Author Topic: Marshal formation  (Read 17215 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Marshal formation
« Topic Start: March 09, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »
From what I've seen in most battles not involving fortifications, defenders have infantry on the front row which will move toward the attackers during Round 1. Given that, I can't see a marshal setting on the wiki that would allow the attacker's cavalry and infantry to engage the defenders during the same round. Either the infantry hit first and the cavalry the turn after (Infantry Charge), or the cavalry hit first and the infantry the turn after (Cavalry Charge).

For both to hit in the same turn, assuming the defenders move forward in Round 1, I think attacking infantry would need to be set up on the front row and attacking cavalry on the middle row, but there doesn't seem to be a marshal setting for that. Am I missing something?

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Marshal formation
« Reply #1: March 09, 2011, 06:31:05 PM »
There might not be such a setting. However, I think leadership skill factors into which formations you can access.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any easy way to set your archers/MI/SF according to range.

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 09, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »
For both to hit in the same turn, assuming the defenders move forward in Round 1, I think attacking infantry would need to be set up on the front row and attacking cavalry on the middle row, but there doesn't seem to be a marshal setting for that. Am I missing something?

Sometimes the best options not to use any marshal settings whatsoever it certain situations, but instead rely on experience and use custom battle lines etc, as even while have all the marshal commands myself I still find that works best in many situations.     

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: March 09, 2011, 08:10:03 PM »
It's harder to organize custom lines because sometimes you'll have one or two with the wrong settings. With marshal formations, as long as the marshal is capable and active (which should be qualities for selecting a marshal in the first place) then you have units set up good to go. For most battles one or two units out of formation isn't going to be the end of the war, but in close battles, sometimes that can lead to the loss of good units unnecessarily. So it's more like a matter of convenience. Unfortunately it seems like we can't exactly put all the different combinations of settings that exist.

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 09, 2011, 08:47:48 PM »
One of the other qualities required of a good marshal, and indeed perhaps the most important, is not only being able instill an inherent dicipline in his/her army, meaning more often then not nearly every member follows orders to a tee concerning settings etc, but also the ability build up a true sense of brother and sisterhood amoung it's ranks. 
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #5: March 09, 2011, 08:52:15 PM »
Sometimes there's just no helping it though. For whatever reason the army's in a mess, the members are as much a mess. Sometimes it's no one's fault, but in those times, there's not much anyone can do. I can point out that in Nothoi on BT right now, the army's probably still going  :-\ and Reston Vanimedle' is the current marshal. Um...well, regardless, there are lots of monsters and undead.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 09, 2011, 10:47:55 PM »
One of the other qualities required of a good marshal, and indeed perhaps the most important, is not only being able instill an inherent dicipline in his/her army, meaning more often then not nearly every member follows orders to a tee concerning settings etc, but also the ability build up a true sense of brother and sisterhood amoung it's ranks.

This is the approach I take to Marshaling.  There are several different ways to play a Marshal, but I suspect there are only a few paths to playing an effective Marshal.  I play it as a technical position.  In my case, it involves a great deal of "pencil and paper" work: managing refit schedules, staying on top of stragglers, and singling out for praise those nobles who are actively contributing.  I adopted this style primarily as a response to the way that war efforts are "managed" in realms.  I've had to develop a style that is largely independent when it comes to management and tactics.  Honestly, if I was Marshaling a duchy-based army composed of nobles from a single duchy I would probably play much differently. 

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 09, 2011, 10:48:58 PM »

I had a good thing going with my Dwilight army like that. Giving them praise after important victories, making sure they get enough gold to maintain units, and making sure every noble feels like an equally important part of the war machine are good ways to ensure discipline and obedience. I think the fact that they were all from the same duchy gave them a sense of bonding as well. I had perfect movement 75% of the time, and my army never lost a battle under my command.

Vellos even sang their praise once all the way from Chesney :P

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 09, 2011, 11:31:50 PM »
I firmly agree with all points in the former two postings, as have adhered to those very dictums myself ever since being first promoted to a command rank.

(hehe that was some while ago now and no mistake, and likewise don't think I've ever been out of one, be it either a marshal or vice-marshal, for more then a couple of week sincefirst joined soliferum)

I also belive it matters not just how many or how few units you command, as while I command my realms largest army I do it no different then if had only a couple units under me.

egamma

« Reply #9: March 17, 2011, 03:26:33 PM »
From what I've seen in most battles not involving fortifications, defenders have infantry on the front row which will move toward the attackers during Round 1. Given that, I can't see a marshal setting on the wiki that would allow the attacker's cavalry and infantry to engage the defenders during the same round. Either the infantry hit first and the cavalry the turn after (Infantry Charge), or the cavalry hit first and the infantry the turn after (Cavalry Charge).

Perhaps we could make a feature request for an attacker formation that has infantry front, cavalry middle, archers and MI middle?

cjnodell

« Reply #10: March 21, 2011, 01:58:32 PM »
Not sure if this would really work well in the game, but perhaps the Marshal could have a "Formation Builder" that allows him to specify where various unit types should start, what formation they should use, and how they should conduct themselves. If he is successful in "Commanding the Field" the units in his army will conform to his custom formation. Perhaps the Marshal could also save and name a certain number of these custom formations formations for use within his army. Also, it would be cool if the General could build and tweak formations that could then be used by all Marshals under his command. In the end this could result in three kinds of formations, Game Wide Formations, Realm Formations and Army Formations...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 21, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »
Not sure if this would really work well in the game, but perhaps the Marshal could have a "Formation Builder" that allows him to specify where various unit types should start, what formation they should use, and how they should conduct themselves. If he is successful in "Commanding the Field" the units in his army will conform to his custom formation. Perhaps the Marshal could also save and name a certain number of these custom formations formations for use within his army. Also, it would be cool if the General could build and tweak formations that could then be used by all Marshals under his command. In the end this could result in three kinds of formations, Game Wide Formations, Realm Formations and Army Formations...

That wouldn't be impossible, of course, but it's not a priority at the moment.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 21, 2011, 03:34:29 PM »

While I agree with Anaris it's not something demanding be made a priority,  I definitely see the merit of something along those lines being implemented in the future, albit with the odd tweak here and there, ie the "Formation builder" option only available to a marshal with very high leadership, H/P ect.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 21, 2011, 04:23:05 PM »
While I agree with Anaris it's not something demanding be made a priority,  I definitely see the merit of something along those lines being implemented in the future, albit with the odd tweak here and there, ie the "Formation builder" option only available to a marshal with very high leadership, H/P ect.

I like everything about this idea except for the prospect of attaching it to Honor and Prestige.  The last thing the game needs is another cool feature restricted on the basis of functional seniority.  High leadership is totally fair.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 21, 2011, 04:34:10 PM »
It should probably be tied to Leadership. It would be a very great feature.

That said, is there any reasoning why we can't use Formations like Archer Opening when on the Defensive?