Author Topic: Cathing your realm's scouts?  (Read 20656 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Cathing your realm's scouts?
« Reply #30: November 29, 2011, 04:25:35 AM »
If on a VERY important mission you would carry THE seal of your master, at least in fantasy works. But these are different to scouting missions, more akin to diplomatic matters, trade matters etc where they would be acting as a proxy for the lord. So simply carrying something bearing a coat of arms or seal is hardly going to be a great way to determine ones affiliation, it would be trivial to produce fakes. You are also ignoring the fact that as a spy/scout, I would be trying NOT to carry things that would identify my lord, for plausible deny ability reasons.

Not to carry blatent visual identifiers, at least.

As for "plausible deniability", when it comes to people of the ranks of the scouts, I think that's something that didn't really matter in the judicial system of the time.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: November 29, 2011, 04:27:42 AM »
Not to carry blatent visual identifiers, at least.

As for "plausible deniability", when it comes to people of the ranks of the scouts, I think that's something that didn't really matter in the judicial system of the time.

For the Lord though. If I'm sending out scout, I don't really want anything linking them to me necessarily, I would prefer there was nothing even linking them to my realm. The scout is a resource, he is is caught, I find another.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: November 29, 2011, 04:33:13 AM »
For the Lord though. If I'm sending out scout, I don't really want anything linking them to me necessarily, I would prefer there was nothing even linking them to my realm. The scout is a resource, he is is caught, I find another.

Finding another takes time, costs gold. I'd rather mine be released if captured by allies so that I may send him on other errands when he comes back, personally, and couldn't care less if my enemies know easily the useless information they would have otherwise acquired brutally.

;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: November 29, 2011, 04:45:50 AM »
Finding another takes time, costs gold. I'd rather mine be released if captured by allies so that I may send him on other errands when he comes back, personally, and couldn't care less if my enemies know easily the useless information they would have otherwise acquired brutally.

;)

Hint, medieval armies didn't release scouts that were found near their encampments, doesn't matter if they knew the source or not.

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: November 29, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »
Problem is there is no way to control scout caching one way or the other.If there some sort of a skill involved, the skilled nobles would be able to avoid harming allied scouts and could easily catch enemy ones.
There would be situations where an enemy noble would send like 5 scouts in a row and lose them all.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: November 29, 2011, 03:45:51 PM »
Again, you have no way of knowing which scouts are friendly, and which not. There are no infallible tokens of identity or loyalty (ever read the Lensman books?), and any enemy scout would doubtless tell you /anything/ he thought you wanted to hear in order to get you to let him go. And only a complete idiot would let scouts roam free around his encampment, knowing that they could full well belong to enemies who want to scout his encampment in preparation to /killing/ him.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: November 29, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »
well.. you can't catch your own scout.. (eh.. right?). that's probably as close to knowing it's friendly as you will ever get.
firefox

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: November 29, 2011, 05:46:40 PM »
The curent system isn't exactly efficient-since most scouts get away.Strangly enouch the only acouts I ever caught were allied oanes and that wasn't often.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: November 29, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »
well.. i've caught enough of all sorts over the years. efficiency is not necessarily desirable.
firefox

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: November 30, 2011, 04:33:19 AM »
Hmm, losing scouts to our own realm lands, that's pretty tough. I propose we make scouts losing apply only to enemy lands? 8)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: November 30, 2011, 04:46:43 AM »
The curent system isn't exactly efficient-since most scouts get away.Strangly enouch the only acouts I ever caught were allied oanes and that wasn't often.

That is a stupid statement. If the chance of success for scouts wasn't reasonably high then people wouldn't use them. The question you should be asking is why are you sending scouts to a region that contains your own sides troops. In most cases it would be more efficient to have them scout the surrounding regions.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: November 30, 2011, 05:05:19 AM »
That is a stupid statement. If the chance of success for scouts wasn't reasonably high then people wouldn't use them. The question you should be asking is why are you sending scouts to a region that contains your own sides troops. In most cases it would be more efficient to have them scout the surrounding regions.

To see movement rates, silly.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: November 30, 2011, 05:59:46 AM »
To see movement rates, silly.

You mean that thing Marshals and Vice Marshals can see by clicking a button?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: November 30, 2011, 06:02:48 AM »
You mean that thing Marshals and Vice Marshals can see by clicking a button?

Yea, that tells you everything when your realm has multiple armies and you are coordinating with allies, right?

Also, marshals get to know the status of the units in their armies, so yea, they can know if the unit is moving. They cannot, however, know *where* the unit is moving. Scouting is needed for that.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: November 30, 2011, 06:06:57 AM »
True, but if you want to have micro control at that level, you can pay the penalties. There is more then likely reasons the devs didn't just give that info directly to the marshals.