Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1017650 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #405: February 16, 2012, 08:14:14 PM »
You could always report it as an SMA issue if you feel that strongly about it.
That is an option, yes. But I don't have an issue with the way Creed handled it. As a player I think it's an interesting way to take it. My character finds it despicable. But then, Brance is often accused of having a stick up his ass. I don't think that Creed's actions deserve an SMA report.

What I find most disturbing is the casual acceptance of it, and even some support for it, among the entire guild. Even if I wasn't pretty sure the answer would come back as "Handle it IC", how would you report an entire guild as an SMA violation?  ??? So, I'm going to handle it IC. If Vellos hadn't brought up the DU, I wouldn't even be discussing it here.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #406: February 16, 2012, 08:50:14 PM »
"Meh, whatever... Just take it outside."

I think you're a bit harsh here. People were insulted. They responded by issuing duel challenges. The response of the Elders was, really, "Go and duel". It is an appropriate way to deal with insults.

If Branthorpe had not issued a duel challenge and asked for the student to be expelled, my reaction could have been different.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #407: February 16, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
I think you're a bit harsh here. People were insulted. They responded by issuing duel challenges.

The response of the Elders was, really, "Go and duel". It is an appropriate way to deal with insults.
No, that's not the response of the Elders at all. There are three Elders in Dwilight University:
  • Bowie - Ignored the whole thing. Did not address the incident in any of his letters to the group.
  • Pierre - "Duel if you want, just do it somewhere else." Your character, so you obviously know what you said. :D
  • Moritz - His response was in support of Creed, but wished Creed had put a bit more effort into his rebuke. Then he called the Holy Prophet of Sanguis Astroism, who is probably the most powerful man in the entire damn world, a mere "student", told Branthorpe to stop kissing ass (paraphrased), and called Branthorpe petty, cowardly, and murderous (not paraphrased) for issuing the challenge.

So, one of three elders (Bowie) ignored it, one (Pierre) said "sure, duel, but do it elsewhere", and the third (Moritz) just wished Creed had been more inventive and poetic in insulting Branthorpe, since "poetic insults are felt much more deeply then direct base attacks." (direct quote) Not a single one criticized Creed for his direct insult on a prestigious duke.

In any case, issuing the challenge in the DU channel was absolutely proper, because that's the channel in which the insult was given.

Zakilevo

« Reply #408: February 16, 2012, 09:59:18 PM »
Really? He called the prophet a student? He must be out of his mind. A crusade against him will teach him a lesson.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #409: February 16, 2012, 10:01:05 PM »
Really? He called the prophet a student? He must be out of his mind. A crusade against him will teach him a lesson.

His title is "student" within the Dwilight University. Depending upon how the DU is RP'ed this could be either extremely appropriate, or simply insulting. I tend towards the appropriate side of the spectrum. Because as was brought up, if you're a non-believer "who cares about this prophet guy anyway">
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Zakilevo

« Reply #410: February 16, 2012, 10:05:42 PM »
And since there are over 100 nobles believing the stars, it will be insulting to them. It would be interesting to see how the prophet will react. Too bad indirik will close down the only university guildhouse in Astrum.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #411: February 16, 2012, 10:08:39 PM »

Quote from: Moritz Von Igelfeld
Your religious mantra concerning the prophet does nothing to advance learning and by singling out a particular student for special praise you limit that students ability to engage in the conversation as an equal.

As if the Holy Prophet of Sanguis Astroism could debate theology as an equal with, oh, anyone. The whole tone and content of Moritz's was actually a rather clever insult.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #412: February 16, 2012, 10:19:57 PM »
  • Moritz - His response was in support of Creed, but wished Creed had put a bit more effort into his rebuke. Then he called the Holy Prophet of Sanguis Astroism, who is probably the most powerful man in the entire damn world, a mere "student", told Branthorpe to stop kissing ass (paraphrased), and called Branthorpe petty, cowardly, and murderous (not paraphrased) for issuing the challenge.

Regarding your response to Sir Creed, what has death ever solved? Do you feel so degraded by his words that you now must never see his face again? Are you truly so petty? Forgiveness is a far better course to take and shows more courage than your murderous intentions. Trust me, if he foolishly puts his pen to paper again without first putting his words to thought, his stay in these halls will be in jeopardy.

Sounds pretty paraphrased to me....

But, I see Brance's point. But I don't think your point is so strong as to warrant your statement "The Dwilight University is damaging BM's atmosphere" (yes, I can paraphrase too). But if you were to raise it IC, I'd see Brance's point.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #413: February 16, 2012, 10:30:31 PM »
Oh, it will be handled IC, one way or another.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #414: February 16, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »
Sounds pretty paraphrased to me....

But, I see Brance's point. But I don't think your point is so strong as to warrant your statement "The Dwilight University is damaging BM's atmosphere" (yes, I can paraphrase too). But if you were to raise it IC, I'd see Brance's point.

If such attitudes were the exception, it would not be damaging. However they aren't, and to be honest it is up to the more knowledgeable and long term players to try and correct this attitude. "Death solving nothing" is a pretty modern concept, but it is all too common throughout BM and Dwilight.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #415: February 17, 2012, 12:16:04 AM »
As if the Holy Prophet of Sanguis Astroism could debate theology as an equal with, oh, anyone. The whole tone and content of Moritz's was actually a rather clever insult.

FWIW, as a devoted vulgarity-reporter myself, I can testify that at least one other person has been clicking the vulgarity button quite a bit on Dwilight University messages recently.

IG, IC processes are available, and do seem to be getting some use.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #416: February 17, 2012, 12:28:41 AM »
I've tried once or twice, but someone has been beating me to it.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #417: February 17, 2012, 12:45:43 AM »
Just several days new to the University, the surge of SMA inappropriate letters shocked me quite a bit. I guess I've become spoiled being in contact with just Terran/Véinsørmoot for so long. I also attempted the vulgarity button on several of those messages only to be beaten to it.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #418: February 17, 2012, 12:55:11 AM »
Perhaps if the University truly lacks in living up to everything it really could be (and I think it has in some ways, the wiki stuff and essays, etc are pretty neat) it is time that some competing Universities were founded?

Especially for Sanguis Astroism its a golden opportunity to get some cool stuff going. Weren't most medieval universities very much Church run organizations anyways? At least founded and funded by them?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #419: February 17, 2012, 02:17:57 AM »
Perhaps if the University truly lacks in living up to everything it really could be (and I think it has in some ways, the wiki stuff and essays, etc are pretty neat) it is time that some competing Universities were founded?

Especially for Sanguis Astroism its a golden opportunity to get some cool stuff going. Weren't most medieval universities very much Church run organizations anyways? At least founded and funded by them?

I've many times thought a Seminary of sorts would be a neat thing for SA.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner