Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1016933 times)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #1200: June 27, 2012, 04:34:22 AM »
...Do you really think that the Protestant Reformation was the first major schism in the Christian Church?

If so, you really need to read up more on things like Oriental Orthodoxy and Eastern Orthodoxy.

I never said I thought it was a first, I was responding to someone else's example.

And again, those were not "friendly" separations. The catholic church was in no way consenting to or even recognizing the creation of the orthodox church. What's more, the amount of heresies squashed out by the church outnumbers the few times where (major) opposing churches were successfully established.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201: June 27, 2012, 05:22:02 AM »
And I never said they'd be friendly. Certainly they labelled each other heretics and in some cases even killed each other.

But they were only schismatic because they represented a separation of the existing, legitimate powers of the church. Consider the difference between Jan Hus and Martin Luther. One ended up martyred, with his followers eventually having what, today, we would call autocephalous powers: heretical, but not, ultimately, schismatic. The other did not end up martyred, and he founded Protestantism: heretical and schismatic.

Schism without heresy is also possible.

Canon law is not a field which admits of loose definitions. Schism and heresy are different. Anybody can commit heresy. Only legitimate authorities can commit schism. Jan Hus never really got any major church authorities on his side; just some wicked good generals and good luck. Martin Luther got powers both secular and religious to come around to him (as did Anglicanism, Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy too).

Schism is defined by its legitimate claim to some kind of authority, but rebelling against the perceived "traditional" authority (though schismatics might see themselves as "traditionalists" as often as not). Heresy is defined by its teaching of doctrines which are contrary to church dogma.

If you want another example of differences between schism and heresy, observe the many nuances of responses in Christian communities to donatism, montanism, novatianism, and, the earliest example of maybe a real knock-down drag-out fight for the heart and soul of Christianity post-Hellenizing/Latinizing of the faith: Arianism. Arianism would have been schismatic had they not been so darned confident that they were going to win the fight for authority. They, unfortunately, miscalculated the tenacity of anti-Arian leaders– as well as the price of boat-tickets across the Empire.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:25:14 AM by Vellos »
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202: June 27, 2012, 05:23:09 AM »
Things are getting a bit interesting.  8)
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203: June 27, 2012, 05:42:50 AM »
No its getting annoying and not what I intended. Just another excuse to gank Asylon...
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204: June 27, 2012, 05:46:05 AM »
Well, take a break, don't get so emotionally involved. Remember it's just a game. Of course characters are going to go after Asylon. Characters are all bastards, with a few exceptions, and they're all political, with no exceptions.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205: June 27, 2012, 05:56:34 AM »
No its getting annoying and not what I intended. Just another excuse to gank Asylon...

"Everyone" (Astrum/Iashalur [and I don't even know if Corsanctum's really in this]) was already attacking Asylon, that's what happens when you smack everyone around you in the nose; you can't just backpedal off a hyper-aggressive war declared off a truce while simultaneously denouncing the claims they consider theirs by right of blood, it just isn't diplomatically possible.  Give it a rest.

Speaking of the Bloodmoon Cult, in character, you have Eoghan convinced that every bloodmoon tree on Dwilight needs to be burned to the ground; he believes the fruit addles you to the point where you can no longer act rationally (he perceives Glaumring the character to be excessively paranoid, irrational and prone to fits of rage, which he attributes to extended consumption of bloodmoon fruit).
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206: June 27, 2012, 06:02:50 AM »
This singular drive to destroy Asylon will create a hundred new Asylons to sprout from the earth like fruit trees.

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207: June 27, 2012, 06:08:07 AM »
This singular drive to destroy Asylon will create a hundred new Asylons to sprout from the earth like fruit trees.

AFAIK that's not the plan, though.  Pretty sure they just want Itau duchy, but I could be wrong; Eoghan's ruler at least isn't sharing much.
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208: June 27, 2012, 06:33:43 AM »
They wont get it. And if they do they'll never hold it.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209: June 27, 2012, 09:16:25 AM »
The thing is if it was Allison there would be no crusade and you know it.

You're wrong; the world would burn.

The difference, though, is that while I know which side I would be on, I'm not sure on which side I would bet.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210: June 27, 2012, 09:26:01 AM »
She doesnt need a schism anymore she's got SA right in her hand finally. Its the others who have lost SA. Not the other way around.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211: June 27, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »
She doesnt need a schism anymore she's got SA right in her hand finally. Its the others who have lost SA. Not the other way around.

I only wish Allison had as much power as you claim!
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212: June 27, 2012, 04:59:24 PM »
Oh don't be so humble.  ;D

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #1213: June 27, 2012, 06:32:28 PM »
Speaking of the Bloodmoon Cult, in character, you have Eoghan convinced that every bloodmoon tree on Dwilight needs to be burned to the ground; he believes the fruit addles you to the point where you can no longer act rationally (he perceives Glaumring the character to be excessively paranoid, irrational and prone to fits of rage, which he attributes to extended consumption of bloodmoon fruit).

You're not the first to come to this conclusion. The Storm Lands are being stripped as we speak.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214: June 27, 2012, 07:14:29 PM »
Oh don't be so humble.  ;D

Please, Allison couldn't marshal this kind of response all by herself. She's got far too many enemies to build an alliance like the one against Asylon.  8)

That's not to say she's not capable of manipulating other people to do it for her, though. You could argue that she did so in this case. That depends on how much of what happened she anticipated. I think she's crafty enough that she probably was banking on something like what happened to occur.