Author Topic: Heraldry making  (Read 6886 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Heraldry making
« Topic Start: March 09, 2011, 12:04:05 AM »
A while ago Talita (Player of the Bluelake family) showed me a website where I could build my own banners. It was nice, but I liked the freedom to photomanipulate my own designs.

Anyway, how do you guys make your banners? Also, how much attention do you pay to the rules of heraldry? Back in fifth grade I had to do this King Arthur skit that was supposed to abide by the rules of heraldry in our coats of arms, and I remember reading something about terminology and which color combos were allowed. But looking at the banners that currently exist, there is no way that all of them adhere to any rules of Medieval heraldry. Of course, that's not a bad thing, but could someone please point out which banners would actually be historically acceptable?

Edit: Since some people think I am complaining/commenting/whatever about how many banners don't follow the rules of heraldry, let me make this very, very clear. I'll even bold it for easier viewing.

I do not care that the banners in BM do not always follow rules of heraldry. I understand there may be different "rules", and I also do not care that banners in BM do not always follow any or some of those rules. I am in full support of the uniqueness of our current banners. The point of me asking about what banners you have found follow some rule of heraldry was to see which banners, if any, would be historicaly viable. I fully understand that there is no requirement for this, and that even banners that might follow some rule might not have ever seen use due to various other factors. I was simply curious about Medieval heraldry and wanted to see if anyone here was versed in it and also made banners.

Thank you for understanding. Take care.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:30:49 PM by Artemesia »

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: Heraldry making
« Reply #1: March 09, 2011, 12:16:42 AM »
  • GIMP for editing/combining images
  • Wikimedia for heraldry related elements

And if I build one, I just build one that pleases my eye. I don't care about the rules.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 09, 2011, 12:44:36 AM »
The heraldry rules for which nation or culture do you refer to :). There is no universal system, though much of Europe had somewhat similar systems. Since we are not RPing historic realms, I see no real reason to have to follow the rules anyway.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: March 09, 2011, 12:49:44 AM »
My point was to ask what banners have you noticed followed soke rules of heraldry. I even said that the unique flavors might be a good thing. However this is the Background board so we could search for stuff that might make sense in whatever real context.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #4: March 09, 2011, 03:39:15 AM »
I believe another dev (squirrel) was working on a heraldry system for BM, it sounded quite awesome, though he never got around to finishing it.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 09, 2011, 05:50:50 AM »
Pure Photoshop  8)
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 09, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
I'm not sure if this will help deal with the banner issue, but it might nevertheless help deal with the heraldic one.

http://inkwellideas.com/coat_of_arms/
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #7: March 09, 2011, 06:35:15 PM »
Any ideas on how to fix images with different resolutions? For example, I once made a banner where the background was ok but one of the images in it was all blurry.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 09, 2011, 07:00:25 PM »
I made up a story and meaning behind the one CoA I created, that's it :)

In some way, some of the rules, especially concerning the 'animals' are tather dull.

"Yay I'm a dog" .. :p

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 09, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »
If you want to know the general rules for medieval European heraldry:

http://heraldry.sca.org/primer/

Different cultures and time periods had more specific customs, but that covers the basic and mostly universal parts.