Author Topic: War Islands again?  (Read 12130 times)

Stormbringer

• Peasant
    • View Profile
War Islands again?
« Topic Start: November 03, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »
It doesn't look like too many people are playing the War Islands game.  I'm sort of wishing the Southeast Islands, or whatever they were called, would come back... is that possible?  Is there interest?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: War Islands again?
« Reply #1: November 03, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »
The original war islands (SEI/SWI) will not be coming back.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 03, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
And don't forget, BM:WI is currently testing a new map and Tom wants your input.

Personally, I'd quite like a go on the new map. I just don't want to get beasted by the folk who've been playing BM:WI regularly these last months. I fell off the wagon after 9 games, alas :-\

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 03, 2011, 07:42:46 PM »
I haven't played in a long time, but the new map definitely got me to sign up for a couple games again!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: November 04, 2011, 12:12:37 AM »
Personally, I'd quite like a go on the new map. I just don't want to get beasted by the folk who've been playing BM:WI regularly these last months. I fell off the wagon after 9 games, alas :-\

The new map is new for them as well, and its mechanics are a little different, it will require new strategies. For example, the start of the game is a bit slower as you start out with only the capital city.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 04, 2011, 03:44:59 AM »
For example, the start of the game is a bit slower as you start out with only the capital city.

I really like that part.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 04, 2011, 11:49:56 PM »
I used to play a while back and wouldn't mind setting up a game with some ppl to try out the new map and stuff. Don't want an extremely competitive game but a good match would be good.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Dekion

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 20, 2011, 05:00:17 AM »
I have played a little with the new maps and I am not such a big fan of the 3 player one but really, really like the 4 player one.  It has gotten me back into the game again.  I did see that the one realm is being moved to north of the river and I also think that will be a very helpful change to the map.

I also answered on the Facebook page, but I think it would be cool to have a 5+ person map too.

I have been playing this game for years and I have read over and over that the SEI/SWI will never return, but my question is why?  I don't think I remember exactly why they will not be returning.  They were so much fun when you only had to worry about fighting and never food or real diplomacy.  Was it a coding issue or something else?

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 20, 2011, 06:24:11 AM »
I have been playing this game for years and I have read over and over that the SEI/SWI will never return, but my question is why?  I don't think I remember exactly why they will not be returning.  They were so much fun when you only had to worry about fighting and never food or real diplomacy.  Was it a coding issue or something else?

Those islands were no longer in the spirit of the game that was trying to be fostered in Battlemaster. In other words, the type of game that was intended to be made has moved away from that type of game play and it is not intended to go back to that. (Tom or Devs feel free to correct if this isn't correct)
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: November 20, 2011, 01:21:39 PM »

That's exactly why they were removed. I want you to worry about food and diplomacy. Battles are won by strategy, but wars aren't. Wars are won by logistics and attrition.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 21, 2011, 06:16:59 AM »
Still, at least they provided entertainment for those who had their other characters stuck in deadend peace situations.

Last thing we need is a new continent opening up now, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 21, 2011, 06:34:40 AM »
Still, at least they provided entertainment for those who had their other characters stuck in deadend peace situations.

ATamara: The new war islands! Albeit, that its in a near stalemate of fighting but still a war island!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 21, 2011, 06:37:40 AM »
ATamara: The new war islands! Albeit, that its in a near stalemate of fighting but still a war island!

Today, perhaps.

It has a long history of boring wars, though, from what I hear.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: November 21, 2011, 11:14:08 AM »

Uh, how about the obvious? Killing that stupid peace?

I do agree we need to make war more profitable than peace. We're working on that. We are working on too many things, though.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 21, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »

Or you could just play a game like this

http://afterwind.com/home/
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.