Author Topic: New Paraphernalia  (Read 10858 times)

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
New Paraphernalia
« Topic Start: October 31, 2011, 06:31:47 PM »
I must say you will call me a spammer, but, after days thinking, I come to the forum to write all my ideas  ;D.

For me, it is the time to create some Paraphernalia:

1) treasure chart

What it will do?

The treasure chart will be a way to nobles prevent their unique items to crash so fast. With this paraphernalia, the noble will, literally, put his unique item on the chest, and transport it.

Why the develop team should make it?

Since the last change about sages, it become harder and harder to mantain the unique items. Many players started to complain about how their items became difficult to repair, and a lot of them just started to do not repair, thinking it is easier to buy a new one than to repair the older.

I must say, I do believe that the develop team made the changes to make it hard: unique items are only used to rise your honour and prestige, and, after sometime playing, the easy way to do that, but, for me, the blow came harder than enough.

These days, you must have much gold to repair one item, and some luck. The first, to pay the adventurer and the repair of the item. The second, to find a good adventurer, experienced enough to have the ordinary items necessary to make the repair, and good enough to track down a sage before the unique item permanently crashs.

How does this item would work?

Despite its funcionality, the treasure chart should not become a way to keep tue inuque items forever. Instead, it should work to minimize the damage an item takes from travel, AND ONLY FROM TRAVEL.

In theory, the item should reduce the damage an item takes by X% (were X is the level of the chart, equally the gears of the adventurer), but never above 50%. Plus, battles will never reduce the damage, only if you leave the item on the chart (taking no rise on the honour and prestige for and from it).

At last, a character can have only one chart, despite his numberless items.

2) Spies

What it will do?

Spies are the ultimate word and tecnollogy on the world of the infiltration. Despite your ordinary scout can bring you info only about the adjacent regions of the one you are, with some spies on others you can, virtually, know all about the world (well, the continent, your well known world).

Why the develop team should take it?

Well, in a better answer, is can really become the first step for some good changes. The way the scouts are going today you can get very good infos by the possible cost of an ordinary life (assuming he can be taken while scouting). Particularly, I do not like this.

For me, getting info about a land should become more difficult. Today, by clicking on the dynamic map you can see the population, gold, local weather, etc of a region on the other side of the continent - too much globalization for the middle ages. Plus, by scouting the region you can get info like the the armies there, and more.

With the developing of spies, the scouts should work only on the mean of their names: scouting the region taking info about armies. The spies, however, should give you more developed information, as who rule the place, how much gold it can provide, how was the last harvest, etc.

How does this would work?

Buying a spy will bring you the option to deploy them while travelling by a region. Doying it will give you the option to ask your spy about data from that region and historical facts, like the last rogue wich invaded the region, and how much time it takes to appear a new one (based on the data of the courtiers there).

Of course that this could easy become a strong tool for generals, marshals and some hysteric lords, but to do this, you need more than a spy on the given land. To receive news from your spy on a given region, you should deploy enough of them to create a chain of spies, from the place you are to the place you want to know about.

Be sure that the spy, altought he does not steal or burn a place, do infiltration, and a not very well trainned spy will be imprisioned trying to send messages to his master. A weak spy will tell to his captors who send him, and this can, surely, start a war.

3) The Herald

What it will do?

The herald is the first guy, the officialy scout of a caravan of a noble who reach a place, only to inform that his master is arriving. Plus, a herald was the introducer of his master when he will joust.

Simple: because it is funny! :P

The Heraldis something historical, and very, very cool. Having a herald denotes importance, for you and your family. Plus, you can use your herald for the speech of tornauments (just as on the A Knight's Tale Movie something I adore and you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdWO9ozir1Y). What about a herald's contest, as a new tool for tornauments?

This can bring to your noble a good mood, inspiration, etc, etc. On Tornauments and duels, too. Plus, sending a herald to an enemy region, announcing that you and your stronger army will arrive at sunrise is a good way to start a new trick: the war of impressions and ideas. Someone easy to impress and intimidate will surely move his army to defend, while the herald's master can surely move to another place, or move there, while the rest of the army takeover there.

Love strategy.

4) The saboteur

What it will do?

A final suggestion: the saboteur. The man of the shadows. The hand behind revolts.

Because it is an advanced way to do war. Saboteurs acts as the shadow wich incits anarchy and independence between the peasants. As the game has the name "BATTLEMaster", it should have always improves the war lines.

As its name explains. I was thougthing that, with the change on the estates politic, now you just can't set up yours as policy. Because of that, as I can see, more efforts will be needed by courtiers and defensive armies, or, the revolts and lack of control will be taken from the change of turn. Because of this, the creation of a paraphernalia that can be deployed at a region, while you simply travel by it, and raise the anarchy and independence of that place is a good way to  change this.

But things aren't good as you can think: indeed the saboteur foments the independence and anarchy, but, while the people become independent from the previous realm, it should become harder to convert to you, as a collateral effect. So, you can't simply go there and start a friendly takeover: you will need to take that people and remember them that nobles pull the strings of them, no the reverse.

I must say that, as the spy, having a saboteur of yours being captured is enough subject to start a war, and, more than the spy, this can have echoes on the entire continent.

Well, this are my suggestions.

Tnks!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:36:33 PM by Alasteir »

egamma

Re: New Paraphernalia
« Reply #1: October 31, 2011, 07:05:33 PM »

1) treasure chart

What it will do?

The treasure chart will be a way to nobles prevent their unique items to crash so fast. With this paraphernalia, the noble will, literally, put his unique item on the chest, and transport it.

Why the develop team should make it?

Since the last change about sages, it become harder and harder to mantain the unique items. Many players started to complain about how their items became difficult to repair, and a lot of them just started to do not repair, thinking it is easier to buy a new one than to repair the older.

I must say, I do believe that the develop team made the changes to make it hard: unique items are only used to rise your honour and prestige, and, after sometime playing, the easy way to do that, but, for me, the blow came harder than enough.

These days, you must have much gold to repair one item, and some luck. The first, to pay the adventurer and the repair of the item. The second, to find a good adventurer, experienced enough to have the ordinary items necessary to make the repair, and good enough to track down a sage before the unique item permanently crashs.

How does this item would work?

Despite its funcionality, the treasure chart should not become a way to keep tue inuque items forever. Instead, it should work to minimize the damage an item takes from travel, AND ONLY FROM TRAVEL.

In theory, the item should reduce the damage an item takes by X% (were X is the level of the chart, equally the gears of the adventurer), but never above 50%. Plus, battles will never reduce the damage, only if you leave the item on the chart (taking no rise on the honour and prestige for and from it).

At last, a character can have only one chart, despite his numberless items.

I'm going to assume you meant "treasure chest" instead of "treasure chart." I like the idea, but I'm not running an advy right now, so I'll let someone else pass judgement on it.

2) Spies

What it will do?

Spies are the ultimate word and tecnollogy on the world of the infiltration. Despite your ordinary scout can bring you info only about the adjacent regions of the one you are, with some spies on others you can, virtually, know all about the world (well, the continent, your well known world).

Well, in a better answer, is can really become the first step for some good changes. The way the scouts are going today you can get very good infos by the possible cost of an ordinary life (assuming he can be taken while scouting). Particularly, I do not like this.

For me, getting info about a land should become more difficult. Today, by clicking on the dynamic map you can see the population, gold, local weather, etc of a region on the other side of the continent - too much globalization for the middle ages. Plus, by scouting the region you can get info like the the armies there, and more.

With the developing of spies, the scouts should work only on the mean of their names: scouting the region taking info about armies. The spies, however, should give you more developed information, as who rule the place, how much gold it can provide, how was the last harvest, etc.

Buying a spy will bring you the option to deploy them while travelling by a region. Doying it will give you the option to ask your spy about data from that region and historical facts, like the last rogue wich invaded the region, and how much time it takes to appear a new one (based on the data of the courtiers there).

Of course that this could easy become a strong tool for generals, marshals and some hysteric lords, but to do this, you need more than a spy on the given land. To receive news from your spy on a given region, you should deploy enough of them to create a chain of spies, from the place you are to the place you want to know about.

Be sure that the spy, altought he does not steal or burn a place, do infiltration, and a not very well trainned spy will be imprisioned trying to send messages to his master. A weak spy will tell to his captors who send him, and this can, surely, start a war.

You've exactly described how scouts work currently.

3) The Herald

What it will do?

The herald is the first guy, the officialy scout of a caravan of a noble who reach a place, only to inform that his master is arriving. Plus, a herald was the introducer of his master when he will joust.

Simple: because it is funny! :P

The Heraldis something historical, and very, very cool. Having a herald denotes importance, for you and your family. Plus, you can use your herald for the speech of tornauments (just as on the A Knight's Tale Movie something I adore and you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdWO9ozir1Y). What about a herald's contest, as a new tool for tornauments?

This can bring to your noble a good mood, inspiration, etc, etc. On Tornauments and duels, too. Plus, sending a herald to an enemy region, announcing that you and your stronger army will arrive at sunrise is a good way to start a new trick: the war of impressions and ideas. Someone easy to impress and intimidate will surely move his army to defend, while the herald's master can surely move to another place, or move there, while the rest of the army takeover there.

Love strategy.
Too easily countered by scout reports--people will merely assume that heralds are liars, and they will become useless.

4) The saboteur

What it will do?

A final suggestion: the saboteur. The man of the shadows. The hand behind revolts.

Because it is an advanced way to do war. Saboteurs acts as the shadow wich incits anarchy and independence between the peasants. As the game has the name "BATTLEMaster", it should have always improves the war lines.

As its name explains. I was thougthing that, with the change on the estates politic, now you just can't set up yours as policy. Because of that, as I can see, more efforts will be needed by courtiers and defensive armies, or, the revolts and lack of control will be taken from the change of turn. Because of this, the creation of a paraphernalia that can be deployed at a region, while you simply travel by it, and raise the anarchy and independence of that place is a good way to  change this.

But things aren't good as you can think: indeed the saboteur foments the independence and anarchy, but, while the people become independent from the previous realm, it should become harder to convert to you, as a collateral effect. So, you can't simply go there and start a friendly takeover: you will need to take that people and remember them that nobles pull the strings of them, no the reverse.

I must say that, as the spy, having a saboteur of yours being captured is enough subject to start a war, and, more than the spy, this can have echoes on the entire continent.

Well, this are my suggestions.

Tnks!

This looks a lot like the a combination of what diplomats and infiltrators can do.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:07:17 PM by egamma »

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 31, 2011, 08:20:32 PM »
Indeed, chest, not chart, my mistake.

And of course I see that scouts do those things, but, as I told, for me they should only do what the name means, v.g., scout about the armies at that place. Plus, they will have other options too.

By the saboteur, I really thought that it could be more a "prestigious class" than  a paraphernalia, but we do not have that on BM. And, infiltrators do the roleplay as "damage" than subtle. And, of course, the diplomat only talk about places, good or bad, not for anarchy and independence.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 01, 2011, 01:55:29 AM »
Indeed, chest, not chart, my mistake.

And of course I see that scouts do those things, but, as I told, for me they should only do what the name means, v.g., scout about the armies at that place. Plus, they will have other options too.

By the saboteur, I really thought that it could be more a "prestigious class" than  a paraphernalia, but we do not have that on BM. And, infiltrators do the roleplay as "damage" than subtle. And, of course, the diplomat only talk about places, good or bad, not for anarchy and independence.

Bad mouthing a realm increases the independence movement  if the realm is also the owner of the region from what we have observed. Just as praising the realm that is the owner of the region can aid in control.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

egamma

« Reply #4: November 01, 2011, 04:00:51 AM »
Bad mouthing a realm increases the independence movement  if the realm is also the owner of the region from what we have observed. Just as praising the realm that is the owner of the region can aid in control.

Both priests and diplomats can increase/decrease loyalty.

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 01, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »
Good, but I would like to see the treasury chest. Advies would use it very well, since when you get an item to repair, you first need to find a sage, and, after, see how much gold he will ask you and if you have the item(s) he need to do it. I must say, my idea is to not make unique items undestructible, instead, give the chance for those who want to hold it, to do this.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 01, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »
Good, but I would like to see the treasury chest. Advies would use it very well, since when you get an item to repair, you first need to find a sage, and, after, see how much gold he will ask you and if you have the item(s) he need to do it. I must say, my idea is to not make unique items undestructible, instead, give the chance for those who want to hold it, to do this.

Tom has been quite firm about unique items being intentionally fragile.  They should cycle through giving others the chance to find more, not last for ages held by the same person.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 02, 2011, 03:45:18 AM »

This is a new feature to offset the apparent increased difficulty in maintaining unique items with the new sage system right? In this case the increased difficulty is either intended, thus the new paraphernalia isn't needed or the increased difficulty is not intended on which case a tweak to the amount of sages running around would perhaps be a better fix.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 02, 2011, 06:03:50 AM »
Tom has been quite firm about unique items being intentionally fragile.  They should cycle through giving others the chance to find more, not last for ages held by the same person.
Isn't one of the main attractions about unique items is the histories they can have to them? I believe on the wiki it says that having a crown that is passed down from king to king is like the ideal usage of a unique item, which is obviously totally impossible under the current system. IMHO making them cycle just destroys their RP value
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 02, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »
Isn't one of the main attractions about unique items is the histories they can have to them? I believe on the wiki it says that having a crown that is passed down from king to king is like the ideal usage of a unique item, which is obviously totally impossible under the current system. IMHO making them cycle just destroys their RP value

Have to agree, also makes them pretty worthless and useless.
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 02, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »
Have to agree, also makes them pretty worthless and useless.
Rather than just say "The system sucks", it is much more helpful to everyone involved if you also provide your ideas on how to fix it. I'm not saying I agree with you. (A few items have amassed quite a history, making them true legends.) But you're at least much more likely to get someone's attention by providing useful feedback, rather than just content-less criticisms.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #11: November 02, 2011, 01:55:40 PM »
Well, what item types are there?

Book, Shield, Armor, Weapon, Ring, and Accessory?  Is that all?

Shields, Weapons, and Armor... have them only take damage in combat, larger chunks of damage if wounded/defeated.

Have Accessories take slow damage over time, books faster damage over time.  This is to factor in that they're just cloth or paper and so wouldn't stand up well to being lugged all around the continent.

Rings shouldn't really suffer damage, but if you're wounded, they have a higher chance to be "stolen" by NPCs/disappear?

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 02, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »
In the last month or so, two of my characters have each gotten unique items. The week or two prior to the first item breaking, my character wrote the local advies three times. With the second item, it hasn't broken yet but he's also written the advies of his realm multiple times. I also have an adventurer, have had one for some time, and the prospect of ever actually being able to make repairs, let alone have an item put together, seems fairly unlikely at this point. I get that they should be fragile, but with the problems of getting them repaired and how fragile they are, one of those factors needs to change.

Right now, for me, unique items are disposable. Can't get them repaired and they don't last terribly long. Nice to have, but I'm not exactly growing any attachments or even bothering to properly look at its name, keep track of its perks or see how damaged it is. Why bother? And I don't think that's what Tom is looking for in unique items either. The balance is off. Maybe a treasure chest is the answer, but maybe simply making it easier for advies to repair them would be best. There'd still be a high enough turnover. I've had characters in my old family who've been off fighting and weren't going to drop that just to get an item, however valued, patched up. Or simple inattention. I'd say keep them as fragile, but make them more fixable.

Finton.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 02, 2011, 11:13:07 PM »
Rather than just say "The system sucks", it is much more helpful to everyone involved if you also provide your ideas on how to fix it. I'm not saying I agree with you. (A few items have amassed quite a history, making them true legends.) But you're at least much more likely to get someone's attention by providing useful feedback, rather than just content-less criticisms.
Make them exceedingly rare, so that only the best adventurers can get them, and not decay at all, but rather be lost during battles, to be found again at a later date by an enterprising adventurer. I think that having fewer items, but having a very high value each, as well as a history for each and every item, would be preferable to the current system, while also rewarding those who actually develop their advies. Under the current system it is far too easy to get the three recommendations required.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 03, 2011, 12:04:16 AM »
I never said the system sucks, only that this new change seems to pretty much eradicate any long term roleplay-bility of of said items and really is not a carrot but a stick (granted its a voluntary stick but still).

Armour/Weapons/Shield - Repairable just like a normal regular Combat Unit, which will never be approved so instead have it so that it is a seriously reduced degrading. Chance of being lost/destroyed in battle is increased and decreased in direct proportion to how big or small the battle is. say 5000CS battle (together not each) = 5% chance of being lost and 2.5% of being destroyed. However to combat those who would then just only participate in small battles if any, have it so that it works like the old Too Much Peace - if not in a big battle for say an entire season the degrading is increased moderately to normal levels, if not in any battle for a fortnight the degrading is increased dramatically - accelerated even. Reasoning, it is still a battle and there just might not be any big battles around. However not being in a battle all together is just wrong. Regarding Wounded, I would say it would not make sense to increase chance of being lost/destroyed. In a battle if you are wounded, you are dragged off the field of battle before you are killed by your men, someone - if not you - will almost certainly remember to pick up your stuff. Reasoning against "but that is a contradiction to your proposed chance of loss/destroyed" - incorrect, whilst in battle you almost certainly might be forced to leave your weapon in *target A* and grab whatever you can to defend yourself from *target B* and by the time he has been slain you could have moved yards, there would be more fighting around you, bodies piled up etc etc etc.

Rings and Accessories and Books. - Slower Degrading Over Time overall, but increased chance of loss when travelling more than x amount of turns and/or regions.
Books in particular - increased chance of destroyed when travelling through non-dry weather.
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries