Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1026901 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #1335: August 22, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »
Well everyone understands "Bible" too, but we don't call the holy writings that.

Yeah, and?

"Crusade", in English, is much less Christianity-connotated than "Bible" is.

I don't know whether you're a native English speaker or not, but if you are, then you're being unnecessarily—and somewhat annoyingly—pedantic about this.

Please, don't try and rewrite half the English language just to excise the influence of Christianity from it. It's way, way more trouble than it's worth, and will confuse people if you start using your new words like they're supposed to know what they mean.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336: August 22, 2012, 06:16:57 PM »
and will confuse people if you start using your new words like they're supposed to know what they mean.

We do have some non-English speakers in Battlemaster. They would 'lolwut' at Starade.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337: August 22, 2012, 06:20:21 PM »
Well everyone understands "Bible" too, but we don't call the holy writings that.

That's because it's a proper noun, for which there are easily understood generic English equivalents (scripture, holy text, sacred text, etc.). Crusade is not a proper noun. It also does not have any synonyms that carry the same religious connotation other than jihad. Of the two terms, I prefer crusade.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338: August 22, 2012, 06:23:11 PM »
It also does not have any synonyms that carry the same religious connotation other than jihad. Of the two terms, I prefer crusade.

"Holy War"
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339: August 22, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
There could be evidence in the trial if anyone had saved any ot Allison's messages. But unless the Magistrates make a public call for it, I doubt any will surface.

But, meh... IG trials are mostly a sham anyway. Everyone goes into already knowing what they believe. The trials don't change anyone's mind on anything.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340: August 22, 2012, 06:30:10 PM »
I have some letters.  8)
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341: August 22, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »
"Holy War"

Fair enough. I still prefer Crusade.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342: August 22, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »
I have some letters.  8)

Argh, yes, and you did say so 11 days and 23 hours ago.

Do we want to read them? Gut feelings are so much easier.....

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343: August 22, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
Argh, yes, and you did say so 11 days and 23 hours ago.

Do we want to read them? Gut feelings are so much easier.....

I don't know, they're kind of heretical, and reading them gives me a heresy-y feeling. It might be better just to burn them so the ideas don't contaminate others. Especially when we're most likely about to have a.... BLOODY HOLY WAR OF THE BLOODSTARS. WITH BLOOD.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344: August 22, 2012, 06:42:53 PM »
I don't know, they're kind of heretical, and reading them gives me a heresy-y feeling. It might be better just to burn them so the ideas don't contaminate others. Especially when we're most likely about to have a.... BLOODY HOLY WAR OF THE BLOODSTARS. WITH BLOOD.

There, I threw you a line. Bite, or burn them, as you wish.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345: August 22, 2012, 09:42:58 PM »
I have some letters.  8)

I'm sure I can manufacture some letters. They're from around 42 days ago. Who can prove me wrong?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346: August 22, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »
Anyone who also received them, has a fairly decent memory, and can be trusted.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347: August 22, 2012, 10:07:52 PM »
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348: August 22, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
...If you're that paranoid. I think there's a fine line between a healthy respect for characters' motivations and the fact that people lie sometimes, and not trusting anybody ever.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349: August 22, 2012, 10:15:31 PM »
Crusade also exists in many other languages. Cruzada, Croisade, Crusada, Crusad, etc. Its pretty universal and not even the original term...

Origin of CRUSADE
blend of Middle French croisade & Spanish cruzada; both ultimately from Latin cruc-, crux cross
First Known Use: circa 1708

I'm pretty sure the Crusades were long, long before 1708 and thus Crusade is not even the original term used at the time of the actual Crusades. It has been called by many, many names, Crusade simply being the 'modern' Christian equivalent of the same universal idea.

It is a military Campaign shadowed by religious connotations. Simple enough for anyone to understand.

I also don't see the issue with using Crusade since that's a very Catholic term and SA is so heavily reminiscent of Catholicism that its not even funny anymore. Just go with the flow, folks. Crusade, Jihad, Purge, Holy War, Campaign, Divine Cleansing, Hammering, Smiting, blitz, movement, call it what you will.

It doesn't matter who does or doesn't speak English as their first language (mine was Portuguese, just for the record), what matters is whoever is running the RP and what THEY wish to call it. If I want to call my religion's military campaign the Divine Hammering or the Cleaning or Blitzkrieg or Crusade or Inquisition, what does it matter as long as we're RPing and having fun. ;-) They all mean the same exact thing anyway: military campaign with religious rather than strategic leanings. In other words, war for faith rather than gold or territory, though in the end it usually comes out to the same exact thing really.

C'mon, lighten up and have your fun RPing folks :-)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:17:02 PM by Ehndras »
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.