Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1027612 times)

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #210: December 22, 2011, 06:46:45 AM »
. . . he just messaged the Astroist rulers offering to answer any questions they may have about the Zuma.

*is sad that Elsebeth wasn't included on that list*

Elsebeth gets a little uppity anytime Libero's faith in the Stars is questioned . . . though of course there are some good historical reasons people do it.

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #211: December 22, 2011, 07:02:54 AM »
And, really, who does know much about the Zuma? Not very many people on Dwilight have ever fought against them. We've all probably seen the occasional huge battle report. But those are doubtless just wild stories the bards tell, right? But who has actually even seen a dwilight daimon, let alone faced them in battle?

My character has seen Daimons and knows a little bit about them. It wouldn't be in-character for him to talk about it, however -- more's the pity, because I'm dying to.

But Brance has been part of what is probably the two largest fortress sieges that Dwilight has ever seen, on the winning side. His side has been victorious in every war they've taken part in. So, why should he expect the Zuma to be any different?

There are 126 nobles in the six major SA-affiliated realms. Now of course not all of them are warriors, but just out of curiosity, how much CS do you think those six realms could raise per noble on average? Again, just out of curiosity.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #212: December 22, 2011, 07:04:44 AM »
Is it bad that this was one of the main theories before Garret just whipped this whole surprise out?

I'd have been surprised if it weren't.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213: December 22, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »
There are 126 nobles in the six major SA-affiliated realms. Now of course not all of them are warriors, but just out of curiosity, how much CS do you think those six realms could raise per noble on average? Again, just out of curiosity.
For any randomly selected group of characters of sufficient size, a 500CS average is not unreasonable. 600 CS or more is certainly possible with some effort. Anything more, and you're starting to push the limits of what you can do with "average" and "randomly selected". If you hand picked a purpose-built force, then 750 CS or more is easily possible with sufficient funding. But then you have a smaller pool, and your total CS probably won't go up too much, if any.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #214: December 22, 2011, 02:15:05 PM »
Uhh... because they did everything they could with the Zuma to ensure the Zuma didn't destroy them all for something they were completely innocent of?
They weren't innocent. If you were innocent, then they wouldn't have attacked, would they? You must have done something to provoke them, even if we don't know what it was.

Also, Brance finds it curious, and rather odd, that Terran is the one making the big push to acquire the items that the Zuma want, with D'Hara also doing a little. It doesn't seem to us like Barca is doing anything at all to help themselves.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #215: December 22, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »
So if Brance has any curiosities, he kind of just got handed the way to fulfill them.
Having reviewed the situation, I can say that it is unlikely that Brance will be asking Terran for their expertise on the matter. But the situation could change.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #216: December 22, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »
Having reviewed the situation, I can say that it is unlikely that Brance will be asking Terran for their expertise on the matter. But the situation could change.

Meh.

Then don't whine about it on the forum. Because you literally just had the most knowledgeable and experienced person in Dwilight concerning the daimons offer Brance a blank slate of anything he wanted to know... and he ignored it. You can still claim Brance doesn't know about or understand the daimons, but don't claim he couldn't reasonably know about or understand the daimons.

The normal, the dribs and drabs of messages we get, general speculation within the realm. The same sort of stuff that leads to inaccurate impressions in real life. Oh and the fact that several of us have in the past been in realms in the west and distinctly remember the Zuma being a mere blip on the radar unless you sought trouble with them.

Once we've got some benefit of hindsight, Hireshmont is going to write a formal "Here's what happened" type of thing. He is aware, through various ways, that this is the opinion of the eastern realms, and most perturbed about it.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #217: December 22, 2011, 09:00:51 PM »
Then don't whine about it on the forum. Because you literally just had the most knowledgeable and experienced person in Dwilight concerning the daimons offer Brance a blank slate of anything he wanted to know... and he ignored it. You can still claim Brance doesn't know about or understand the daimons, but don't claim he couldn't reasonably know about or understand the daimons.
Whine about it? Excuse me? I don't think I was whining about anything. I was explaining Brance's viewpoint of how thing were going, and why he was doing what he was doing. There is a very good reason that he is not interested in asking Hireshmont about the Zuma. And it is /not/ a general disinterest.

egamma

« Reply #218: December 22, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »
They weren't innocent. If you were innocent, then they wouldn't have attacked, would they? You must have done something to provoke them, even if we don't know what it was.

Also, Brance finds it curious, and rather odd, that Terran is the one making the big push to acquire the items that the Zuma want, with D'Hara also doing a little. It doesn't seem to us like Barca is doing anything at all to help themselves.

A little? D'hara is providing half the items. Barca is crippled by being unable to cash bonds or do anything in their capital city.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #219: December 22, 2011, 09:33:53 PM »

It's because Terran is the responsible member of the Véinsørmoot.

D'Hara is doing a pretty good job also.

And Barca is like the annoying little brother that always seems to be pulling the other two into conflicts and messes.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #220: December 22, 2011, 10:28:55 PM »
It's because Terran is the responsible member of the Véinsørmoot.

D'Hara is doing a pretty good job also.

And Barca is like the annoying little brother that always seems to be pulling the other two into conflicts and messes.

From what I've observed, D'hara is doing much more on the unique items front than Terran is. Probably mostly because D'hara has more contacts abroad due to their trade situation.

But during Barca's founding Terran contributed way more of their military than D'hara did.

All in all though, I feel like the Veinsormoot is very balance in terms of who does what.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #221: December 23, 2011, 12:18:40 AM »
From what I've observed, D'hara is doing much more on the unique items front than Terran is. Probably mostly because D'hara has more contacts abroad due to their trade situation.

But during Barca's founding Terran contributed way more of their military than D'hara did.

All in all though, I feel like the Veinsormoot is very balance in terms of who does what.

I agree.

That was mostly Kale's viewpoint  :P
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #222: December 23, 2011, 02:06:25 AM »

Indeed; D'Hara is doing way, way more than Terran is.

You have to remember that Hireshmont, when he is sending messages to a multi-national audience, isn't always operating as Chief Magistrate. More often than not, especially as it regards Zuma affairs, he is operating as Mootgram: the chairman of the pseudo-governing entity of Barca, Terran, and D'Hara. He's a unitary representative for all three realms in many areas. No decision making capacities in that regard, but certainly the power to represent and explain decisions already made.

So when you see "Hireshmont II Vellos" asking for items for Barca, or explaining Zuma policy, it can largely be read as "Véinørmoot" or "Barca, D'Hara, and Terran." On that issue. Not on everything, but on the Zuma we're pretty united, and, when we do have divisions, they get addressed pretty quickly.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #223: December 23, 2011, 10:15:43 AM »
Indeed; D'Hara is doing way, way more than Terran is.

You have to remember that Hireshmont, when he is sending messages to a multi-national audience, isn't always operating as Chief Magistrate. More often than not, especially as it regards Zuma affairs, he is operating as Mootgram: the chairman of the pseudo-governing entity of Barca, Terran, and D'Hara. He's a unitary representative for all three realms in many areas. No decision making capacities in that regard, but certainly the power to represent and explain decisions already made.

So when you see "Hireshmont II Vellos" asking for items for Barca, or explaining Zuma policy, it can largely be read as "Véinørmoot" or "Barca, D'Hara, and Terran." On that issue. Not on everything, but on the Zuma we're pretty united, and, when we do have divisions, they get addressed pretty quickly.

Our characters might remember that, if the Moot wasn't so keen on being secretive. My character only learnt the moot even exists a few weeks ago, and still has no idea what it does.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #224: December 23, 2011, 11:00:27 AM »
I think it's less about being secretive and more about expecting everyone else to know / figure out without our effort ;) (Which probably isn't a justified thought)