Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1017295 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #105: November 02, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
This is so interesting because this is pretty much exactly how the whole Terran Senate feel's about Astrum on this issue.
No doubt. I would too, if I were Terran. And Brance understands that. Which is why Hireshmont's seemingly deliberate hostility and provocation is so frustrating.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #106: November 02, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »
Terran will have to get their lands by force.
Doubtful. Brance has already told Hireshmont that the claims are a trivial matter, over which he had no real objection. (Or something to that effect, I forget the exact words.) Brance has been objecting to the process that Terran has taken, and Hireshmont's seeming unwillingness to cooperate. Plus the fact that Hireshmont repeatedly delivers insults in almost every message he sends.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: November 02, 2011, 02:13:51 PM »
The idea that Hireshmont didn't propose a treaty is just silly.
But, oddly enough, that's exactly how I read it. The language used in the "terms" was completely unlike anything I've ever seen from a treaty, and completely unlike the treaty that Asylon and Terran had just signed. Plus I expected a much longer process. The fact that Hireshmont would have come out of proposed a complete treaty in a first message just seemed ... wrong.

If he had written up a formal document that said the same thing, he'd be lambasted as not giving Astrum a chance to contribute to it as well.

And besides: it's not like Brance ever proposed anything.
Brance hasn't ever gotten to the point of actual negotiations on the treaty. And now he probably won't. "You're lying. Now sign this treaty!" isn't something he is likely to respond to favorably.

We pick based on what is politically convenient.
Of course we do.

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: November 02, 2011, 04:09:07 PM »

And c'mon, who doesn't want rid of Allison? She's psychotic. I say that as a compliment. Sort of. If Barca was sitting next to Golden Farrow (y'know, rather than next to the Zuma), I think Julius might want rid of Allison too. Not exactly a stable border Terran can rely on.

You'd be surprised by how many people would want to keep Allison. I think this is because she gets things done. Or at least people think she gets things done. If she has a goal, she would do anything to get it. Luckily, her goals usually revolve around expanding Sanguis Astroism's influence.

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: November 02, 2011, 04:12:35 PM »
Hehe, yeah, I was talking south of the divide, so to speak. I do get the appeal of Allison. Charismatic leader who doesn't just sit around. Dwilight's good for that, especially by comparison of elsewhere. Jenred in FEI being an exception.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: November 02, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »
Hehe, yeah, I was talking south of the divide, so to speak. I do get the appeal of Allison. Charismatic leader who doesn't just sit around. Dwilight's good for that, especially by comparison of elsewhere. Jenred in FEI being an exception.

Can I state again how much I love Jenred being used as an example, especially for something like this?  Makes my day.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: November 02, 2011, 11:34:27 PM »
Pfft, Luria is better than the rest of the continent - far more fun!
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: November 03, 2011, 06:11:26 AM »
Pfft, Luria is better than the rest of the continent - far more fun!

If rebelling is your cup of tea, I suppose you're right.  ::)

Me? I think the southwest is far more interesting. I'd go into why, but all you really need to do is read a topic or two in here and it should become clear. Fun.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: November 03, 2011, 06:16:47 AM »
If rebelling is your cup of tea, I suppose you're right.  ::)

Me? I think the southwest is far more interesting. I'd go into why, but all you really need to do is read a topic or two in here and it should become clear. Fun.

There is more then just rebelling, there is DEFENDING AGAINST REBELLIONS as well. Actually the threat of rebellion is mostly a Luria Nova thing now, Pian En Luries is far to busy laying the ground work for more realms.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: November 03, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
You'd be surprised by how many people would want to keep Allison.

Exhibit A: Hireshmont
He knows nothing about Allison IC other than two small interactions, both of which were quite polite. Hireshmont right now has a perception of Brance as an unyielding, impolite Astroist radical determined to humiliate the Véinsørmoot, and Allison as more of a moderate, reasonable bureaucratic-sort.

I the player know this is insane. Hireshmont the Chief Magistrate does not.

Plus the fact that Hireshmont repeatedly delivers insults in almost every message he sends.

And here we see our characters' difference: Brance feels insulted, and so refuses to negotiate. Hireshmont feels insulted, and channels his rage by negotiating at an even more frenzied pace and breadth. Why? Because his reputation in the Moot and the Senate depends upon his being a reliable diplomat.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #115: November 03, 2011, 07:34:52 PM »
Allison as more of a moderate, reasonable bureaucratic-sort.

You owe me a new keyboard.  ;D
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: November 03, 2011, 08:47:35 PM »
Oh, I know how preposterous that characterization is, OOC. But Hireshmont has no idea.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #117: November 03, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »
He knows nothing about Allison IC other than two small interactions, both of which were quite polite. Hireshmont right now has a perception of Brance as an unyielding, impolite Astroist radical determined to humiliate the Véinsørmoot, and Allison as more of a moderate, reasonable bureaucratic-sort.
Crap... we got our roles in the "good cop/bad cop" routine backward.

I the player know this is insane. Hireshmont the Chief Magistrate does not.
Allison has been quite well-behaved lately. Which is really out of character for her, especially since Maddening is currently Bright and Superior. Maybe the fact that Austere and Auspicious are also bright as well is having a moderating influence. Although she did decline to agree to the border treaty, she did not outright declare that she would kill Terran for taking Lavendrow. :P

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #118: November 04, 2011, 12:41:14 AM »
No, it's not that the Maddening is being moderated that's having this effect, but that she's gone so far into insanity that no words or actions could properly act out what she is thinking.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #119: November 04, 2011, 01:52:29 AM »
No, it's not that the Maddening is being moderated that's having this effect, but that she's gone so far into insanity that no words or actions could properly act out what she is thinking.

Here I was thinking that she simply has become so crazy that she has passed right through the insane spectrum into something resembling normal.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.