Author Topic: Rebellion in Arcachon  (Read 34442 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Rebellion in Arcachon
« Reply #30: November 21, 2011, 02:02:22 AM »
Or you could pin people in place.  A small group can draw much larger groups merely by threatening areas, because blobbers want to dominate battlefields.  As long as you're okay with losing some people on occassion, multiple fronts can allow for a hell-for leather opening.

The only way to pin Arcachon in place would be to either have twice the force they did, fortifications to block them, or rely on them not knowing where our troops would jump.  Rustling up twice the mobile CS hasn't happened, Arcachon's canny enough not to end up in a position where fortifications can block them, and our orders are sent to their military command within the hour, usually.

And there isn't another front.  That's the geographical advantage.

During that time thier clock is running and your clock isn't, though Clocks only run if you think of armies as blobs rather then cycling groups.  Anyway, I just know how it would likely run from the Arcachon end with the players reverse, but I will point out you can't object with both "Bah, we need better marhsals" and "We have thought of every tactic you lot of thought of, because we have awesome marshals."

I never objected by saying we needed better Marshals, and De-legro never said we've thought of everything.  Neither have I, in point of fact.  I'm just saying I've thought of a number of things, but various factors make them impractical.

And, of course, even Jenred has to bow to politics sometimes.  Every so often he suggests forgetting anything fancy and just throwing an army at Soniel, knowing they'll lose, but betting we can absorb the losses better than Arcachon can.  But most of Arcaea, for the understandable reasons, doesn't like that plan.   Our efforts to end starvation on the route to Ecsetuah became problematic because OW objected to our taking the regions even temporarily to feed them.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Zakilevo

« Reply #31: November 21, 2011, 02:16:09 AM »
I was thinking why Arcaea did not throw their men to Soniel too. I mean that is the traditional method for fighting a smaller realm even in history. Not the most efficient but it works.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: November 21, 2011, 02:32:54 AM »
No one likes being the meat in the meatgrinder.  I think it would have been better than what's happened so far, but I freely admit I have scanty evidence for it.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: November 21, 2011, 02:55:21 AM »
I was thinking why Arcaea did not throw their men to Soniel too. I mean that is the traditional method for fighting a smaller realm even in history. Not the most efficient but it works.

No one likes losing their expensive unit and all that training though.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: November 21, 2011, 04:32:45 AM »
Well, once Toupelleon declares war on Arcaea we'll get a chance to see how Arcachonian tactics translate to the mainland.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: November 21, 2011, 04:34:11 AM »
That would be an interesting war...Unlikely to happen in the near future, but interesting.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: November 21, 2011, 04:36:01 AM »
Well, once Toupelleon declares war on Arcaea we'll get a chance to see how Arcachonian tactics translate to the mainland.

Didn't we already see that when GA was at war with us?

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: November 21, 2011, 04:43:04 AM »
It better not happen soon, Ciann needs to take over help train up the Toupelleon military.

GA was just...a facepalm really, diplomatically and militarily.  It's not really any wonder why Arcachon and Arcaea chose to fight that war the way they did.  When Selene refuses to step down and treat Toupelleon as the great and mighty empire I suspect OW risks annexation and that may force Arcaea's hand.

That's assuming Kindara doesn't get on the horn and start stomping the south while the stomping is good.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: November 21, 2011, 04:47:17 AM »
Anatole, Selene, and Jenred are all on quite good terms.  While it's certainly possible for that to blow up (I've seen stranger things happen in this game, heh), I doubt that kind of squabbling will take place without a leadership change.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: November 21, 2011, 04:48:56 AM »
It better not happen soon, Ciann needs to take over help train up the Toupelleon military.

GA was just...a facepalm really, diplomatically and militarily.  It's not really any wonder why Arcachon and Arcaea chose to fight that war the way they did.  When Selene refuses to step down and treat Toupelleon as the great and mighty empire I suspect OW risks annexation and that may force Arcaea's hand.

That's assuming Kindara doesn't get on the horn and start stomping the south while the stomping is good.

If it is a long term plan, then its unlikely they would face Arcaea in its current form, that is if you could even get past the fact that Arcaea has rather good relations with Toupelleon.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: November 21, 2011, 06:43:55 AM »
Yeah, the big driver is the fact that there's a lot of OW nobles who spend a -lot- of time slagging Anatole, with the influx of Cathayian nobles, that's where I see the pressure building.

Anyway, Arcaea has to get things settled up before it can go through it's crysallis, and that means deciding on if any peace treaty it gets (if it can't conquer) with Arcachon is worth spit (it's probably not), so it's a long, slogging T.O. still to come.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: November 21, 2011, 07:05:55 AM »
Yeah, the big driver is the fact that there's a lot of OW nobles who spend a -lot- of time slagging Anatole, with the influx of Cathayian nobles, that's where I see the pressure building.

Anyway, Arcaea has to get things settled up before it can go through it's crysallis, and that means deciding on if any peace treaty it gets (if it can't conquer) with Arcachon is worth spit (it's probably not), so it's a long, slogging T.O. still to come.

It is quite possible for Arcaea to complete its other plans while still at war with Arcachon. I had its disadvantages, but it certainly is doable.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: November 21, 2011, 02:38:53 PM »
When Selene refuses to step down and treat Toupelleon as the great and mighty empire I suspect OW risks annexation and that may force Arcaea's hand.
Mrh? Where is this coming from? Who would be demanding that Selene step down, and why? And why would Toupelllon be demanding to be treated as a "great and mighty empire"?  Honestly, none of this makes any sense.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: November 21, 2011, 05:40:03 PM »
Even if it did, I'm not sure Toupelleon could annex the remainder of OW. Trying to hold Sashras from Colesan would not be easy. Possible? Even that, I doubt. Still, could always use the justification of an "honourable death". Worked for C'thornia, can't see why it wouldn't work for OW.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: November 21, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »
Maintaining Sasrhas would be a nightmare, even if it could be done. Constant court/police work would be needed. Akanos is right n the edge of possible. Toupellon is simply unworkable as it is already. I expect the first real war will tear it apart.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.