Author Topic: Concepts  (Read 24592 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Concepts
« Reply #30: November 09, 2011, 08:58:40 PM »
I am of the opinion, as well as the hope, that the same spell could be performed in a multitude of different ways.  For example, to create a candle light effect, one may cast a low level spell with a fire base and perception intent. Or perhaps a create intent with a fire base. In the same way, a bolt of fire could be just as damaging as a shard of ice. This would allow you to be essentially equally effective as your peers in the same situations, but at the same time, each spellcaster has different skillsets. Of course, once higher level spells are created, specializations would be formed, each with its own...flavor.

Yes, there are often various approaches, though the focus shifts. For spells, that is not as important, as they are very specific. But for spontaneous magic, you want to use the proper Intent at least - a "Perceive/Fire" spell will always give you some illumination to see by, because that is what you specified. A "Create/Fire" spell may, with a few shifts, create just a smoldering, for example, which is a fire created, but won't give you much light.

Basically, really do use Intent as "what is it you intend to do", and not just as a method.

Halden

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: November 09, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »
Would it be appropriate then to have a few bases, but many intents to be able to utilize these bases differently?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: November 09, 2011, 09:46:47 PM »
From the web site:

Quote from: Intents
Change
Control
Create
Harm
Heal
Move
Perceive
Protect   
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Halden

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: November 09, 2011, 10:47:35 PM »
Well that doesn't exactly answer the question.

Zakilevo

« Reply #34: November 09, 2011, 11:06:58 PM »
It is entirely up to you. But from my experience, I would recommend you to get some levels in move and protect.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: November 10, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Well that doesn't exactly answer the question.
Sorry, I misunderstood the question. Given the purpose of this thread, I thought you were talking about the design of the magic system, and not looking for advice on what to buy for your character. :P

Halden

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: November 10, 2011, 02:23:26 PM »
Many thanks.  :)

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: January 12, 2012, 05:52:50 PM »
Hmm...  I am still not sure I have wrapped my head around the ritual spell time frame.  Perhaps because we only have the practice RP going...but if I have magic that takes a month to prepare, do I need to RP the beginning of that ritual a month in advance?

a ritual (Control/Mind - 5-5-5)

This for example would take 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, 20 Hours.  As it is a ritual, a character should have already thought up the goal I intend well in advance.  Yet we as players have the ability right now to just assume it was planned.

Now of course we are all playing to have fun and anyone who just wants to "win" should hit the door... but where are we going to draw the line on RP preparation?

Zakilevo

« Reply #38: January 12, 2012, 06:16:22 PM »
Well you can reduce the preparation time by using sacrifices and other magical materials. You can RP it like how your character is trying to kidnap some people from a near by village. But you probably want to leave some room for others to stop you from doing so if they desire.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: January 12, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »
The time given for the ritual is not "preparation time". It is how long it actually takes to *perform* the ritual.

Zakilevo

« Reply #40: January 12, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »
In real time as well. My character finished a ritual which took him two weeks. I literally did not write anything for two weeks. Someone could have interfered with me but no one did.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: January 12, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
Terribly boring to spend two weeks doing nothing.  I suppose that dialog RP could be taking place during the same time...but without a time stamp (be in two locations doing RP in REAL time, while it being two different times IN the RP...) it becomes difficult unless the ritual allows breaks.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: January 13, 2012, 03:26:16 AM »
You should be actively doing the ritual for that time.  Ocassionally writing about what is going on so that someone who wants to join won't just be writing from nothing.  It's also not "I go off and train for four months in sword practice." and then four months later you write "I am now a masterful swordsmen."

Same concept.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #43: January 13, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »
a 5-5-5 ritual is quite powerful. Maybe you should be doing something at a lower power level? Doing it at 4-4-4 would shave off 3 weeks.

Zakilevo

« Reply #44: January 13, 2012, 07:41:59 PM »
Or level up your skills before you do it. Or you can modify the numbers like Tom suggested. Mine was 5-1-10 and took me 2 weeks to complete it.  ;)