Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1016154 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #195: December 21, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »
Sorry, Artemesia, I forgot to add this to my message:
Disclaimer: The viewpoints expressed in this message are the IC viewpoints of the character Brance Indirik. Any similarity to the views or opinions of any player or real human being is purely coincidence, with no relations, implied or otherwise, to the players, developers, or groupies of this game, forum, or web site.

Brance does have a long memory. But that's part of what I like about BattleMaster. Actions that you take matter to your character and your family, even years and years later. You forge a history for your character and your family. You don't get the instant equality of a respawn to fall back on. And that's just really cool.

And, really, get real. You sent a message to all rulers on Dwilight that specifically and directly challenged all theocracies of SA to bow before your might, and told everyone not in SA that this didn't apply to them. And then you try and say that you hope that the church doesn't get involved?  ::)

When he speaks for the Zuma unofficially I zone him out, but this seemed quite official.
As soon as Brance challenged Garret, Garret immediately backed off on his entire manifesto, with the exception of some vague claim about Turin. The entire demand went out the window with an "Ooops, sorry, my bad, that was all my personal stuff. Feel free to ignore it all." To my character that hardly seems to indicate that this is an official Zuma proclamation.

But even if it was, who cares? (Again, speaking from my character's IC viewpoint.) These Zuma are nothing to Brance. What have they ever done that's noteworthy? They roflstomped on Barca? Please... It's not like that's exactly a bragworthy accomplishment, is it? And who do the Zuma have fronting for them? The convicted heretic Garret Artemesia, who has been outcast from Sanguis Astroism. Suddenly, out of the blue, the convicted heretic makes proclamations that directly challenge Sanguis Astroism. And we're all just supposed to roll over and go belly-up like D'Hara did?

Quote from: someone in the Veinsormoot
"When the Zuma make demands ... we do what they say and don't ask too many questions."

And yes, that is a real message that my character received IC, deliberately creatively quoted (but only a little), because that's how Brance reads it. And Brance has (as far as he's concerned) the entire might of the richest, most powerful military machine on the entire freakin' continent backing him up. So yeah he is a little cocky. And he has good reason to be. Siege of Storm's Keep, anyone? Siege of Valkyrja? Destruction of Everguard? Destruction of Caerwyn? Defeat of the Raivan Empire?

Brance is going to react in a manner that makes sense for him to act IC, based on what he knows. And what he knows is that Garret is a heretic and a braggart. That's why he flat out refuses to deal with Garret. If the Zuma have something to say to Brance, they can send someone with honor. Someone who can be trusted. Rolling over and giving his belly to the Zuma, who are thousands of miles away, just because of some heretic's unsubstantiated claims? Pfffffft.... That would make no sense at all. (And yes, Brance does have access to quite a bit of information that most people don't, so he knows a good bit more about what's going on that you might think someone in Astrum would know. What can I say? People like to tell him things...)

And note that this is Brance's IC opinion. OOC, as a player, I know that what Brance is doing could all come back and bite him in the ass. Maybe it will turn out that this really is the Zuma's doing, and not just Garret's personal vendetta. And maybe the Zuma will decide to march an army up to Iashalur to check things out for themselves. In which case Brance will probably have to be at the head of the army that meets them on the field. But, hey, even if we get destroyed, we'll have fun doing it.

As a player, I think that what Garret is doing is pretty damn cool. The mouthpiece of the Zuma on Dwilight? Who wouldn't want to do that? And the potential that Garret is using his powers as Zuma ambassador to enact a little personal vengeance against the largest and most powerful religion the game has ever seen? Isn't that what every player would dream about doing? I bet that there's about 200 players that would love to take over Garret's role. If not more.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #196: December 21, 2011, 10:50:54 PM »
I find it odd that people would be in the slightest bit envious of my position. It is, for the most part, a thankless, gloryless job. You try your best to do stuff that no one else will ever know about (At least, not by the vast majority of players). You try anything, and there will definitely be misconceptions, regardless of actual character traits.

Yeah, Garret has history with SA. There's already been in-game messages about it. On an OOC forum, specifics are a bit dicey. Have I done similar things? Possibly. So...does that mean you want to stoop to my level if that is the case?

Anyway, I have nothing else to say about this. Good day y'all.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:54:31 PM by Artemesia »

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #197: December 21, 2011, 10:51:36 PM »
So...

How 'bout them Zuma, eh? I'm very curious to see how SA and the theocratic governments react to this most recent development. An SA crusade against the Zuma would be hilarious.

Well Garret's managed to get half the Elders into "prepare for war" mode so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out. The fact that such lofty demands were made against the Church itself and not just at Allison or Turn means that if the Zuma do march to war against either realm they'll have a crusade on their hands (unless they actually have some very convincing evidence, which I highly doubt).

Of course lets hope it'll all resolve according to peaceful means....

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #198: December 21, 2011, 10:59:07 PM »
Siege of Valkyrja?

I remember that battle. That was quite a sight. But where does Brance's confidence come from in relation to those battles, given what he knows about the Zuma?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #199: December 22, 2011, 02:50:54 AM »
But where does Brance's confidence come from in relation to those battles, given what he knows about the Zuma?
Well that's part of the idea: Brance doesn't know much about the Zuma. And, really, who does know much about the Zuma? Not very many people on Dwilight have ever fought against them. We've all probably seen the occasional huge battle report. But those are doubtless just wild stories the bards tell, right? But who has actually even seen a dwilight daimon, let alone faced them in battle?

So why should he be afraid of them? They haven't done anything very impressive. But Brance has been part of what is probably the two largest fortress sieges that Dwilight has ever seen, on the winning side. His side has been victorious in every war they've taken part in. So, why should he expect the Zuma to be any different?

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #200: December 22, 2011, 03:20:55 AM »
(cackles maniacally, and hopes no one discovers his true plan to set SA and the Zuma at odds while making it look like an SA plot to set the Moot and the Zuma at odds)

(also wishes he could really accomplish things like that)

Is it bad that this was one of the main theories before Garret just whipped this whole surprise out?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #201: December 22, 2011, 04:08:38 AM »
But who has actually even seen a dwilight daimon, let alone faced them in battle?

Most of Terran and Barca.

And probably many in D'Hara.

Daimons have literally sat on our borders for years.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #202: December 22, 2011, 04:16:04 AM »
Most of Terran and Barca.

And probably many in D'Hara.

Daimons have literally sat on our borders for years.

My Lurian character watched them march on Terran back in the days of the Dragon Queen. If that situation was anything to go by, then very few people have opposed them with a force substantial enough to draw conclusions from.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #203: December 22, 2011, 04:21:33 AM »
Well that's part of the idea: Brance doesn't know much about the Zuma. And, really, who does know much about the Zuma? Not very many people on Dwilight have ever fought against them. We've all probably seen the occasional huge battle report. But those are doubtless just wild stories the bards tell, right? But who has actually even seen a dwilight daimon, let alone faced them in battle?

So why should he be afraid of them? They haven't done anything very impressive. But Brance has been part of what is probably the two largest fortress sieges that Dwilight has ever seen, on the winning side. His side has been victorious in every war they've taken part in. So, why should he expect the Zuma to be any different?

Hireshmont II has personally fought them, and wandered around their lands on numerous occasions, and held personal meetings with Haktoo in the fiery pits of Volcano Nightscree.

D'Hara, Barca, and Terran have all seen 10k+ armies in their lands at one time or another; most recently we've seen those size armies in 3-4 regions at a time.

Only one person on the continent, to my knowledge, has been personally involved in multiple Zuma crises, fought the Zuma multiple times, and regularly gets a response from Haktoo other than "You have to come to Nightscree to talk to me." His name is Hireshmont, and he just messaged the Astroist rulers offering to answer any questions they may have about the Zuma.

So if Brance has any curiosities, he kind of just got handed the way to fulfill them.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #204: December 22, 2011, 04:31:25 AM »
So if Brance has any curiosities, he kind of just got handed the way to fulfill them.
I will have to see if it makes any sense for him to ask.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #205: December 22, 2011, 04:39:23 AM »
I will have to see if it makes any sense for him to ask.

Considering how well Terran and Barca have handled the current crisis (from the point of view of the east) I'm not sure I would go soliciting much information from any supposed "expert" from either realm.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #206: December 22, 2011, 04:59:37 AM »
Considering how well Terran and Barca have handled the current crisis (from the point of view of the east) I'm not sure I would go soliciting much information from any supposed "expert" from either realm.

Uhh... because they did everything they could with the Zuma to ensure the Zuma didn't destroy them all for something they were completely innocent of?

How else would anyone have handled it?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #207: December 22, 2011, 05:08:17 AM »
Uhh... because they did everything they could with the Zuma to ensure the Zuma didn't destroy them all for something they were completely innocent of?

How else would anyone have handled it?

Like I said, from the eastern prospective. Over here it appeared that Terran and their allies were rather reluctant to meet the requests, but also took their own sweat time in trying to negotiate at all. Correct perspective? Probably not but that is how it is. Similar to how D'Hara was convinced that SA was ultra militant and ready to invade on any pretext during the era of the Dragon Queen.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #208: December 22, 2011, 06:27:45 AM »
Like I said, from the eastern prospective. Over here it appeared that Terran and their allies were rather reluctant to meet the requests, but also took their own sweat time in trying to negotiate at all. Correct perspective? Probably not but that is how it is. Similar to how D'Hara was convinced that SA was ultra militant and ready to invade on any pretext during the era of the Dragon Queen.

That's the perspective in the east?

Out of curiosity, what gives/gave them that impression exactly?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #209: December 22, 2011, 06:46:31 AM »
That's the perspective in the east?

Out of curiosity, what gives/gave them that impression exactly?

The normal, the dribs and drabs of messages we get, general speculation within the realm. The same sort of stuff that leads to inaccurate impressions in real life. Oh and the fact that several of us have in the past been in realms in the west and distinctly remember the Zuma being a mere blip on the radar unless you sought trouble with them.