Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1016507 times)

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #735: March 26, 2012, 08:56:12 PM »
Step 1: Post a nice 500 gold bounty on the priest. Bounties are anonymous.
Step 2: Let an infil from another realm know where the priest is--you certainly wouldn't want an infil from your own realm to stab them.
Step 3: make sure that all of your realms' nobles are out of the region when the stabbing occurs, for deniability.

Genius.  Allison already has one of the highest bounties!  Stab away.  She is in Zuma lands right now so come get her!  I like drama.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #736: March 27, 2012, 01:19:23 AM »
War with limited aims however are perfectly fine. You can say "I declare war with the objective to arrest this man and bring him to justice. Once that objective is achieved, I will accept a return to peace".

If you really want to be friendly, however, what you should do is ask the priests' judge to ban the priest, and then arrest the rogue. If the other judge refuses to comply, then yes, you should declare war with all the consequences that imply.

Yes, so long as you are actually going to FIGHT to cause the change you want. Declaring war with a understanding that the armies will never meet and that no looting or anything will be done, that is wrong.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #737: March 27, 2012, 01:32:51 AM »
Seriously?

That's annoying.

Yes, but you can execute them.

The real pain, imo, is that you can't kick a priest out of a church. That, along with not being able to demote people with bigger debts than the lower rank's maximum, are the two most broken things about guilds/religion in my eyes.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #738: March 27, 2012, 01:36:39 AM »
So, SA is delayed in its conquering of the world. What is everyone to do now?

Also, since Allison is with the Zuma still, can we just feed her to them?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #739: March 27, 2012, 01:55:36 AM »
Step 1: Post a nice 500 gold bounty on the priest. Bounties are anonymous.
Step 2: Let an infil from another realm know where the priest is--you certainly wouldn't want an infil from your own realm to stab them.
Step 3: make sure that all of your realms' nobles are out of the region when the stabbing occurs, for deniability.

Which won't come even remotely close to stopping us from blaming whoever we want. Could be the realm the infiltrator is from. Could be the realm that let a priest get assaulted within their borders. Or maybe we'll let it slide. It all depends on what our particular goals are at any given time, not to mention what's going on in the halls of the Church.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #740: March 27, 2012, 02:04:04 AM »
Which won't come even remotely close to stopping us from blaming whoever we want. Could be the realm the infiltrator is from. Could be the realm that let a priest get assaulted within their borders. Or maybe we'll let it slide. It all depends on what our particular goals are at any given time, not to mention what's going on in the halls of the Church.

All of this for a dude being, at worst, unable to read his messages for a day or so.

I don't mean to metagame and all, but infil attacks have only been used as justifications, not as dissuasion (at least, not successfully on other continents than the Colonies, and perhaps even there).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #741: March 27, 2012, 02:35:51 AM »
All of this for a dude being, at worst, unable to read his messages for a day or so.

I don't mean to metagame and all, but infil attacks have only been used as justifications, not as dissuasion (at least, not successfully on other continents than the Colonies, and perhaps even there).

Yeah, but the IC implications are pretty serious.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #742: March 27, 2012, 02:42:03 AM »
Yes, so long as you are actually going to FIGHT to cause the change you want. Declaring war with a understanding that the armies will never meet and that no looting or anything will be done, that is wrong.

Eh, I don't know.

Placing a standing kill order on all neighbors, but never actually invading them, doesn't seem un-SMA to me. Declaring war for the purpose of auto-engaging any errant neighbor seems like a lot of fun. Way more fun than sitting at neutral would be. That is to say, I would see nothing wrong with two realms basically deciding they find it intolerable to have the other realm's nobles or soldiers ever enter their land, and thus declaring war, even if they have no intention of conquest. War could be plausibly and SMAly declared with defensive aims.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #743: March 27, 2012, 02:44:12 AM »

BoM just lost their General to a infil. We were probably lucky that we were refitting and not in the middle of raiding.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #744: March 27, 2012, 02:59:23 AM »
How often does an infil actually kill a noble when the infil attacks a noble?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #745: March 27, 2012, 03:04:57 AM »
How often does an infil actually kill a noble when the infil attacks a noble?

Never.

Not sure if that question was rhetorical or not.

BoM just lost their General to a infil. We were probably lucky that we were refitting and not in the middle of raiding.

Extremely rare occurence. The dude usually gets appointed/elected right back when it happens too.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #746: March 27, 2012, 03:11:47 AM »
Eh, I don't know.

Placing a standing kill order on all neighbors, but never actually invading them, doesn't seem un-SMA to me. Declaring war for the purpose of auto-engaging any errant neighbor seems like a lot of fun. Way more fun than sitting at neutral would be. That is to say, I would see nothing wrong with two realms basically deciding they find it intolerable to have the other realm's nobles or soldiers ever enter their land, and thus declaring war, even if they have no intention of conquest. War could be plausibly and SMAly declared with defensive aims.

I can't see a problem with that. Battles will be fought, if only small ones. My objection was an agreement to declare war, arrest a priest and then both side immediately sign for peace. Now if you declared war OVER a priest and the whole point of it was to arrest and punish him, sure that is fine, it was specifically the idea of a war with an agreement of no actual conflict that breaches the stated rules of SMA.

No declarations of war if you don't actually intend to fight, for example

Never.

Not sure if that question was rhetorical or not.

Extremely rare occurence. The dude usually gets appointed/elected right back when it happens too.

AT must be the exception then, I'm seeing quite a few people lose positions to infils. Sure they get reappointed when they return but the damage during that time is pretty significant.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #747: March 27, 2012, 03:17:01 AM »
AT must be the exception then, I'm seeing quite a few people lose positions to infils. Sure they get reappointed when they return but the damage during that time is pretty significant.

I haven't seen it happen in years, and there's been plenty of wars on BT and Dwi. Might have happened a few times without me noticing, but that just goes to say how much of an impact it had, especially if on BT as I was involved in most of the wars one way or another there.

The times I've seen people gone missing are usually due to capture in battle. Unless it's the general/marshal and he's the only active guy in command of the armies, it doesn't tend to harm much.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #748: March 27, 2012, 03:21:52 AM »

Not really on the Eston/Darka/Talerium/CE front. But maybe that is because it is essentially a big stand still most of the time.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #749: March 27, 2012, 03:22:51 AM »
I haven't seen it happen in years, and there's been plenty of wars on BT and Dwi. Might have happened a few times without me noticing, but that just goes to say how much of an impact it had, especially if on BT as I was involved in most of the wars one way or another there.

The times I've seen people gone missing are usually due to capture in battle. Unless it's the general/marshal and he's the only active guy in command of the armies, it doesn't tend to harm much.

So you mean it is a problem for about 60-70% of the realms in the game.