Author Topic: Nobles in taverns  (Read 4789 times)

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Nobles in taverns
« Topic Start: October 21, 2011, 08:09:34 PM »
If I see another RP involving a noble drinking and carousing in a tavern, I am going to insist that they also marry a peasant girl.

That's all I've got.
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Nobles in taverns
« Reply #1: October 21, 2011, 10:48:14 PM »
Go ahead :) Feuds are good! And what better way to rile some people up then questioning someone's Nobility? Might even you get some supporters, which is where the fun really starts!

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 23, 2011, 12:07:36 PM »
I used to do these types of roleplays around my first few years in BM.

If Shin knew his daddy had been in bars with peasants.... he'd probably drop dead on the spot....
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 24, 2011, 07:50:50 PM »
Well, just because you're drinking in a tavern, doesn't mean that you're mixing with the common riff-raff . . . I'd imagine that in well populated areas, there are taverns just for the nobles and rich commoners (who are of course not as good as us, but okay to mix with, so long as you don't get chummy).

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 25, 2011, 04:45:18 AM »
Well, just because you're drinking in a tavern, doesn't mean that you're mixing with the common riff-raff . . . I'd imagine that in well populated areas, there are taverns just for the nobles and rich commoners (who are of course not as good as us, but okay to mix with, so long as you don't get chummy).

In that case we wouldn't use the word "tavern."
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 25, 2011, 04:54:25 AM »
Considering how a decent amount of nobles like to steal off and sneakily assassinate other nobles, and many people laud that as an honorable service to the realm, I generally let this kind of stuff slide.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 27, 2011, 06:38:21 AM »
In that case we wouldn't use the word "tavern."

Er . . . what word would you use, then?  Just because it's upper-class doesn't mean it's not a tavern, as far as I'm aware (though I suppose I could be lacking info).

Considering how a decent amount of nobles like to steal off and sneakily assassinate other nobles, and many people laud that as an honorable service to the realm, I generally let this kind of stuff slide.
Eh, just because we've conceded to poor standards on some things doesn't mean we should on others.  But I suppose it might be reasonable for some of the infils to hang out in low class taverns . . . commoners may be stinky, but they might have good information sometimes.  And that's where the criminals who will sell you poison hang out.  And people already think you're dishonorable.  And so forth.  Actually, I recall reading somewhere that medieval nobles who worked as spymasters were often viewed as less honorable not because they spied, but because they hung out with commoners.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:45:51 AM by BardicNerd »

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 27, 2011, 01:15:06 PM »
Er . . . what word would you use, then?  Just because it's upper-class doesn't mean it's not a tavern, as far as I'm aware (though I suppose I could be lacking info).
Eh, just because we've conceded to poor standards on some things doesn't mean we should on others.  But I suppose it might be reasonable for some of the infils to hang out in low class taverns . . . commoners may be stinky, but they might have good information sometimes.  And that's where the criminals who will sell you poison hang out.  And people already think you're dishonorable.  And so forth.  Actually, I recall reading somewhere that medieval nobles who worked as spymasters were often viewed as less honorable not because they spied, but because they hung out with commoners.

We could call them Coachhouses (like in M2TW :) )

And I'd rather think the noble infil sends a servant to those places.

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 27, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »
I think Coach-houses didn't make an appearance until the 15th century, and so for myself would suggest using Inn for a establishment frequented by nobles of the more refined type, (or at least whom like portray themselves as such  ;D ) and tavern for those used by those willing mix with mere commoners and other shady sorts, being as while you could not only get drink and food at an Inn but also lodgings, and as such often used by nobles traveling betwixt this place and that, most medieval taverns were in all respects nothing more then one step up from an ale house. 

PS Ye Oldie trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham is a perfect example, ie an Inn reputedly frequented by nobles en-route to the holy land during the crusades.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 27, 2011, 08:22:39 PM »
Call it a Court or a Dining hall. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron