Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1028349 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #780: March 28, 2012, 01:33:34 PM »
Hmm, perhaps a change that could be done for priests to be able to be kicked out of their religion is if they are kicked out they preach local folklore or whatever it is that the standard religion is for a region before any priest preaches there.

Apparently it's intended, you can look for this very discussion.

I still think it's pretty damn stupid.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #781: March 28, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »
Eoghan's going to try running again this time, too.  Hard to garner support when I've no real idea how to play politics; I could always point fingers at everyone else and say "Look at all those guys, they're crazy!  Vote for me, I'm the reasonable one!"

You just need to lobby the right people. Starting with any of your realm mates who are full members is a good bet. Getting elected in BM is just like getting elected in the real world; you have to put yourself out there, press the flesh, and lobby as many individual people as you can for their votes. It also doesn't hurt to get people with influence to endorse you.

You'll also want a platform. "Here's what I stand for, and what I'll do if I'm elected" is a good start. "Here's what's wrong with the system and here's what I intend to do to make it better" is another viable approach. Eoghan actually probably has a decent shot at election. He's known to most of the membership at this point and he's generally taken the high road on the issues he weighs in on. Nothing to drag down your reputation, and plenty of evidence that he's a reasonable, well-spoken individual.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #782: March 28, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »
You just need to lobby the right people. Starting with any of your realm mates who are full members is a good bet. Getting elected in BM is just like getting elected in the real world; you have to put yourself out there, press the flesh, and lobby as many individual people as you can for their votes. It also doesn't hurt to get people with influence to endorse you.

You'll also want a platform. "Here's what I stand for, and what I'll do if I'm elected" is a good start. "Here's what's wrong with the system and here's what I intend to do to make it better" is another viable approach. Eoghan actually probably has a decent shot at election. He's known to most of the membership at this point and he's generally taken the high road on the issues he weighs in on. Nothing to drag down your reputation, and plenty of evidence that he's a reasonable, well-spoken individual.

Sage advice. Alaron, in contrast to Eoghan, is more of a maverick (I hate using that word, but it applies here). He is slowly finding his voice and becoming more active and vocal, as can be seen. For example, the pilgrimage to D'Hara, and of course the whole thing about the Magistratum. Given what he's hearing from Allison now, I wonder whether standing on a reform and/or anti-corruption platform would do him any favours. However, he is slightly unstable - the whole thing about removing foreign priests with the dagger probably does him no credit, even when he tried to frame it as being his prerogative as a Lord to allow or forbid preaching as he saw fit.

As far as campaigning.. well, he's sort of well-known within his army and usually volunteers for special assignments, so that may provide some backing. Also been a Lord for most of his time in Astrum, helping to rebuild his region. So at least he has evidence of taking action to fix things. Still might be difficult though. But it certainly will be fun.

On that note, what would it take to secure Lysander's backing? Name your price. ;D

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #783: March 28, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
Sage advice. Alaron, in contrast to Eoghan, is more of a maverick (I hate using that word, but it applies here). He is slowly finding his voice and becoming more active and vocal, as can be seen. For example, the pilgrimage to D'Hara, and of course the whole thing about the Magistratum. Given what he's hearing from Allison now, I wonder whether standing on a reform and/or anti-corruption platform would do him any favours. However, he is slightly unstable - the whole thing about removing foreign priests with the dagger probably does him no credit, even when he tried to frame it as being his prerogative as a Lord to allow or forbid preaching as he saw fit.

As far as campaigning.. well, he's sort of well-known within his army and usually volunteers for special assignments, so that may provide some backing. Also been a Lord for most of his time in Astrum, helping to rebuild his region. So at least he has evidence of taking action to fix things. Still might be difficult though. But it certainly will be fun.

On that note, what would it take to secure Lysander's backing? Name your price. ;D

You should contact him IC if you want to know whether he would support you  8)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #784: March 28, 2012, 05:27:03 PM »
@penchant: there will *never* be priests of paganism, or priests who are not members of a player-created religion. This has been firmly rejected.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #785: March 28, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »
Ok, just trying to find a way to kick priests out of a religion so they can't use it as protection while not forcing a class change.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #786: March 28, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »
Ok, just trying to find a way to kick priests out of a religion so they can't use it as protection while not forcing a class change.

I personally see no reason to not just kick them back into warriors. It's the default class, after all, and if they don't represent the church they won't be needing any priest-specific actions.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #787: March 28, 2012, 11:29:29 PM »
I think kicking out priests should wait until we have some sort of Schism ability.  There should be consequences to kicking out a priest.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #788: March 29, 2012, 12:08:30 AM »
I think kicking out priests should wait until we have some sort of Schism ability.  There should be consequences to kicking out a priest.

You say, thinking of how many times this might have happened to Allison.

But, what about griefers? We had a priest in SA at one point who was fairly obviously working with enemies of the Church, but we couldn't touch him just because of his class. Heck, we still can't touch him now that he's resurfaced. We can and have banned him from the theocratic realms, but it annoys me that he is essentially an untouchable spy in the full membership. If he wanted to make life unpleasant for us by haranguing or mocking us constantly, he could and we couldn't do anything about it. IMO a religion needs to be able to control who represents it; when someone is obviously not aligned with the goals of the religion, or even aligned directly against them, religions need a recourse to be able to simply kick him out. The Vatican sure as hell can defrock people; why can't we?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #789: March 29, 2012, 12:10:20 AM »
You say, thinking of how many times this might have happened to Allison.

But, what about griefers? We had a priest in SA at one point who was fairly obviously working with enemies of the Church, but we couldn't touch him just because of his class. Heck, we still can't touch him now that he's resurfaced. We can and have banned him from the theocratic realms, but it annoys me that he is essentially an untouchable spy in the full membership. If he wanted to make life unpleasant for us by haranguing or mocking us constantly, he could and we couldn't do anything about it. IMO a religion needs to be able to control who represents it; when someone is obviously not aligned with the goals of the religion, or even aligned directly against them, religions need a recourse to be able to simply kick him out. The Vatican sure as hell can defrock people; why can't we?

Indeed.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #790: March 29, 2012, 12:18:19 AM »
The Catholic church doesn't kick people out with an excommunication. 

definition:  to sentence (a member of the Church) to exclusion from the communion of believers and from the privileges and public prayers of the Church

If a priest gets excommunicated they don't suddenly stop being a catholic priest.  They would still preach Christianity.  Sure they couldn't go to rome and kiss the popes ring, but they don't stop being a priest.  The rogue SA priest you speak of is essentially excommunicated.  Any Theocratic realm he ends up in is going to ban him.  He will be ignored by most when speaking in the church.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #791: March 29, 2012, 12:57:15 AM »
If a priest gets excommunicated they don't suddenly stop being a catholic priest.  They would still preach Christianity.  Sure they couldn't go to rome and kiss the popes ring, but they don't stop being a priest.  The rogue SA priest you speak of is essentially excommunicated.  Any Theocratic realm he ends up in is going to ban him.  He will be ignored by most when speaking in the church.
Actually, yes, they do.  They could call themselves a priest, but legally they would not be, and they would not be a member of the Catholic (big C, is an important difference) Church, and thus would not be a Catholic priest even if they started their own religion or joined another one . . . they'd be some other sort of priest.

The Catholic Church, along with other churches, also has a procedure known as defrocking, which does not excommunicate someone, but simply removes them from being a priest (or other ordained ministry).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #792: March 29, 2012, 03:10:44 AM »
Actually, yes, they do.  They could call themselves a priest, but legally they would not be, and they would not be a member of the Catholic (big C, is an important difference) Church, and thus would not be a Catholic priest even if they started their own religion or joined another one . . . they'd be some other sort of priest.

The Catholic Church, along with other churches, also has a procedure known as defrocking, which does not excommunicate someone, but simply removes them from being a priest (or other ordained ministry).

Exactly. They would be christian priests if they want to, sure, but not Catholic priests. In the days, an excommunicated person was a persona non grata of the lowest social status.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #793: March 30, 2012, 07:20:05 AM »
Eoghan's going to try running again this time, too.  Hard to garner support when I've no real idea how to play politics; I could always point fingers at everyone else and say "Look at all those guys, they're crazy!  Vote for me, I'm the reasonable one!"

It's so weird seeing people use my not-particularly-common real name to talk about a character IC. I saw this post and thought, "Wait, what? What am I running for?"

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #794: March 30, 2012, 07:32:16 AM »
You have a pretty cool name then. :)
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton