Author Topic: War Islands again?  (Read 12125 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: War Islands again?
« Reply #15: November 21, 2011, 06:34:28 PM »
Uh, how about the obvious? Killing that stupid peace?

I do agree we need to make war more profitable than peace. We're working on that. We are working on too many things, though.

Personally, I just avoided these places.

But sometimes, when your realm has been in enough wars, especially if these have gone rather bad for it or it's allies, you really need a period of peace to secure your survival. If this cycle coincided for all of your realms you play in, then it's quite a downer.

Though I could totally understand the fear of being the initiator of a war on those continents that had these problems. On BT, Rio had this big "evil imperialist" thing going about on Enweil, and many people actually bought into that, despite the fact that Rio's been the one declaring war on Enweil for the last many years. I can only imagine how likely an initiator of a war in a peaceful continent would be to be labelled as an "imperialist" or something of the sort, and have everyone gang up on these "disturbers of the peace". Of course, it's self-sabotage when it comes to fun, but status quo means survival, and war means risks and danger.

But as I said, I personally wouldn't stick to these realms unless there's something else significant keeping things fun there. It's mostly for the cyclical peace that I liked SEI. That, and it was a very dynamic place for RP. The fun wasn't just because of the battles.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: November 21, 2011, 06:41:11 PM »
On BT, Rio had this big "evil imperialist" thing going about on Enweil, and many people actually bought into that, despite the fact that Rio's been the one declaring war on Enweil for the last many years. I can only imagine how likely an initiator of a war in a peaceful continent would be to be labelled as an "imperialist" or something of the sort, and have everyone gang up on these "disturbers of the peace".

Riombara just had a longer memory than some.  Like remembering when, between the second and third invasions, Enweil was the one guaranteeing that whoever declared war first would get the biggest realm on the continent and all its allies instantly declaring war on it.  (Unless you were one of its close allies, of course.)  That resulted in a long, very tense, peace, when several realms would have much rather been fighting wars.  They just didn't want to have a near-100% guarantee of swift destruction for starting said wars.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: November 21, 2011, 07:09:49 PM »
If a person says they want the war islands back, you tell them to go play risk? ROFL

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 21, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »
Riombara just had a longer memory than some.  Like remembering when, between the second and third invasions, Enweil was the one guaranteeing that whoever declared war first would get the biggest realm on the continent and all its allies instantly declaring war on it.  (Unless you were one of its close allies, of course.)  That resulted in a long, very tense, peace, when several realms would have much rather been fighting wars.  They just didn't want to have a near-100% guarantee of swift destruction for starting said wars.

People change.

Enweil was imperialistic in the very early days, but that was long long long ago. Many other realms have, since, shown much greater imperialism.

And indeed, I ain't saying Enweil was an angel back then. I wasn't even playing, this was at least over 5 years ago I think.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: November 21, 2011, 10:02:50 PM »
People change.

Enweil was imperialistic in the very early days, but that was long long long ago. Many other realms have, since, shown much greater imperialism.

And indeed, I ain't saying Enweil was an angel back then. I wasn't even playing, this was at least over 5 years ago I think.

People change, peoples opinion about those that have changed generally takes much longer to catch up.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: November 21, 2011, 10:03:46 PM »
If a person says they want the war islands back, you tell them to go play risk? ROFL

No I'm saying if you are bored, find something to do. If you are incapable of relieving the boredom in BM, there are hundreds of other options.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: November 21, 2011, 10:50:36 PM »
People change, peoples opinion about those that have changed generally takes much longer to catch up.

Yep, that's more or less what I'm saying ;D

Basically, Enweil had never given Delvin any convincing reason to think they had changed their attitude.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: November 21, 2011, 11:21:31 PM »

Indeed, Enweil forcing tyrannies to become democracies or republics and sitting with an army right outside my city (Ossmat, Old Grehk, last non-republican/democratic realm on the continent at that moment) for a week in between the first and the second invasion is still fueling my family's hatred for Enweil today. :)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: November 21, 2011, 11:51:02 PM »
Indeed, Enweil forcing tyrannies to become democracies or republics and sitting with an army right outside my city (Ossmat, Old Grehk, last non-republican/democratic realm on the continent at that moment) for a week in between the first and the second invasion is still fueling my family's hatred for Enweil today. :)

Yeah but you should all just forget that, cause Enweil want to do something different now, how dare you remember things and hold grudges.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 22, 2011, 02:01:17 AM »
To be honest, PeL has not had a war since the First Lurian Civil War, and quite frankly I yearn for a period of Peace.

Peace I hear you ask? Well yes, every single week we will have battled at least 3 different hordes...

I want a period of peace where I can actually do some properly roleplay, maybe host a dinner in a proper house, with proper tables chairs etc etc and not be in a tent 24/7.

I dont know about the rest of the army, but from the looks of it, I would say some of them are also annoyed at the fact the only thing we do is march to battle, battle, march to refit, refit, march to battle etc etc etc it gets monotonous very quickly.

With luck, i'll get that period of peace after the next Dwilight Year... if SA doesnt march on the south, or another civil war, or D'hara finally give us an excuse (the only war we collectively do want... get rid of the D'haran mismanagers!) :D
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: November 22, 2011, 02:28:53 AM »
With luck, i'll get that period of peace after the next Dwilight Year... if SA doesnt march on the south, or another civil war, or D'hara finally give us an excuse (the only war we collectively do want... get rid of the D'haran mismanagers!) :D

Why the hating?

Give us cheap food, and we'll help you with your rogues.

Mismanagement means improper management of available resources. It's not mismanagement if there's just no food available to manage. Unless you mean to send little bits to cities to artificially control growth and consumption, which I personally consider abusive and will not lower myself to doing.

We have traders going everywhere, buying up food where available. The problem lied with the fact that food production, continent-wide, grew about as fast as food consumption, monsters eating most of the surpluses. However, the new estate system changed this a bit, so I think next (IG) year should be the start of a golden age for D'Hara with Barca's growth and D'Hara's reclaiming of the Lighthouse. As Barca doesn't have any large cities, they should by far compensate for the loss of Caerwyn and lowered trade from the South and allow the Maroccidens to become self-sufficient in terms of food.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: November 22, 2011, 02:33:54 AM »
Why the hating?

Give us cheap food, and we'll help you with your rogues.

Mismanagement means improper management of available resources. It's not mismanagement if there's just no food available to manage. Unless you mean to send little bits to cities to artificially control growth and consumption, which I personally consider abusive and will not lower myself to doing.

We have traders going everywhere, buying up food where available. The problem lied with the fact that food production, continent-wide, grew about as fast as food consumption, monsters eating most of the surpluses. However, the new estate system changed this a bit, so I think next (IG) year should be the start of a golden age for D'Hara with Barca's growth and D'Hara's reclaiming of the Lighthouse. As Barca doesn't have any large cities, they should by far compensate for the loss of Caerwyn and lowered trade from the South and allow the Maroccidens to become self-sufficient in terms of food.

Because it gives good IG reasons for war. After all if you were truly nobles worthy of holding the land, then small things like no food would not be an issue :) It must be a sign from the gods that we mostly distrust that new oversight is needed.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: November 22, 2011, 04:50:55 AM »
or another civil war,

Are we in the same PeL?

There are always civil wars to be had...There is almost always either a rebellion taking place, being planned, or being thwarted. That's why we're able to have fun simply fighting monsters because internal fighting is so much fun.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: November 22, 2011, 05:00:29 AM »
Are we in the same PeL?

There are always civil wars to be had...There is almost always either a rebellion taking place, being planned, or being thwarted. That's why we're able to have fun simply fighting monsters because internal fighting is so much fun.

PeL has very little open rebellion activity these days, now LN they have all the fun.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: November 22, 2011, 05:02:49 AM »
PeL has very little open rebellion activity these days, now LN they have all the fun.

So young...so naive... ;)

But LN definitely is where most of the rebels seem tow ant to play right now.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."