Author Topic: New here, to SpellMaster III.  (Read 7498 times)

Anarki_Hunter

• Knight
  • Gra'd Arbitrator
    • View Profile
New here, to SpellMaster III.
« Topic Start: October 12, 2011, 06:26:07 PM »
How do I start up!, I submitted 3 spells for make up and I see a test run sticky thread with some adhoc as well as a group interaction.
Any information will be appreciated, I am keen on being a part of this...  :)

I started up with some skills in magic, but upon clicking the 'get your starter package' resulted with a notification being displayed that:
"With your currently selected intents and/or bases, only a very small selection of spells is available. Please try again later. Remember, you automatically get 1 XP every hour."

Thou I am unsure how 'Remember, you automatically get 1 XP every hour' is related.

- - -

Following are the spells I put up for proposal..
Air bomb   Create   Air   4   proposed   
Blow air   Control   Air   2   proposed   
Summon Stick   Create   Earth   4   proposed

Also, I have a query of how one can define spells?.
Example: Air Bomb, would I need to touch or point to the target; where would i create it and at how much distance!.

Can you also case multiple spells per round!

Can you interconnect spells and wait for interactivity! Can/how_can one do it?.
lets say I want to throw a stick in random direction with an air bomb, but for that I would need to cast Summon Stick, throw it infront of me and I want to cast Air bomb immediately. But I won't be able to do it from RP perceptive because it would be a RP fail/mechanic-ism fail if I were to fizzle casting summon stick and then write it up that I threw it infront of me)

Ty
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 06:35:29 PM by Anarki_Hunter »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: New here, to SpellMaster III.
« Reply #1: October 12, 2011, 06:32:09 PM »
Welcome to SpellMaster III! I recommend that to get started, you thoroughly read the entire SpellMaster web site (it's really not that big) and as much of the SM3 forum threads as you can stand to read. :P

The XP comment is due to the fact that your character receives one XP per hour, just for existing. You can spend these XP to buy skills (bases and intents) which determine what spells you can cast. A new character probably won't have much XP to spend, so you would have purchased few of the bases and intents. Therefore you would not really be able to use many of the spells you would get to start with. (I didn't even know there was a "starter pack"!)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 12, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »
Also, I have a query of how one can define spells?.
Example: Air Bomb, would I need to touch or point to the target; where would i create it and at how much distance!.

All spells are line of sight targeted until/unless you get to the really high powered spells.  I don't think you need to point even, so long as you hold the target firmly in mind.

Can you also case multiple spells per round!

Depends on the situation.  There are not set "rounds", but if you're casting a spell that another player might want to do something about (say, fighting a magic duel with another PC) then you basically need to just do one at a time.  If you're standing on a hilltop as a bunch of pikemen charge at you, you may only have time to cast one spell.  If, however, you are flying through the air above bow-shot range, you can probably cast as many spells as you want to roast the army below  :D

Can you interconnect spells and wait for interactivity! Can/how_can one do it?.
lets say I want to throw a stick in random direction with an air bomb, but for that I would need to cast Summon Stick, throw it infront of me and I want to cast Air bomb immediately. But I won't be able to do it from RP perceptive because it would be a RP fail/mechanic-ism fail if I were to fizzle casting summon stick and then write it up that I threw it infront of me)

Spells don't fizzle.  Spontaneous casting can fizzle, but spells are not the same.  They either work, or they don't (because you don't have enough concentration, energy, or skill), and you know which it will be.

Magic also can't have direct interactions with other magic, as that would require a base of Magic, which does not exist.  However, the example you described would be fine, as you're modifying something physical and then modifying something else physical, and those can interact with each other.  Similarly, you could create an oil slick, and then light it on fire.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: October 12, 2011, 06:48:49 PM »
I believe you start with 100 XP.

At the moment, I believe Tom is some what busy. And other GMs are somewhat less active. So things are going slowly. But that doesn't mean you cannot enjoy the game :)

Just don't expect those spells you have submitted will be approved for awhile.

If you need spells, you can ask others to share some with you. If you look around the forum, there are some spells people have posted in the past.

When you are using spells, there is no restriction on how many you can use. Just type your RP in the parser and press verify to check if you can use those spells you are trying to use. Once you are done, press commit. It will give you your RP with spells linked to the website. Copy that and post it in the test run thread.

When you are fighting someone, you can write you used this and that spells, but you cannot say you killed the target with it if the target is an actual player character. Your RP should be open ended most of the time so people can join in.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 14, 2011, 05:25:23 PM »
I believe you start with 100 XP.

At the moment, I believe Tom is some what busy. And other GMs are somewhat less active. So things are going slowly. But that doesn't mean you cannot enjoy the game :)

Just don't expect those spells you have submitted will be approved for awhile.

Generally speaking I'm still here, I just haven't been modding spells too often.  I did 10 or so the other night.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 20, 2011, 11:33:28 PM »
I am here...after years of wishing and wanting... I may actually get get involved with SM!

6 or 7 years ago I ran across SM while researching the colonies online.  Amazing fun stuff in there...that was just before the Lich King came out of hiding in BM for a little bit to save OuterTilog.

Ahhh well... and now here I am!  I am catching up here...so any thoughts on good reading (other then the sm website which I have dealt with already)?

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: October 21, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »
well you might want to read a bit of RPs in the test run thread and learn how to RP your spells.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 22, 2011, 05:03:43 PM »
So talk to me peoplez...

I am ready to get going...but there is no place for me to begin.

Do I just start my RP in the same thread but a different location in the town?  Such as a tavern near the harbor...  Or do we then have too many location RP's in one  thread?

I know its just a practice go, but this is the sort of thing that will hamper creative RP/writing as people will not want to step on someone elses RP...

The only options I see are to start my own in the same place which will become confusing, start a new thread under the same LOCATION...(until such a time as one thread starts to interact with another...GM guidance?) or suddenly be at the same location/time as the current thread.

Let me know the intent and I will jump right in

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: October 22, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
in the real game, you would just start a new thread, new location, etc.

it's just for the test that we limit things to one thread.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 27, 2011, 08:41:56 PM »
DoI have to invent spells based on skills or are there some preset spells to chose from with description and everything?

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 27, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »
DoI have to invent spells based on skills or are there some preset spells to chose from with description and everything?

You can make your own, but you should also be given a handful of random pre-made spells for you, based on the skills of your character. I'm not entirely sure how it works because the first few characters didn't go through that process, but I'm guessing there's a button somewhere that says "give me spells now, please"?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 27, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
There are three types of magic: Spells, Rituals, and Spontaneous.

Everything officially called a "Spell" is fully predefined. If you want to use a spell, you need to log into the SM3 website and use the spell parser to cast your spell. You paste the output into your forum post.

If you don't have a spell, and you want to caste magic anyway, you use Spontaneous Magic. Again, use the parser, but tell it you're using spontaneous instead of a spell.

You can trade spell using spell hashes. Other players give you spell hashes for spell they know. Once you enter that hash on the web site, you know that spell, and can use it. (Assuming you have the correct skill levels.)  For some spell hashes, see the "Spell Freebies - Aka Basic Grimorie" thread: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,1477.0.html

I recommend you read the magic section of the web site: http://lemuria.org/SM3/welcome/magic
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.