Author Topic: Loyalty and Sympathy  (Read 5161 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Loyalty and Sympathy
« Topic Start: October 22, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »
Re: Feature Cut: Region Loyalty

I always figured sympathy and loyalty were different stats. A region has sympathy to different realms that can be seen by diplomats, affects loyalty and takeovers, and is affected by looting and warfare and diplomats and courts. Loyalty, on the other hand, is affected by both sympathy and estate coverage and courts, and influences control.

Reading the thread "Feature Cut: Region Loyalty" makes me think they may be more closely related than I thought, or maybe even the same.

Was I wrong?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

egamma

Re: Loyalty and Sympathy
« Reply #1: October 22, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »
It's the same value, and from what we can tell, it's the only region value that exists for every realm on the continent. If a new player or infil does an undercover report this is pretty obvious.

Region Kepler, of Keplerstan:

Loyalty to Keplerstan: 80%
Sympathy to Evilstani: 90%
Sympathy to Loservill: 10%

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 22, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »
Loyalty to Keplerstan: 80%
Sympathy to Loservill: 10%

So if the region change allegiance to Loserville, this will be modified to:

Sympathy to Keplerstan: 80%
Loyalty to Loservill: 10%

With no other changes? I somehow figured loyalty changed more slowly than that.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 22, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »
Technically, Loyalty didn't change at all. They still have a 80% loyalty (now called sympathy) to Keplerstan. Instead, the region now shows Loservill's Loyalty of 10% (previously shown as 10% sympathy) as the Realm now reigns over it.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 22, 2011, 04:59:36 PM »
Technically, Loyalty didn't change at all.

Yeah, that's what I mean. If there is a single stat, you just have a different name depending on who owns the region. I thought there were two independant stats.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 22, 2011, 10:06:31 PM »
Yeah, that's what I mean. If there is a single stat, you just have a different name depending on who owns the region. I thought there were two independant stats.

Same stat, different name according to ownership.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #6: October 23, 2011, 06:32:12 AM »
It's a vocabulary issue--you can't be "loyal" to a realm you're not a part of.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 23, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »
It's a vocabulary issue--you can't be "loyal" to a realm you're not a part of.

Precisely.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #8: October 24, 2011, 02:36:39 PM »
If a region is occupied/annexed by foreign troops, they would still be considered loyal to their original realm, not sympathetic.  For example, if Linlithgow was annexed by the English during one of the many, many wars between England and Scotland, with knights and men-at-arms patrolling the streets and manning the walls, the populace could still very well be loyal to the Kingdom of Scotland.  I doubt anyone would call it "sympathy". 

That's simply because the region, as we'd term it in BattleMaster, would be Scottish but ruled by England.

Now, if a village/town on the English side of the "traditional" border was more pro-Scottish, but its people and culture English, then that'd be "sympathy" rather than "loyalty".

All in all, a matter of semantics.  I do like that the game does keep track of that sort of thing to some degree though.  Just wish it was a little more presistant and took "cultures" into account.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 24, 2011, 02:43:47 PM »
If a region is occupied/annexed by foreign troops, they would still be considered loyal to their original realm, not sympathetic.

But given all the different permutations of how regions can be taken and retaken, there's no way the game can accurately model this.  Thus, Loyalty is to your own realm, and Sympathy is to all other realms.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 24, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »
A Paradox's Victoria-style culture code would be simply great, but it would take a /lot/ of coding, and probably maintenance too. But one can dream, right?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: October 24, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »
My region receives the "The people here do not like being ruled by us." report. However it has a medium-high loyalty (73%, friendly). Moreover when I talk to the locals as an ambassador, I get "The locals are deeply devoted to Morek Empire, and are bursting with pride to call it their home." (or at least I did only two weeks ago).

How can that be? This cannot be explained by a single stat.

egamma

« Reply #12: October 24, 2011, 07:54:50 PM »
My region receives the "The people here do not like being ruled by us." report. However it has a medium-high loyalty (73%, friendly). Moreover when I talk to the locals as an ambassador, I get "The locals are deeply devoted to Morek Empire, and are bursting with pride to call it their home." (or at least I did only two weeks ago).

Get an undercover report. There is probably a different region that they like better.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 24, 2011, 08:44:05 PM »

This is correct. Specifically, the "do not like being ruled" is related to more than one stat.

(And no, Sympathy to 2 different realms do not count as 2 different stats.)
Timothy Collett

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 25, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
This is correct. Specifically, the "do not like being ruled" is related to more than one stat.

(And no, Sympathy to 2 different realms do not count as 2 different stats.)

Thanks, I'll keep searching!