Author Topic: Collaborative vs Individual Effects  (Read 11341 times)

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Collaborative vs Individual Effects
« Reply #15: November 04, 2011, 05:46:40 PM »
Or what if you roleplay your character as a wild, feckless hero always charging into battle?

I'm thinking French knights at Agincourt.

What if the Marshal roleplayed as only picking those nobles he could trust to follow orders?

It works both ways...
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: November 04, 2011, 06:04:06 PM »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: November 04, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »
i would imagine it's not going to be tail wagging the dog. insofar as 1 person digging in won't drag everyone else into being dug in. unless it's some marshal thing.

thing with 2 lines is that... you would probably end up taking a lot more damage than if you put the whole force in 1 wave. it's not like the enemy getting hit by each wave would drastically be too tired to fight the subsequent wave.
firefox

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 04, 2011, 07:15:19 PM »
Or what if you roleplay your character as a wild, feckless hero always charging into battle?

I'm thinking French knights at Agincourt.
I think people should make the choice to be crazy, but shouldn't default automatically to craziness. Rather, the more obviously sensible thing should be the default.
Also, I don't really see people RPing like that. I've never seen someone who used the wrong line settings on purpose, and then RP'd it as such.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: November 05, 2011, 09:15:16 AM »
I think people should make the choice to be crazy, but shouldn't default automatically to craziness. Rather, the more obviously sensible thing should be the default.
Also, I don't really see people RPing like that. I've never seen someone who used the wrong line settings on purpose, and then RP'd it as such.

I have.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: November 05, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »
(shrugs) Maybe it wouldn't work well for formations.  I think it would make a very big difference for digging in, and while I can't say anything about ASI, Abington used digging in all the time to excellent effect.  Then again, we are talking about a hundred nobles in the active army with 100% cohesion and 100% movement rate for over a month once, which in retrospect is more than a little suspicious...Still, the point remains that digging in would work very well this way.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: November 05, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »
in terms of gameplay, what such addition would bring? is it not the whole concept of battles that each noble individually controls troops at his own will, while marshal can impose some overall coordination, not affect troop strength.

the only result what i see is that some eager marshals would appear that would chase people all day to obey.

if you look at some original wiki articles (i don't know whether they still exist or not), there is advice like "complete alignment of troops will not be the best in all situation, sometimes diverse troop settings work better", while in current days i hear many marshals yell on troop leaders that they have to be perfectly aligned.

in times when i was willing to check battle reports in details, i did find out that some misalignment and random troops settings works better in many scenarios.

this, of course, does not mean that each and every troop should have different settings, but does mean that "laboratory" perfection may actually be adverse.

sory, that is my personal feeling that such proposal is leaned towards so-much prevailing hive mentality - any slot in our hive will give one click, and we will reach some bonus for our efforts. collaborative effort in my view is that more players are involved into in-game affairs, one way or another, not more nobles who act like bees.

there is one single trouble i see with digging in currently - when very large army successfully digs in, but one tiny troop of peasant militia puts them out next turn (if large battle does not take place).

something should really be done with that 150 cs vs. 15000 cs. dissolution of small troop and sending them to custody is one step toward that, but i am not aware of thresholds, should be possibly higher.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: November 12, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »
Supposing people started using this tactic dig in tactic and supposing the fieldwork defense mechanism stacked, I forsee a new Cold War.

Right now, defending armies tend to have an advantage anyways. Add fieldworks, a WHOLE REALM digging in behind dirt/wood bunkers and trenches, and nobody would ever want to attack ever, ever again. But that is also supposing nobles continue to use the 'gather in one region, attack other region' tactic pretty much everyone uses nowadays.

As far as line settings, what you're describing already exist: Marshal formations. So long as there is a marshal with the army, and he has a formation set, then everyone lines up nice and pretty. They don't even have to do anything. The marshal takes care of it.

Yes, some of the marshal settings are not good, but they do what you want. Maybe we can even add an advanced formation that includes digging in. Not sure how that would work due to the hours cost for individual units. I guess all you would really need is a formation where the defenders stay in place, unmoving, for 4 rounds, then charge. Call it "Hold the Line" or something. Then whether the defenders are dug in or not, it doesn't matter, because the lines won't get split.

I love this Hold the Line idea though.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: November 12, 2011, 07:17:20 PM »
Supposing people started using this tactic dig in tactic and supposing the fieldwork defense mechanism stacked, I forsee a new Cold War.

Right now, defending armies tend to have an advantage anyways. Add fieldworks, a WHOLE REALM digging in behind dirt/wood bunkers and trenches, and nobody would ever want to attack ever, ever again. But that is also supposing nobles continue to use the 'gather in one region, attack other region' tactic pretty much everyone uses nowadays.

I love this Hold the Line idea though.

Yeah, Hold the Line looked good.  But here's the thing about fieldworks...They only protect the region you're in.  And if you can find a chokepoint, good for you.  But most of the game doesn't really have good chokepoints.  And sitting behind your fieldworks while other regions burn will get old really quickly.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 12, 2011, 07:55:59 PM »
Yeah, Hold the Line looked good.  But here's the thing about fieldworks...They only protect the region you're in.  And if you can find a chokepoint, good for you.  But most of the game doesn't really have good chokepoints.  And sitting behind your fieldworks while other regions burn will get old really quickly.

Which is why I threw in the ''supposing nobles continue to use the 'gather in one region, attack other region' tactic' comment. I would like to see more fluid battles and more interesting tactics. Fieldworks might be a good catalyst to do that, but, then again, it might not.

There are definitely both pros and cons to fieldworks. And if we flesh it out and work out the kinks(like how one noble could cause an entire army to win or lose...), maybe it can be administered. But for now, it's in idea mode and I am pointing out the pros and cons.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: November 14, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »
As far as line settings, what you're describing already exist: Marshal formations. So long as there is a marshal with the army, and he has a formation set, then everyone lines up nice and pretty. They don't even have to do anything. The marshal takes care of it.

Yes, some of the marshal settings are not good, but they do what you want. Maybe we can even add an advanced formation that includes digging in. Not sure how that would work due to the hours cost for individual units. I guess all you would really need is a formation where the defenders stay in place, unmoving, for 4 rounds, then charge. Call it "Hold the Line" or something. Then whether the defenders are dug in or not, it doesn't matter, because the lines won't get split.

Except that MI and SF don't follow marshal formations, and that most marshal formations suck.

Marshal formations need to be fully customizable (low leadership score could restrict some options). What's the point of them if there's only 1 decent attack and 1 decent defense formation, when MI and SF aren't affected, and when one turn's attackers are usually the next turn's defenders if they win (and where the archers and inf are inversed for these two okay formations)? You STILL have to give out line settings if you have MI or SF in your army. And why are the defense and attack formations different anyways? If there are no walls, like with most battles, there's absolutely no difference whether one's army is attacking or defending.

Would it be trouble to code? Probably. But it is, imo, worth it. The current formations system is bad.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: November 14, 2011, 06:21:36 PM »
Except that MI and SF don't follow marshal formations, and that most marshal formations suck.

Marshal formations need to be fully customizable (low leadership score could restrict some options). What's the point of them if there's only 1 decent attack and 1 decent defense formation, when MI and SF aren't affected, and when one turn's attackers are usually the next turn's defenders if they win (and where the archers and inf are inversed for these two okay formations)? You STILL have to give out line settings if you have MI or SF in your army. And why are the defense and attack formations different anyways? If there are no walls, like with most battles, there's absolutely no difference whether one's army is attacking or defending.

Would it be trouble to code? Probably. But it is, imo, worth it. The current formations system is bad.

We have plans to both provide dramatically improved formations (with Hold the Line or something similar being one of them) and allow customizable formations of some form. 

That form may end up being a suggestion form for formations that we approve and add into the game; however, there's also a good chance it will be more like what you have in mind.  Or maybe even some of both.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: November 14, 2011, 06:28:55 PM »
In a roundabout way, I kind of said the same thing. Yes, the current crop of formations are not very good because they are based on the old battle system. The formations exploit limitations of the old system that don't apply to the new.

As for the MI/SF ignoring the settings, I don't think that's what really happens. I have seen the reports of it, but I'm not convinced that they are correct. Rather, the system does not account for them properly. They line up in formation, just not where you'd want them to line up

Marshal formations need to be fully customizable (low leadership score could restrict some options). ...snip...

Ideally, that would probably be best. realistically, probably won't happen. It would be much easier, and more likely to happen, if someone would develop and lay out the new formations they would like to see, and the devs can then code those. Much more likely to happen than a complete rewrite to implement custom formations.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: November 14, 2011, 06:51:24 PM »
In a roundabout way, I kind of said the same thing. Yes, the current crop of formations are not very good because they are based on the old battle system. The formations exploit limitations of the old system that don't apply to the new.

As for the MI/SF ignoring the settings, I don't think that's what really happens. I have seen the reports of it, but I'm not convinced that they are correct. Rather, the system does not account for them properly. They line up in formation, just not where you'd want them to line up
Ideally, that would probably be best. realistically, probably won't happen. It would be much easier, and more likely to happen, if someone would develop and lay out the new formations they would like to see, and the devs can then code those. Much more likely to happen than a complete rewrite to implement custom formations.

I would rather not develop the marshal formations into a rock-paper-scissors game, with multiple "good" formations each having an obvious advantage over the others. A fully customizable system is, imo, a million times better than a very flexible one. Yes, I'm a bit picky with this, but pre-made settings limit the marshals' opportunities to be creative and to set themselves apart. I realize it's probably a lot of trouble, but I believe it is quite worth it.

As for MI/SF, I have trouble remembering the specifics. It might be that some (or all) of them follow archer settings. Which is indeed quite dumb, as they almost always move forward as infantry do, making them either arrive late or arrive first and get slaughtered. I would rather MI and ranged SF be treated differently than all others, but otherwise treating them as infantry would have been the best compromise.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: November 14, 2011, 07:05:05 PM »
I would rather not develop the marshal formations into a rock-paper-scissors game, with multiple "good" formations each having an obvious advantage over the others. A fully customizable system is, imo, a million times better than a very flexible one. Yes, I'm a bit picky with this, but pre-made settings limit the marshals' opportunities to be creative and to set themselves apart. I realize it's probably a lot of trouble, but I believe it is quite worth it.

Ideally, that would probably be best. Realistically, probably won't happen. It would be much easier, and more likely to happen, if someone would develop and lay out the new formations they would like to see, and the devs can then code those. Much more likely to happen than a complete rewrite to implement custom formations.