Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 1028233 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #1695: November 16, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »
Are you getting an idea of why these trials never go as smoothly as you expect them to go?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696: November 16, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
Apathy?
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697: November 16, 2012, 11:45:56 PM »
Oh no. Anything but that. Thinking the problem is apathy reveals a very deep misunderstanding of how SA works.

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698: November 16, 2012, 11:55:30 PM »
The real problem is Mathurin. He just never shuts up, that one. You can't get any discussion done because he's always going on about his cats. WE DON'T CARE ABOUT NIBBLES ANYMORE, PROPHET. YES SHE'S A CUTE KITTY. WE GET IT.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699: November 17, 2012, 12:00:26 AM »
Oh no. Anything but that. Thinking the problem is apathy reveals a very deep misunderstanding of how SA works.

Whoa thats deep man...  8)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700: November 17, 2012, 03:20:26 AM »
At least he's not crawling around and WANNA WANNA WANNA BIKKIT!
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701: November 17, 2012, 10:32:23 AM »
Brance wasn't an elder when the Charter was written. I think that was Pierre's administration.

Wasn't it started before? It's been in the works for a long time.

In any case, Pierre hates the charter. He'd scrap it entirely (except for the Creed, which he wrote).
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702: November 17, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »
:P
Brance despises the creed.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703: November 17, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704: November 18, 2012, 01:39:22 AM »
To me, the creed is written in a very modern way, like you're trying to explain your theology to someone who follows a different religion. "We believe the Bloodstars influence us." It sounds like you're not sure. The creed of the church should be a strong affirmation of self-evident truths. Things that everyone knows are true. The words "we believe" should be erased from the entire thing. There were other objections I had to it back when it was written, but I can't remember them at the moment.

Anyway, Brance doesn't really believe in the creed, and doesn't pay any attention to it at all. He's confident in his faith, and doesn't need some list of things he's supposed to believe. Those things are for people that don't really understand the Stars.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705: November 18, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »
To me, the creed is written in a very modern way, like you're trying to explain your theology to someone who follows a different religion. "We believe the Bloodstars influence us." It sounds like you're not sure. The creed of the church should be a strong affirmation of self-evident truths. Things that everyone knows are true. The words "we believe" should be erased from the entire thing. There were other objections I had to it back when it was written, but I can't remember them at the moment.

I guess I did not see that way when I wrote it, but that's a fair criticism. I'm not sure how to make it sound less modern though.

For the format, I based myself on the Nicene Creed, which is a 4th century document, but all the translations are modern. Maybe someone know enough greek to comment on the style of the original?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_versions_of_the_Nicene_Creed_in_current_use

Anyway, Brance doesn't really believe in the creed, and doesn't pay any attention to it at all. He's confident in his faith, and doesn't need some list of things he's supposed to believe. Those things are for people that don't really understand the Stars.

Mostly the Creed is for new people. If you join SA today, it's a good summary. Many people never read the sermons.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706: November 18, 2012, 05:18:22 PM »
Many in SA are in it for the power the religion bit is a nice addition tooas a side game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707: November 18, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »
Which pretty much makes it the same as any other religion.

Any *succesful* religion, that is.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708: November 18, 2012, 05:54:36 PM »
Which pretty much makes it the same as any other religion.

Any *succesful* religion, that is.
+1, if they have that much power, they are doing it right.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709: November 18, 2012, 06:55:20 PM »

"We believe" is not for explaining to other people, but as a confession of joining a faith– self-identification. As noted, it stems, in liturgical usage, from the Christian creedal tradition, and then takes another use in the shahadah of Islam.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner