Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1017550 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #1185: June 26, 2012, 06:02:54 AM »
Wow, conversation about SA is dying it seems.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186: June 26, 2012, 07:28:45 AM »
Wow, conversation about SA is dying it seems.

Well, you know, we've got wars to fight, people to kill, cities to burn; we've got a lot on our plates as it is.
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187: June 27, 2012, 12:04:24 AM »
So a schism has begun!!! Or has it?

My guess is Asylon chickens out when they realize they'll provoke a Crusade. Thoughts?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188: June 27, 2012, 12:16:27 AM »
Well I have to say that for our long-awaited first "schism", it is a bit of a let down. Not only was Allison not involved but apparently its now not a schism, but an unrelated faith that just so happens to include similar beliefs... >:(

Oh well, I'm pretty sure a crusade is still on the way ;D

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189: June 27, 2012, 12:18:04 AM »
It's not a schism, it's a heresy. A schism implies legitimacy.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190: June 27, 2012, 12:18:56 AM »
Well I have to say that for our long-awaited first "schism", it is a bit of a let down. Not only was Allison not involved but apparently its now not a schism, but an unrelated faith that just so happens to include similar beliefs... >:(

Oh well, I'm pretty sure a crusade is still on the way ;D
The thing is if it was Allison there would be no crusade and you know it.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191: June 27, 2012, 12:21:24 AM »
It's not a schism, it's a heresy. A schism implies legitimacy.

I disagree. A schism is never legitimate. If it was, there would be no schism. Schism's are always looked at as heresy by the other side. That's what makes them fun, interesting, and that's why the winner determines who was the true heretic.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192: June 27, 2012, 12:42:05 AM »
The thing is if it was Allison there would be no crusade and you know it.

It might not be a very effective one (depending on who takes what side), but as long as Mathurin remains Prophet, an Allisonite schism is pretty much guaranteed to cause a crusade.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #1193: June 27, 2012, 12:44:07 AM »
And is therefore likely not to occur. Allison may be crazy, but she isn't stupid.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194: June 27, 2012, 12:54:07 AM »
I disagree. A schism is never legitimate. If it was, there would be no schism. Schism's are always looked at as heresy by the other side. That's what makes them fun, interesting, and that's why the winner determines who was the true heretic.

Which is why there is an obvious orthodox, non-heretical, non-schismatic form of Islam or Christianity.

No; schism's are defined by the presence of 2 factions with strong legitimizing claims and strong political power. And usually schisms don't end with one side winning. The only demographically major schism of a major religion I can think of where one faction has well and truly died is Arian Christianity; but I'll admit I'm not extremely well versed in Hindu and Buddhist history.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195: June 27, 2012, 12:55:20 AM »
Which is why there is an obvious orthodox, non-heretical, non-schismatic form of Islam or Christianity.

No; schism's are defined by the presence of 2 factions with strong legitimizing claims and strong political power. And usually schisms don't end with one side winning. The only demographically major schism of a major religion I can think of where one faction has well and truly died is Arian Christianity; but I'll admit I'm not extremely well versed in Hindu and Buddhist history.

From what I understand, the catholic church stomped out heresy with some efficiency.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196: June 27, 2012, 01:06:48 AM »
lol yeah tell that to the myriads of protestant faiths..
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197: June 27, 2012, 01:12:57 AM »

Christianity has had a schism and it quite clearly involved both sides considering the other heretics in their beliefs.Alternatively, the presence now of sects in Christianity at least still consists of the various sects vehemently disagreeing with the others. Just because war isn't apparent between them recently due to modern times doesn't mean that its wasn't very divisive.

At any rate, this is somewhat off topic.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198: June 27, 2012, 03:23:23 AM »
lol yeah tell that to the myriads of protestant faiths..

Martin Luther was very late medieval. For the vast majority of european history the catholic church stamped down pretty effectively on most heresy. And in the case of protestantism, they certainly tried. They weren't very nonchalant about the whole thing.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199: June 27, 2012, 03:32:19 AM »
...Do you really think that the Protestant Reformation was the first major schism in the Christian Church?

If so, you really need to read up more on things like Oriental Orthodoxy and Eastern Orthodoxy.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan