it really is, and won't treat this like the free game it is.

You're only making my point. I wasn't even talking to you.

Same with you, Glaumring.

What are you even posting in this thread for? You're not part of SA, and by your own words you don't think SA is important or means anything either. You just want to tell me what a whinging powergamer I am. Gee thanks! It's awesome that you're here to insert your unwanted opinions constantly into other discussions!
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Zakilevo

« Reply #3833: February 27, 2014, 10:39:49 PM »
Glaumring,

If I were you, I would avoid directly criticizing other players. You may criticize their characters however.

People seem to lack the ability to think in the receiving end of this incident. Some people take things more seriously than others and you should respect that as well if you want your play style to be respected in return.

I swear you people will get this thread locked up again very soon.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834: February 28, 2014, 02:22:24 AM »
Good to see there are other players out there feeling the same. The people who rage-quit recently are the powergamers of BM, only happy when they are winning or on top. When real hardship comes they all leave with poor excuses. BM is an awesome game for all its faults and no matter what happens some of us will roll with the punches and use that to develop our characters.

It's funny, all this talk of winning...like there is a tangible scale to the game. I had Enoch at the top of the church, the good graces and open embrace of almost all of SA. You know what I sold it for? New contacts to smooze and SA's enemies good graces. Do you think Jonsu could offer more than the theocracies? My win was a restart. A dramatic restart, yes, but I felt like that was my due.

The quest for power is where it's at. Jonsu's player appreciated it, quite a few I've seen appreciate it. Enoch could have spent several more years shifting through Consul and Luminary and whatnot, but the game had run it's course. Someone with malicious intent had control. I still wish there were more of a struggle to regain legitimacy, but the church looks like it is back to its own volition (at least the main hall). Enoch gets to start over, Jonsu got a chance at supreme power, Helm gets to patch the 'loony regent' hole, heathens get to laugh at the debacle, and everyone wins..except the people who got their feelings hurt, I suppose.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835: March 01, 2014, 09:01:45 PM »
Moderator note: I have removed the last several messages on this board. Keep it civil, or keep it to yourself.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836: March 04, 2014, 02:39:04 AM »
So if I get this right, and the West becomes monster party land, Jonsu will be able to remain there physically forever while being free to harass everyone else in Sanguis Astroism as much as she likes?

There's never been any such refuge for rogue nobles on any continent before.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837: March 04, 2014, 02:59:51 AM »
Ooh, I'd love to see her try it...  ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838: March 04, 2014, 03:01:17 AM »
Ooh, I'd love to see her try it...  ;D

Are monsters gonna arrest priests, now?

Because if I get this right, she'll all the way in Zumaland now, spamming us all with the usual crap, and thus no way anyone can touch her.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839: March 04, 2014, 05:40:30 AM »
So if I get this right, and the West becomes monster party land, Jonsu will be able to remain there physically forever while being free to harass everyone else in Sanguis Astroism as much as she likes?

There's never been any such refuge for rogue nobles on any continent before.

Yea, that's exactly what I intend to do.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.