Author Topic: Hearts of Iron 3  (Read 3287 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Hearts of Iron 3
« Topic Start: June 03, 2011, 08:58:52 AM »
I've been on a huge Hearts of Iron 3 kick so far this summer since I've been home.

Anyone else play this game or its past iterations?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron 3
« Reply #1: June 03, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
Played quite a lot of HoI2. I heard that 3 was a bit of a disappointment by comparison.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 03, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »
Never played HoI2 or the original. I love HoI3 though, so can't say if it's an improvement or not.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 06, 2011, 09:21:45 AM »
I have played a lot of both. I think HOI3 it is a bit of a disappointment, mainly for two reasons. Everything else I love about it. The first is, because there are so many more troops now(which I like) you have to rely on the AI to command most or all of your troops, and I get frustrated for a lot for dumb stuff the AI does. The second is the game starts running so slow once wars start breaking out, making the game near unplayable.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 06, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »
There a ton of units. Though, I've primarily restricted myself to playing mostly minors and regional powers thus far. Though am enjoying a go with Italy, lately. I can understand how you may not enjoy it if you have to put your units on AI control because the AI is pretty dumb. But then again, if you don't enjoy managing the troops, I'm not sure what you would enjoy in the game, the rest is pretty simply and I would think boring if you aren't commanding troops.

As for the performance issues, I haven't experienced them too bad.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 06, 2011, 11:04:36 AM »
I play HoI2, recently. I have played HoI3 in the past and it is a disappointment. Having to use AI all too often takes away your tactical and strategical part of the game and makes it just another strategy game in which you recruit units and move them around. In HoI1 (a brilliant game, too) and HoI2 you really have to micro your attacks to be successful.

Which reminds me; if anyone is up for some multiplaying... I hang around on irc or might find my way back to this post.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Paradox Interactive Games
« Reply #6: November 14, 2011, 01:36:20 AM »
Recently got Victoria 2. I played it for a thirty minutes and its making me feel like a idiot. Still, I'm having fun as the Philippines. My industrial power is 10th in the world(above my home country of Spain!) but my military sucks. Hopefully I'll be able to learn this game through and through to truly form an Oceanic empire made up of Filipinos.