Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 48783 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #15: November 11, 2011, 09:47:38 AM »
Considering most videos and demos were done on the 360?  Yeah.  Good luck backing up that claim with fact.

You seriously believe a 6 year old machine, that can't even take advantage of Direct X 10 is going to stack up against a new PC, especially considering the Team now has access to all the ID goodies and graphical technology. I know for sure that the Xbox version of Oblivion paled in comparison to the PC version at full spec, I see no reason why this wouldn't have continued.

And what do you know, a 3 second google search confirms it all over the place. This is pretty typical, unless the company is so lazy they just do direct ports the PC version will generally have superior graphics to the Xbox 360, as will the PS3.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: November 11, 2011, 10:33:27 AM »
I have heard from The Engineering Guild (who made the best story/lore/quest mods for Oblivion full stop) that many PC users are saying its just a Console Port and a Console UI. Apparently even a full key remapping was tricky and did not improve it drastically.

This has me worried.

Gotta wait 2 hours to get a bus to go get my CE but well... heres hoping that the PC version is better than what I have been reading...
A lot of menus are broken or obtuse, where either you can navigate only by keyboard or only by mouse. The AI for switching weapons and spells is also annoying. In spite of this, the game is still awesome.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: November 11, 2011, 10:56:22 AM »
You seriously believe a 6 year old machine, that can't even take advantage of Direct X 10 is going to stack up against a new PC

This.

A lot of menus are broken or obtuse, where either you can navigate only by keyboard or only by mouse. The AI for switching weapons and spells is also annoying. In spite of this, the game is still awesome.

AI for switching weapons? You mean UI, right?

I really want a pre-set system so that I can say pre-set 1 is my bow, 2 is healing & sword, etc and then have the ability to swap between them. That would make things so much better.

However, it doesn't impact on the game so much that I think "y'know what, sod this". Not yet anyway. Maybe when I get further and need to keep switching between spells, weapons, etc I'll get annoyed.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 11, 2011, 12:07:12 PM »
I really want a pre-set system so that I can say pre-set 1 is my bow, 2 is healing & sword, etc and then have the ability to swap between them. That would make things so much better.
This honestly should have been the first thing they put in the game.
I'm pretty sure a mod will have this function, if it doesn't exist already.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #19: November 11, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »
I have heard from The Engineering Guild (who made the best story/lore/quest mods for Oblivion full stop) that many PC users are saying its just a Console Port and a Console UI. Apparently even a full key remapping was tricky and did not improve it drastically.

This has me worried.

Yeah, that's the one thing I don't like so far. Gonna whine on the steam forums about it. I really hate the inventory, for example. And why can't I assign favorites to number keys???

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: November 11, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »
there's no steam forum.. XD it's down from the hack.
firefox

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: November 11, 2011, 12:59:19 PM »
Tom, Slapsticks, you are making me cry. I just hope that the console gamer in me can compensate for this or else I blew £40 on a collectors edition for nothing :(
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: November 11, 2011, 01:06:06 PM »
I'm hearing that lots of people find it very playable so long as you use a game pad :)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: November 11, 2011, 01:07:35 PM »
That is just the same as setting every PC setting to ultra crappy. With those setting even my ancient desktop can manage the game.

Looks pretty nice from where I'm sitting *shrugs*

And was mostly just saying, hey no lag.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 11, 2011, 01:13:32 PM »
Looks pretty nice from where I'm sitting *shrugs*

And was mostly just saying, hey no lag.

Generally the trick with that is the xbox version sets the viewing horizon quite low in comparison to the maximum available on the PC, that and they can tweak the code to a very specific hardware profile which does allow you to extract some extra performance. Skyrim looks good on all the platforms, but there is no doubting that a high end PC rig has a significant graphical difference to the console versions.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: November 11, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »
I'm hearing that lots of people find it very playable so long as you use a game pad :)

Yeah, when I played it at Eurogamer it worked really well on a game pad. But not having a 360 myself, it means I'd have to go out and buy a pad just to play Skyrim - I'd rather not.

For those on PC, a nice little feature I was told about is setting your field of view a bit wider. Press ` then type "fov 90". I'm on a widescreen monitor though, not sure how it'd look on a regular one.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: November 11, 2011, 07:08:03 PM »
Tom, Slapsticks, you are making me cry. I just hope that the console gamer in me can compensate for this or else I blew £40 on a collectors edition for nothing :(
Oblivion was also terrible on the PC, but was awesome with mods. Skyrim is at least playable so far. I'm pretty sure a hotkey favorite mod will be out in a few days.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #27: November 11, 2011, 08:02:39 PM »
It is quite nice to look at the landscapes. But since they're mostly snowy, my memories of Oblivion are that it was more impressive.

I just found out that they do have hotkeys, if you type 1-8 while highlighting something in the favorites menu. Will try that next time I play.

Other than that, my destruction High-Elf mage is doing quite well. I'm thinking about raising the difficulty setting, since I basically just set everything on fire and blast it away. Had only one close fight so far, and one horrible defeat when I tried killing one of the mammuts. I was kind of expecting that one, though. :-)

Zakilevo

« Reply #28: November 11, 2011, 09:21:27 PM »
My sneaky guy with a greatsword is doing great as well. Sneaking behind someone and one shotting them with it is pretty satisfying.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: November 11, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »
and one horrible defeat when I tried killing one of the mammuts. I was kind of expecting that one, though. :-)

This is what happened when I tried to kill one. The Giant guarding them got rather angry :P

My Conjuration Breton isn't doing too well, mainly because I went off all over the show before getting many conjuration spells. I could raise the dead and summon a wolf and they're not too great against most things :P Got myself a few better spells now, so all should be good :D