Author Topic: magic numbers  (Read 3223 times)

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
magic numbers
« Topic Start: October 22, 2011, 11:50:25 PM »
Ok I understand the need for halting RP at a moment like that...and it was poorly written, should have implied my desire/preperation to do that action rather then saying it was done.

However I need a bit of help understanding the math so that I fully understand.

Control was the intent... my skill level 4
Mind was the base, again my skill level 4

intent/base/time for this was 2/2/5

Based on every 5 points = 1 shift, 7 shifts indicates that the spell was (7x5) 35 levels higher then I should have been able to cast.  So what caused the level to be so high?

So I tried the same thing again with this below to see how many shifts it came up with.
2-2-1 = 0 shifts
2-2-2 = 2 shifts (2 shifts indicates that it was 10 levels higher then my ability?)

So what is the math for this?  Is there a number that I am missing at the start such as a base level for any spell?
-------------

repost out of the RP so i can get more talky talky about it.

I know i dont need the numbers for the sake of the game... but I would like to know the math so I know its right

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: magic numbers
« Reply #1: October 24, 2011, 02:51:55 PM »
If I'm reading it correctly, the shifts work like this:

• Calculate total power of the spontaneous magic: 2 * 2 * 5 = 20
  • Compare power level to your skills: Power = 20, your skills = 8, you fall short, so you have to calculate the shifts.
  • Compute the amount of power you are short by independently subtracting the base and intent skill level from the power required, then adding them together.
    • Power - Intent: 20 - 4 = 16
    • Power - Base = 20 - 4 = 16
    • 16 + 16 = 32
  • Divide the total by 5:  32 / 5 = 6.4. Apparently it rounds up. So you get 7 shifts. Ouch.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: magic numbers
« Reply #2: October 25, 2011, 03:03:07 AM »
Thank you very much.  YIKES that is dangerous.   7 shifts...just to get a mans name out among the ladys... *sigh*

It seems shifts are even more dangerous then I would have thought.