Author Topic: Government System Query  (Read 2912 times)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Government System Query
« Topic Start: November 03, 2011, 05:51:55 PM »
So, I was just looking through the options for changing government system on my ruler character. There is a new option I don't remember under the 'Term' drop-downs for Council positions. Along with being able to appoint and elect them once/monthly/quarterly there is an option to 'select' council members. Is that just a weird mistake (i.e. you're telling me to select one of the below options - though select doesn't come up for the ruler council member or any other drop-down on the page) or is there actually a mechanic whereby a ruler, I would guess, is able to pick and choose council members on a whim in much the same way Army Sponsors can with their Marshals? If the latter's true, I would like to know when that came about and why all rulers aren't alerted instantly to its existence ;-)

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Government System Query
« Reply #1: November 03, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »
So, I was just looking through the options for changing government system on my ruler character. There is a new option I don't remember under the 'Term' drop-downs for Council positions. Along with being able to appoint and elect them once/monthly/quarterly there is an option to 'select' council members. Is that just a weird mistake (i.e. you're telling me to select one of the below options - though select doesn't come up for the ruler council member or any other drop-down on the page) or is there actually a mechanic whereby a ruler, I would guess, is able to pick and choose council members on a whim in much the same way Army Sponsors can with their Marshals? If the latter's true, I would like to know when that came about and why all rulers aren't alerted instantly to its existence ;-)

Doesnt appoint do that? o.0
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 03, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »
Well, you can only appoint once and once someone's appointed you and your successors are essentially stuck with them forever unless they feel like moving on. I would assume the co-existence of select alongside appoint as an option means a ruler could have it so he could switch his council members on a whim.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 03, 2011, 08:38:44 PM »
That's odd... I have no idea what the difference would be between "select" and "appoint". I don't remember seeing that before. I think that "select" is a bug. It's probably not supposed to show up. I tried it on the dev server. You can select it, and it remembers the selection. But on the Realm Government page, the "selection method" is blank. It appears to function the same as "appoint".

But no, there is no selection method that would let you appoint and dismiss council level positions at will.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 03, 2011, 11:58:03 PM »
Ahh, that's a shame but glad to have cleared all that up. I reckoned it might be mistake/bug but given how select doesn't appear in any other drop-down boxes on the page I had to double check. If the select option is erroneous and simply clones the appoint mechanic, it would be nice to have it removed so there's no confusion.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 04, 2011, 02:29:39 AM »
I had assumed "select" lets you choose a new councillor whenever you want (like Revan said with the marshal sponser) and "appoint" doesn't let you remove someone once you've "appointed" them. I thought it was cool for a dictator or something.

Oh well.  ;D
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 04, 2011, 03:00:09 AM »
I had assumed "select" lets you choose a new councillor whenever you want (like Revan said with the marshal sponser) and "appoint" doesn't let you remove someone once you've "appointed" them. I thought it was cool for a dictator or something.

Oh well.  ;D

As a Dictator or Tyrant or w/e shouldnt i be able select/appoint/choose people at will?
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 04, 2011, 12:04:34 PM »

I'm 99.5% sure that "select" just means "select one of these options".

As a Dictator or Tyrant or w/e shouldnt i be able select/appoint/choose people at will?

No.  Every Ruler in BattleMaster still has to follow certain rules, and having to deal with the other Councillors once they're appointed or elected is one of those rules.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan