Author Topic: Problem assigning Lords under New Estates  (Read 8307 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Problem assigning Lords under New Estates
« Reply #15: October 15, 2011, 12:59:08 AM »
Why?

So that he may then appoint himself to the duchy.

Otherwise, the ruler has theoretically no chance of becoming a lord unless a duke steps down. A rather rare event.

Though I wonder how this applies to realm with elections.

Also makes me wonder about dukes who lose their region due to capture: are they still dukes?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 15, 2011, 04:53:09 AM »
So that he may then appoint himself to the duchy.

Otherwise, the ruler has theoretically no chance of becoming a lord unless a duke steps down. A rather rare event.

Though I wonder how this applies to realm with elections.

Also makes me wonder about dukes who lose their region due to capture: are they still dukes?

I'd rather limit the ruler's power. Better to encourage him to empower himself by giving others (allies) power positions than by hoarding them.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 15, 2011, 07:19:15 AM »
I'd rather limit the ruler's power. Better to encourage him to empower himself by giving others (allies) power positions than by hoarding them.

Most realms already do that. In the realms that don't have such rules, it would be highly frowned upon for a ruler to do so. Rare are the places you can pull it off, imo.

At least for the traditional dukes. If the ruler creates a duchy out of a poor townslands and makes himself duke of a one-region duchy, is it really that bad? I wouldn't think so, but I think that's something we can let the characters of the realm decide.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #18: October 20, 2011, 07:06:43 PM »
Wait... government members can't become region lords?

This is a bit ridiculous, in my opinion. I can't be both General and a lord?

So not only are Generals stuck with the thankless task of ordering around their feckless countrymen and taking the blame when they screw up -- I'm not saying this is the case in my realm, just hypothetically speaking -- but Generals are also unable to at least finance themselves with a region lordship, and have to continually go begging for money?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 20, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »
This is a bit ridiculous, in my opinion. I can't be both General and a lord?

So not only are Generals stuck with the thankless task of ordering around their feckless countrymen and taking the blame when they screw up -- I'm not saying this is the case in my realm, just hypothetically speaking -- but Generals are also unable to at least finance themselves with a region lordship, and have to continually go begging for money?

The end results of this is that people will step down from their position only to be reappointed after they get their lordships. This is against the spirit of the game, but faced with these kind of rules, it will happen.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 20, 2011, 09:25:25 PM »
The end results of this is that people will step down from their position only to be reappointed after they get their lordships. This is against the spirit of the game, but faced with these kind of rules, it will happen.

Lords cannot be appointed. I am not sure what is the spirit of this change, but I fail to see good reasons to maintain it, unless it comes with something else we have yet to see.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #21: October 20, 2011, 09:54:44 PM »
Lords cannot be appointed. I am not sure what is the spirit of this change, but I fail to see good reasons to maintain it, unless it comes with something else we have yet to see.

Apparently the "it's an unfinished system" part got forgotten.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 20, 2011, 10:07:38 PM »
Apparently the "it's an unfinished system" part got forgotten.

Ah, sorry, thought it was intended.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 29, 2011, 03:10:17 AM »
Notably, Terran just conquered Vassar... and it still isn't appearing on our Realm and Regions page, or Realm Hierarchy. Nor did it appear in the Realm Tax Report, despite having a lord.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #24: October 30, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »
after the cleanup run today (which should be over by the time I post this) - is this still buggy?

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 31, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
after the cleanup run today (which should be over by the time I post this) - is this still buggy?

Still buggy.

Lavendrow and Vassar still aren't showing up on Terran's realm and regions.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: November 03, 2011, 08:06:30 PM »
Qubel Lighthouse has just been conquered by D'Hara. It seems to show up properly now (realm and regions, realm hierarchy), though a new Duchy was automatically created by her capture (I didn't do it via the Govern the Duchies page)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: November 03, 2011, 08:47:18 PM »
When Astrum took Golden Farrow, the duchy was automatically created as well. I'm pretty sure that's a bug.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #28: November 04, 2011, 12:11:29 AM »
That's absolutely a bug. No new duchies should be created.