Author Topic: How many Canadians do we have?  (Read 36496 times)

Lopeyschools

• Knight
  • Meow Meow Secret Mission Meow
    • View Profile
Re: How many Canadians do we have?
« Reply #30: October 20, 2011, 07:12:04 AM »
I'm about two hours away from the closest US towns, I can therefore cut my plane tickets by half by driving to the states, taking a small airplane to Albany, and then heading for Europe from there than by having someone drop me off at whichever close international airports and leaving from here.

I really hate these quota systems. I'm all for supporting our agriculture, but I deem quotas to be a really bad way to do it.

What are you talking about? Getting screwed on price is a good ol'canadian tradition! ;D
Kula (Ibladesh), Lucius (Caligan Empire), Graviel (Caerwyn)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: October 20, 2011, 07:20:29 AM »
What are you talking about? Getting screwed on price is a good ol'canadian tradition! ;D

I wish this would be a good argument for sovereignty, but unfortunately, that would be far from the case.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lopeyschools

• Knight
  • Meow Meow Secret Mission Meow
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: October 21, 2011, 01:51:10 AM »
I wish this would be a good argument for sovereignty, but unfortunately, that would be far from the case.

At least alcohol is cheap in Quebec. Come to BC and be robbed at the till.
Kula (Ibladesh), Lucius (Caligan Empire), Graviel (Caerwyn)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: October 21, 2011, 02:23:24 AM »

Our beer is cheaper, but our liquors and wines are more expensive than in Ontario, I believe.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: October 21, 2011, 02:49:09 AM »

Hehe, I'm 30 minutes from Oliver, the self-proclaimed "wine capital of Canada".

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: October 21, 2011, 02:58:22 AM »

Hehe, I'm 30 minutes from Oliver, the self-proclaimed "wine capital of Canada".

Never heard of it. :P

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: October 21, 2011, 10:22:49 AM »
Our beer is cheaper, but our liquors and wines are more expensive than in Ontario, I believe.

I went to a LCBO once that people told me I would like because they had European wines. They had. A full half-shelf of it. They were all labeled "European".

And they had red wine in the fridge. And beer in 2L PET bottles with screw caps.

I still shudder just thinking about it.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: October 21, 2011, 09:51:54 PM »
I went to a LCBO once that people told me I would like because they had European wines. They had. A full half-shelf of it. They were all labeled "European".

And they had red wine in the fridge. And beer in 2L PET bottles with screw caps.

I still shudder just thinking about it.

It's been a very long time since I went to an LCBO, but I find this rather surprising. Was it a tiny one?

Never seen such a thing in a SAQ though.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: October 22, 2011, 11:17:21 AM »
It's been a very long time since I went to an LCBO, but I find this rather surprising. Was it a tiny one?

It was the downtown one in Kingston. Not huge, but not tiny either.

Never seen such a thing in a SAQ though.

Of course not, they know what they're doing.  :D
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: October 22, 2011, 08:25:09 PM »
It was the downtown one in Kingston. Not huge, but not tiny either.

Of course not, they know what they're doing.  :D

That's pretty funny. "Europe" wine. XD

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: October 25, 2011, 05:56:28 AM »
Yay I'm Canadian! I'm from Southern-Ontario (the finest part of the whole country). Within thirty kilometers (that's roughly nineteen miles to you yankees) of the Big Smoke, aka the Hammer, aka Steel City (Hamilton) to be precise.

I've never been out west but around here people make it out to be the Last Best West again, even though I know people who've gone there to make it big but returned disappointed. Quebec is a nice place. I don't get to go there too often. I've never been out East but I would like to. Anyone from the Atlantic provinces?

None of my characters have a Canadian feel. I wouldn't even know how to do that....themes of Canadian literature include surviving in hostile wildernesses, maybe Dwilight characters could reflect that, eh?
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Zakilevo

« Reply #41: October 25, 2011, 06:37:39 AM »
Quebec was a nice place to visit. It really felt different from the rest of Canada. My family visited Victoria with a car from Manitoba and there was literally nothing interesting on the way. But Toronto - Montreal - Quebec had nice views.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: October 25, 2011, 06:53:36 AM »
Quebec was a nice place to visit. It really felt different from the rest of Canada. My family visited Victoria with a car from Manitoba and there was literally nothing interesting on the way. But Toronto - Montreal - Quebec had nice views.

We don't use the expression "RoC" (Rest of Canada) all the time for nothing! ;)

I'm not sure which road you took, but the best views, imo, are off the highways (100km/h) roads and on the provincial (50-90km/h) roads. Granted, it depends on which one and how much of a detour you are willing to take, though. The "Chemin du Roy" between Montreal and Québec is nice, but long as hell. The southern road to bypass Montreal (QC 132) and the one along the Ottawa river (QC 148 and QC 344) are among my favorite so far. I haven't been east of Québec in a very long time, though, so I can't comment much on these corners, though I know it's beautiful. As for the 344 westwards from Oka, it'll be ugly when you enter the indian reserve and all there is are cigarette stands, but once you pass that the landscape is stunningly beautiful. Then, when you get on the 148, you can see the gorgeous Ottawa river almost all of the times, along with the farmlands and quaint towns. On the 132, it's a similar landscape, except the towns are much bigger (though still small), and the views of the Saint-Lawrence are somewhat rarer.

Zakilevo

« Reply #43: October 25, 2011, 07:07:02 AM »
I never realized how big St.Lawrence river was. I was shocked really. Seeing it through images and seeing it with your eyes are quite different. Hope I can see more things the next time I visit.

P.S - I loved how Quebec people had so many artists performing tricks. Never seen that before. I only see beggars here.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: October 25, 2011, 09:58:37 AM »
I never realized how big St.Lawrence river was. I was shocked really. Seeing it through images and seeing it with your eyes are quite different. Hope I can see more things the next time I visit.

P.S - I loved how Quebec people had so many artists performing tricks. Never seen that before. I only see beggars here.

St. Lawrence streched from the Great Lakes to the Atlantic! The Ottawa river is a pretty big branch of it too, serving as the border between Québec and Ontario.