Author Topic: Clear explanation of the difference between nobles and commoners.  (Read 32350 times)

Corwyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
That's NOT what the issue was about.  It might just be that the original poster is using this as a straw-man argument to further his point about the real argument (though I can't say for sure of course).

As far as I read only ONE guy was claiming for equality.  And everyone immediately dissented with him.  But that is not what the big discussion was about.

Here's what actually happened:
1. The judge of Sirion asked us to give him the names of anyone that was tortured and/or killed by Lady Gabriella (an infamous elf-hater who is said to collect elf ears).
2. People started providing him with names, mostly of their relatives.  Some of those relatives were... commoners!
3. People got upset that commoners had been mentioned, and that people were admitting to be related to commoners.

Here's what was explained to the OP:
  • Nobles *did* marry wealthy merchants (commoners).  So it's quite possible that even your loved one might be a commoner.  Naturally, you might be upset if someone tortured and killed them.
  • Noble families start from somewhere, and BM has lots of new noble families.  Some people play those new noble families as just being minor families now being more prominent, but others RP it as the founding of a new noble line, usually for notable actions.  That nobility did not extend backwards (as far as I know) to your mom/pop, grand-dad/grand-mum, great-grand-dad, etc.  So it's quite conceivable your mum might be a commoner (also see above about wealthy merchants).
  • Adventurers become nobles all the time.
  • Nobility was recognized by blood and by deeds.  They key thing is that you either have inherent or demonstrated Superiority, which explains why you are fit to lead commoners.
  • BM treats commoners as serfs (despite calling them freemen), so they are in fact owned by a Lord.  If someone destroyed your house or killed your beloved dog, you'd be rightfully upset and demand recompense.  In fact, historically if a Lord killed a serf, they had to pay the serf's owner for the damages.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:26:49 PM by Corwyn »
Ni'Tessine Family: Corwyn (Sirion), Terril (Arcachon), Torin (adventurer)