Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1016936 times)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #45: October 27, 2011, 09:18:45 PM »
Well, somehow I think SA has a lot to lose from this situation. First because Terran is far away, further away than Caerwyn is, so Astroist armies would have to travel more, stay in the field less, and stay out longer. Second because Terran, on defense, would have support from the 'moot, which would quite strengthen its position. Third, because it would make SA as a religion very badly seen in the Maroccidens, losing foothold in there, should it fight the 'moot.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Zakilevo

« Reply #46: October 27, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »
Hireshmont? What is that?

About the travel time, it isn't much of a problem anymore. We control the half of the inner sea. Things are now much quicker since we have gained control over Golden Ferrow. We do not need to attack Terran really. Terran can't do much to stop us from taking those regions they are claiming to be their own.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: October 27, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
In all honesty, it never occurred to me when I was planning Terran's expansion northwards several weeks ago that Demyansk would be claimed by anyone else. Partly I thought the colony was not going to happen for a long time, and partly because I mostly wasn't thinking about the colony much at all. I was thinking almost entirely about D'Hara's food supply, and it happens to be a rural within Terran's relatively easy reach. My only real thought about the colony was that, when it happened (in my mind in several RL months), Terran would have fully developed the region and, though Allison might want it, it wouldn't be as clear cut. At worst, if it looked like Astrum planned on really enforcing the claim, I had considered making it a "gift," so as to buy a bit of Allison's friendship. :P

IC-wise what Hireshmont may be doing I won't say. But, OOCly, I now feel like an idiot, because it really never occurred to me that anyone else would claim Demyansk... and though apparently everyone BESIDES Terran's Senate knew this, nobody told Hireshmont.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: October 27, 2011, 10:07:03 PM »
IC-wise what Hireshmont may be doing I won't say. But, OOCly, I now feel like an idiot, because it really never occurred to me that anyone else would claim Demyansk... and though apparently everyone BESIDES Terran's Senate knew this, nobody told Hireshmont.

The hilarious part is that Labell probably /should/ have known this... And certainly could have found out with minimal effort.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: October 27, 2011, 10:12:11 PM »
Well, somehow I think SA has a lot to lose from this situation. First because Terran is far away, further away than Caerwyn is, so Astroist armies would have to travel more, stay in the field less, and stay out longer. Second because Terran, on defense, would have support from the 'moot, which would quite strengthen its position. Third, because it would make SA as a religion very badly seen in the Maroccidens, losing foothold in there, should it fight the 'moot.

Why SA? This is a secular dispute between Terran and Caerwyn's successor. Astrum is merely championing the rights of the realm that will soon replace Caerwyn.

SA doesn't have much presence in the Moot anyway. I think we have one temple in D'Hara and only one in Terran, since a certain Chief Magistrate had one of his vassals close down the other one we had back when he was Senator of Chesny. Not likely to help him in this situation, actually, if anyone recalls that fact.  ;D

Edit: I take it back, we have three in Terran! Count me surprised. Of course only one of those regions actually sports any followers, I assume because its the one Senator Labell currently rules. In general, the only following we have in Terran is wherever he happens to be ruling at any given time. At least that's historically been the case.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:16:05 PM by Geronus »

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: October 27, 2011, 10:24:39 PM »
I believe the island of Port Nebel except for Qubel Lighthouse has SA Temples, with two SA Lords. Of course D'Hara also has Priest Constantine Meneldur as part of her Nobility. I believe that counts for something at least :) For the rest, I don't think much active converting is going on in D'Hara with Nobles.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: October 27, 2011, 10:40:23 PM »
I hate it when that happens!

Your letters are quite fun, though.

Out of curiosity, why did you seek Asylon as a partner in a treaty granting Terran domain over three regions that had absolutely nothing at all to do with Asylon? Was it just because Asylon was signatory to the original treaty? Because, really, that's the part of it that seems the silliest of all, and is probably pisses Brance off more than anything else. "Hey Astrum, we're taking these three regions. And it's all cool, because Asylon says so!"
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: October 27, 2011, 10:42:22 PM »
Everyone knows Asylon is the one that controls all the SA Theocracies behind the scenes, sjeesh!

Zakilevo

« Reply #53: October 27, 2011, 10:58:09 PM »
Everyone knows Asylon is the one that controls all the SA Theocracies behind the scenes, sjeesh!

Uhh really? I never knew that.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: October 27, 2011, 11:35:29 PM »

You've been talking to Glaumring too much  8)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: October 28, 2011, 12:54:59 AM »
I hate it when that happens!

Your letters are quite fun, though.

Out of curiosity, why did you seek Asylon as a partner in a treaty granting Terran domain over three regions that had absolutely nothing at all to do with Asylon? Was it just because Asylon was signatory to the original treaty? Because, really, that's the part of it that seems the silliest of all, and is probably pisses Brance off more than anything else. "Hey Astrum, we're taking these three regions. And it's all cool, because Asylon says so!"

That was my reaction when I heard of the treaty, and I didn't even know what Astrum's claims were. but I did think to myself "Uh, why are they claiming ex-Caerwyn lands without consulting the people that defeated them?".
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: October 28, 2011, 01:11:14 AM »
That was my reaction when I heard of the treaty, and I didn't even know what Astrum's claims were. but I did think to myself "Uh, why are they claiming ex-Caerwyn lands without consulting the people that defeated them?".

To build up a backed and ratified claim to use as a negotiation with the "real" claim holder. This was quite common, get other parties to recognise your claim in order to challenge other claims. It was helpful if those that recognised your claim also had a legitimate claim, but not needed.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: October 28, 2011, 03:10:12 AM »
My prediction is that there will be a hardcore faction of SA fundamentalists and a moderate core... There will be a war between these forces to decide the fate of Dwilight... Glaumring will win that war and become a living god worshiped by all and recognized as the second coming of the astral prophet ordained by the very Bloodstars and brought to earth to save all your souls and forgive your sins...  8)

He will be persecuted for his beliefs... Be tortured, and then hung on a red pentagram and die... Rising on the 3rd day...
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Zakilevo

« Reply #58: October 28, 2011, 04:52:26 AM »
My prediction is that there will be a hardcore faction of SA fundamentalists and a moderate core... There will be a war between these forces to decide the fate of Dwilight... Glaumring will win that war and become a living god worshiped by all and recognized as the second coming of the astral prophet ordained by the very Bloodstars and brought to earth to save all your souls and forgive your sins...  8)

He will be persecuted for his beliefs... Be tortured, and then hung on a red pentagram and die... Rising on the 3rd day...

I think I already heard three people with the exact same miracle lol

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: October 28, 2011, 08:02:28 AM »
To build up a backed and ratified claim to use as a negotiation with the "real" claim holder. This was quite common, get other parties to recognise your claim in order to challenge other claims. It was helpful if those that recognised your claim also had a legitimate claim, but not needed.

That would apply to regions that were never colonized or claimed by anyone. For example, D'Hara claiming to Desert of Silouhettes, and making deals with people to have them all recognize this to put pressure on everyone else to not contest the claim.

Denmyask, though? It seemed pretty obvious the Astrum colony would want it. And Asylon saying "sure, you can have it" doesn't really mean squat as they obviously don't hold any authority over it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron