Poll

Self-explanatory... What is your favorite of the BM continents?

Atamara
Beluaterra
Colonies
Dwilight
East Continent
Far East

Author Topic: Favorite Island  (Read 50137 times)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Island
« Reply #60: April 02, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »
I do not understand why so many people prefer Dwilight. I've been to three realms on Dwilight now: PeL, Madina and Corsanctum (where I currently have a character). I mean no offense to the people that feel closely related with those realm or even run it as we speak (PeL being a bit different now), but all of those three realms sucked big time. Yes, I wish to say it like that.

First off, I joined PeL, only to be disappointed by how the realm was run. However, I must admit that I had the intention to go colonize and that I didn't find cooperation, which might make myself the problem as to why I disliked that realm.

Secondly, I joined Madina. I knew some decent players from other realms there and figured that it wouldn't let me down. But dear god, my character nearly died of boredom. The regions were in terrible shape, the council was completely inactive and ergo everybody was inactive. It was a very sad and disturbing pit of boredom that only predicted the destruction of the own realm, unless someone with some power would make a move and revive matters. I "rage quit" on that realm, leaving them with an OOC message from me saying how utterly boring their realm was, and how I would spread the word to everybody that no one should ever try to join that realm again. Today I'm still happy I did that, and I still do believe that nobody should join Madina.

Thirdly, I joined Corsanctum. Again, I knew some decent players from elsewhere and they reassured me Corsanctum was a fun place to be. It being the "holy realm" of SA or some of the like (I still don't quiet get it), I figured there should be loads of RP and action. Dear god I was mistaken and fooled once more. Corsanctum is as much a boring place as Madina was. They can't win against monsters and EVERYBODY IS INACTIVE. Just now I tried to create some havoc by lashing out ingame against the "apathy" of the council, but I fear that too many nobles have already gone to the dark side of the "let's not read the letters in this realm". Corsanctum disappointed me hard, and it completely destroyed whatever respect I had left for Dwilight.

So now I just ask you to direct me to a realm on Dwilight that has a grain of activity and has some fun wars/battles going on. Don't attempt to point me deeper into SA-land because I foresee more boredom in those realms soon, unless they start fighting eachother. In any case, to summarize, I can say that out of all continents that I have played, I am starting to hate Dwilight big time. For me it's just filled with inactive council members that are absorbing all positions as long as they can, only to do nothing. I do realize people have a life beyond battlemaster, and that such a life is more important. Still, with being a council member or just a regular with a powerposition, like a marshal, it is your duty to supply others with fun and activity. If you want to lay back and do nothing, the least you can do is step down and letter others make an attempt at reviving a dead realm.

Please do redirect me to a more fun realm on Dwilight, or try to convince me why Dwilight is elected here as the most fun continent. Because for all I care, Dwilight can sink into the ocean for me right now.

And oh yeah, I think EC is the continent on which I had and still have the most fun. But I think that looking at my family page might easily explain why that is so.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: April 02, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »
Luria Nova should prove to be quite interesting. It's new, meaning better chances for new characters to get themselves involved. For now we are just setting up shop, so to speak, but in the future we have plenty of opportunities to have wars, start colonies, have internal squabbling, etc.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: April 02, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »
It seems like people being inactive is quite prevalent in Dwilight, not just in my realm then. Yet I still like it.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #63: April 02, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »
I do not understand why so many people prefer Dwilight. I've been to three realms on Dwilight now: PeL, Madina and Corsanctum (where I currently have a character). I mean no offense to the people that feel closely related with those realm or even run it as we speak (PeL being a bit different now), but all of those three realms sucked big time. Yes, I wish to say it like that.

First off, I joined PeL, only to be disappointed by how the realm was run. However, I must admit that I had the intention to go colonize and that I didn't find cooperation, which might make myself the problem as to why I disliked that realm.

Secondly, I joined Madina. I knew some decent players from other realms there and figured that it wouldn't let me down. But dear god, my character nearly died of boredom. The regions were in terrible shape, the council was completely inactive and ergo everybody was inactive. It was a very sad and disturbing pit of boredom that only predicted the destruction of the own realm, unless someone with some power would make a move and revive matters. I "rage quit" on that realm, leaving them with an OOC message from me saying how utterly boring their realm was, and how I would spread the word to everybody that no one should ever try to join that realm again. Today I'm still happy I did that, and I still do believe that nobody should join Madina.

Thirdly, I joined Corsanctum. Again, I knew some decent players from elsewhere and they reassured me Corsanctum was a fun place to be. It being the "holy realm" of SA or some of the like (I still don't quiet get it), I figured there should be loads of RP and action. Dear god I was mistaken and fooled once more. Corsanctum is as much a boring place as Madina was. They can't win against monsters and EVERYBODY IS INACTIVE. Just now I tried to create some havoc by lashing out ingame against the "apathy" of the council, but I fear that too many nobles have already gone to the dark side of the "let's not read the letters in this realm". Corsanctum disappointed me hard, and it completely destroyed whatever respect I had left for Dwilight.

So now I just ask you to direct me to a realm on Dwilight that has a grain of activity and has some fun wars/battles going on. Don't attempt to point me deeper into SA-land because I foresee more boredom in those realms soon, unless they start fighting eachother. In any case, to summarize, I can say that out of all continents that I have played, I am starting to hate Dwilight big time. For me it's just filled with inactive council members that are absorbing all positions as long as they can, only to do nothing. I do realize people have a life beyond battlemaster, and that such a life is more important. Still, with being a council member or just a regular with a powerposition, like a marshal, it is your duty to supply others with fun and activity. If you want to lay back and do nothing, the least you can do is step down and letter others make an attempt at reviving a dead realm.

Please do redirect me to a more fun realm on Dwilight, or try to convince me why Dwilight is elected here as the most fun continent. Because for all I care, Dwilight can sink into the ocean for me right now.

And oh yeah, I think EC is the continent on which I had and still have the most fun. But I think that looking at my family page might easily explain why that is so.

You happened to join the three realms that are least likely to get any action whatsoever. Corsanctum is surrounded by allies and much to busy keeping the monsters at bay to do much of anything else, Pian en Luries and Madina are nowhere close to any realm that they are likely to go to war with, barring the Grand Duchy of Fissoa and Terran respectively. And even those wars weren't much action. Now though, the whole continent is in turmoil. Pian en Luries and Madina had secessions recently, while all of Sanguis Astroism is fighting Averoth and Caerwyn. Madina is fighting its secession, while Pian en Luries allied with their's. Interesting times.

Also, Morek and Astrum are very active realms, with Morek having being in three major wars in last year, including the latest one.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: April 02, 2011, 10:16:57 PM »
You happened to join the three realms that are least likely to get any action whatsoever. Corsanctum is surrounded by allies and much to busy keeping the monsters at bay to do much of anything else, Pian en Luries and Madina are nowhere close to any realm that they are likely to go to war with, barring the Grand Duchy of Fissoa and Terran respectively. And even those wars weren't much action. Now though, the whole continent is in turmoil. Pian en Luries and Madina had secessions recently, while all of Sanguis Astroism is fighting Averoth and Caerwyn. Madina is fighting its secession, while Pian en Luries allied with their's. Interesting times.

Also, Morek and Astrum are very active realms, with Morek having being in three major wars in last year, including the latest one.

Don't join more heavily-religious realms, the power there is very controlled from what I have seen. Caerwyn would love your help as we have just broken our federation with Astrum and dived straight into battle with them! We are a Republic, so freedom of speech is used quite often and as Judge I do listen to what you have to say. If Caerwyn doesn't give you a tad bit of enjoyment, I doubt anywhere on Dwilight will..
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: April 02, 2011, 10:57:32 PM »
If you're looking for EC-style grand strategy, Dwilight will never be fun.

In SA realms, the fun IS Sanguis Astroism.

Terran is pretty active I think. Winter is coming so we'll be hiding behind fortifications for a while, but come spring/summer we'll probably be marching armies south to help Barca, maybe expand northwards into Vassar, maybe have to defend D'Hara from Madinan or Lurian armies... we'll see what exactly happens. Whatever the case, from my perspective, lots is going on in Terran. And unlike the SA realms or Caerwyn, we have pretty significant religious diversity.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: April 02, 2011, 11:11:59 PM »
It's true, Dwilight is a hard place to live. Many characters here are silent or talk in the higher councils as a lot more intestering discussion happen there. For instance if I was I Caerwyn and didn't have access to the realm council, I would have gone on a colony journey by now. Dwilight is a lot about dedication and whatnot.

One thing I really dislike about SA is sooo many discussions just continue to rumble on in the public SA forum even after elders order for people to stop. They just.. don't stop.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: April 02, 2011, 11:42:23 PM »
Just join the Marrocidens. We can't get enough of the action.

Zakilevo

« Reply #68: April 03, 2011, 12:43:19 AM »
Well SA forum is very quite these days. Astrum is fight two realms at the same time so if you want some excitement come to Astrum. :) You will be fighting 45 troop leaders from Averoth in the north and about 15 TLs from Caerwyn in the south. :)

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: April 03, 2011, 01:48:34 AM »
Just join the Marrocidens. We can't get enough of the action.

Is that your perception too?

Sometimes I wonder if it's just my character, but it feels to me like there is always something to do in Maroccidens.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: April 03, 2011, 02:28:06 AM »

PeL is a great realm. I mean, half the fun of being in the realm was plotting to overthrow the horrible way that the realm was being run. Although maybe we look at these situations differently. I do believe htough that PeL and the new Luria Nova have a lot of great nobles in them and is worth trying out. Granted, so much goes on behind the scenes, but it isn't hard to get involved in if you try.

Caerwyn is not bad, although I only joined here after leaving Pian a while back. We're fighting a war right now against SA so that will be a bit interesting.

Truth be told though, if you don't work on getting into the internal politics of your realm I would see how Dwilight may be boring.
-----------------

It's true, Dwilight is a hard place to live. Many characters here are silent or talk in the higher councils as a lot more intestering discussion happen there. For instance if I was I Caerwyn and didn't have access to the realm council, I would have gone on a colony journey by now. Dwilight is a lot about dedication and whatnot.

This is very interesting. Although a bit of a hypocritical point. I am in Caerwyn right now and although it isn't terrible it is a tad bit boring at some times with regards to not knowing what is being made as decisions until after they are made. (At least we are kept informed though). The reason I say hypocritical is because how do you expect your nobles to go on a colony journey when this "realm Council" explicitly forbids it.

I believe there is something about being immediately considered an enemy of the state if you were to do so without full realm council permission.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #71: April 03, 2011, 04:07:30 AM »
I disagree with the opinion that power stays in the hands of the few in Dwilight. In Morek we continually have new players gaining higher positions. I was in the realm for about two months when I became Marshal and then another month or two before I became General of the realm. You just need to take an active part in the in-realm discussions. Even simply asking if I could sit on the military council got me noticed, and allowed me to put in my opinion on big issues.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: April 03, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »
In Morek we continually have new players gaining higher positions.

Same in Terran. I've never been involved in a realm run by so many "newer" players.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: April 03, 2011, 08:30:29 PM »
I don't mind the power in hands of a few - I might even compare that to Ibladesh, though that realm is actually too big to say power is in the hands of a "few". What I do mind is a completely dead realm where the only messages you get are status reports. That's a big no-no. It's amazing that no one has ran over these realms in a week yet. They probably won't even notice that they're at war with someone.

In my opinion, if you are a council member, you need to be able to be at least a little bit active. I know the game says you can play whenever you wish, but when being a character with power, you have some responsibilities, including supplying other players with at least some fun or activity. None of that to be found in both Madina and Corsanctum.

About heavy-religion realms, I can only say that I like them more because it's more medieval. All that nonsense of "free speech" that some realms - in particular republics - have is complete nonsense. Free speech is something of our time, and certainly not medieval.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #74: April 03, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
Actually, there were all kinds of nations during the medieval of period. Not all of them were so strict on what people could say.