Author Topic: OOC Clans  (Read 20674 times)

Crescent

• Freeman
    • View Profile
OOC Clans
« Topic Start: November 26, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »
Just wanted to ask, what is the take on OOC Clans? In the Colonies, I have been in a realm whereby there's 2 group of friends, one in the realm I'm PM and another group in a neighbouring enemy realm. Long story short, those in the realm turn things upside down, refuse to obey orders, basically do whatever they can to make the realm die whilst passing information about unit settings etc to the other side.

I was once involved in the discussions but cut connections with them soon after I realized it involved power-gaming. They simply have their friends vote for them and give stupid reasons to protest against someone they don't like etc and its pissing me off since it totally ruins the spirit of gaming. Needless to say, they'll deny having contact in IC or OOC.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Clans
« Reply #1: November 26, 2011, 09:26:36 AM »
The wiki sates the rules about clans something like this

Don't use your clan to ruin other people fun.

If you suspect people are using a OOC clan to "win" the game the best advice is report it to the titan and let them use their tools to investigate. Its a hard thing though, it is quite legitimate for a group of noble characters to act in the way you describe, I guess the problem is when they do it for OOC reasons and friendships rather then developing a IG dissident group.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Crescent

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 26, 2011, 10:02:26 AM »
Yes, I don't have any qualms about people who come in and become friends through in-game correspondence. However, it gets a little obvious when they come in and protest once they are able to and seem to know of things that took place way before their arrival. Without even hearing both sides of the story, they seem bent on simply accusing people they don't side and defend whomever they like, irregardless of what the situation is.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 26, 2011, 11:51:54 AM »
You could also just ban them for being annoying. Unless they've got your judge in their pocket.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 26, 2011, 12:33:33 PM »
You could also just ban them for being annoying. Unless they've got your judge in their pocket.

Or ban them for joining your realm, if you're really looking for a reason to ban them (and they somehow aren't annoying).
Like my programming? Become my patron!

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 26, 2011, 01:52:35 PM »
This sounds like something for the Titans or the Magistrates. We really can't help you. :)
------
qui audet vincit

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 26, 2011, 02:17:43 PM »
passing information about unit settings etc to the other side

You know that most traitors can be banned and hanged, just make sure you never say that you ban them because of OOC clanning.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 26, 2011, 02:34:59 PM »
Just wanted to ask, what is the take on OOC Clans? In the Colonies, I have been in a realm whereby there's 2 group of friends, one in the realm I'm PM and another group in a neighbouring enemy realm....

Just ban them before they attempt a Clan Take Over of your realm.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 26, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »
If you think they're clanning and ruining the fun for everyone else, tell them. They might not realise they're ruining everyone else's fun.

If they still don't change, then it's a case for the Magistrates/Titans

If you can find an IC way of getting rid of them, even better because then we can all stay within the spirit of the game and it might even make them participate with the rest of the realm.

Silverhawk

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 26, 2011, 07:31:24 PM »
Watch out with accusations... There has been wrath from above for less :D. No proof equals no right of accusation.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

egamma

« Reply #10: November 26, 2011, 07:47:27 PM »
The 'old guard' of Lukon and Oriolton, IC aren't used to having people play the game in ways that threaten their power.

Step back a minute--if all this was IC, would you still be complaining?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 26, 2011, 11:54:41 PM »
Watch out with accusations... There has been wrath from above for less :D. No proof equals no right of accusation.

You can send the accusation to the Titans with nothing more then suscipions or gut feelings. If you want to vent accusations in game against players, then yes you really should have some proof. Of course you can IC accuse anyone you want of being a traitor as well, you don't need proof to try and implicate a characters.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 27, 2011, 03:52:57 AM »
Just wanted to ask, what is the take on OOC Clans?

A few things.  The first is that if you think something is going on in the game in violation of the Social Contract, make a report to the Titans with a full list of those you suspect and all the reasons why.  If they don't agree, no harm done, and if they do, then they'll appreciate being notified.

Second, making accusations in-game or via the Forums without significant evidence is the kind of thing that we don't like to see, because there are often very good IC reasons for things that you just might not see, and OOC accusations often end up like witch-hunts, as it's very hard to disprove them, and it can hurt players (as distinct from characters) regardless of the truth of the situation.

Third, anything that can be handled IC should be handled IC, this is true.  Actual OOC clanning often can't be, which is why the rule about it exists, and the Titans should be informed if you have suspicions.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Crescent

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 27, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Firstly, it isn't the Old Guard of Lukon/Oritolon but its a group of new nobles, whereby the leader came first and suddenly we're hit with 5-6 other nobles within 2 weeks who seemingly already have a fixed opinion about everything in the realm.

Secondly, banning would be great, except for the fact that my realm has 14 people and is in a war. if I ban 7 people we'll be left with 7 people to 8-9 regions or something like that which is madness, and needless to say we'll get killed real bad in the war. They may not care about the realm, but I cannot do something knowing it will have detrimental effects on my realm.

Thirdly, I've simply left the realm already. Stepped down as Ruler and floated across the continents. Thank you for the suggestions, and I do hope I get to put it in place the next time I meet another OOC Clan. What I do know is that they really screwed up my game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: November 27, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »
The real main defense against OOC clans is to have larger realms.

The new estate system is in parts aimed at making it easier to run realms with lots more players in them. If you have 100 people in a realm, only exceptionally large and dedicated clans can make as much as a dent.