Author Topic: 1st Son  (Read 35891 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Son
« Reply #30: November 29, 2011, 01:55:58 AM »
Well, sure, if you make the invasion a 100% focus on Daimon Worship, then I think there isn't a way for it to be really fun for most people, to be frank. But though it seems as religion might be put forward in a more important manner this time, I really don't think the plans were to make the invasion 100% about religion, with no invader except for priest invaders.

I'm not saying Daimon Worship doesn't have any potential for fun, either. I'm just saying there are drawbacks and risks associated with it, which are greater the more importance you give to it. These are mostly due to the fact that the only people with a real influence on follower count are priests, which are very few in number and which is a class that has absolutely no appeal to a vast quantity of players (if you consider how many people have never or rarely played a priest).

Not that I think Religion is going to 100% be the focus, but if that was going to be the case, I would suspect that the war would not be over followers in the normal sense. I could see Daimon priest getting special abilities like raising cultist army's etc, and perhaps something along the line of the Light Temples to provide realms a way of countering the religious spread without relying solely on priest. If you think outside of the current priest game, things could be added to either side to provide and interesting religious war.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: November 29, 2011, 02:09:06 AM »
Not that I think Religion is going to 100% be the focus, but if that was going to be the case, I would suspect that the war would not be over followers in the normal sense. I could see Daimon priest getting special abilities like raising cultist army's etc, and perhaps something along the line of the Light Temples to provide realms a way of countering the religious spread without relying solely on priest. If you think outside of the current priest game, things could be added to either side to provide and interesting religious war.

Indeed, it could, but it would feel truly bizarre for the humans to have special items/powers to counter daimonic religious spread. Despite the daimons and other invasion, BM remains a rather low-magic setting, where most things magic are rather limited. The Light, for example, only had 3 scattered temples. If every realm was to have one, it would have given quite a different tone to the universe. Of course, part of the struggle could be that the items required aren't in large enough numbers for every realm to have one.

My imagination isn't god-like, there can obviously be things I'm not thinking of. Story-wise, having the daimons turn the peasants into fanatical cultist armies would be interesting. Gameplay-wise, mechanics to counter this would either have to rely on too few people (priests) or too much magic (enough items/powers for most realm to somewhat limit daimonic mind control).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: November 29, 2011, 02:27:34 AM »
Indeed, it could, but it would feel truly bizarre for the humans to have special items/powers to counter daimonic religious spread. Despite the daimons and other invasion, BM remains a rather low-magic setting, where most things magic are rather limited. The Light, for example, only had 3 scattered temples. If every realm was to have one, it would have given quite a different tone to the universe. Of course, part of the struggle could be that the items required aren't in large enough numbers for every realm to have one.

My imagination isn't god-like, there can obviously be things I'm not thinking of. Story-wise, having the daimons turn the peasants into fanatical cultist armies would be interesting. Gameplay-wise, mechanics to counter this would either have to rely on too few people (priests) or too much magic (enough items/powers for most realm to somewhat limit daimonic mind control).

Why would it need to be magic? At the simplest Tom could create a new shrine type building that every noble meeting some requirement could build, which would limit daimon cultist spread. Or he could allow nobles to go all inquisition in a region and burn out daimon followers. Once you break the current systems limitations the options are endless.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: November 29, 2011, 02:35:06 AM »
Why would it need to be magic? At the simplest Tom could create a new shrine type building that every noble meeting some requirement could build, which would limit daimon cultist spread. Or he could allow nobles to go all inquisition in a region and burn out daimon followers. Once you break the current systems limitations the options are endless.

Tools which would have been logical to add even before a daimon invasion. I, for one, have long argued that the religion game would be better off if we involved non-priests in it a lot more. ;)

Persecuting the cultists still hurts your realm, though.

I know I'm sounding awfully negative. That wasn't really my goal. I'm actually quite hopeful. With the declining player base, I kind of lost all hope for BT's future, so I'm wishing it gets a burial worthy of all the excitement it provided over the years.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: November 29, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »
Daimon worship is already becoming a mentioned faith in some of the blighted regions, it's only a matter of time before they start spilling over in great number.
Also the 3d son seems to have fled to Melhed indeed... By the time they decide to try and arrest him he'll probably have converted half their realm.

And as for Chenier's defeatism, I at least still hope BT can survive. :)
It is the most interesting continent by far. So... let's kick some daimon ass!

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: November 29, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
One of Fronen's regions just converted to the Netherworld in a peasant revolt.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #36: November 29, 2011, 02:22:41 PM »
I don't think convert is the right word.  Probably more "couldn't stand Fronen anymore, so switched sides to the realm that is suddenly next door."

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: November 29, 2011, 02:26:17 PM »
Yes, that's about right. Still concerning.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: November 29, 2011, 04:21:54 PM »
Daimon worship is already becoming a mentioned faith in some of the blighted regions, it's only a matter of time before they start spilling over in great number.
Also the 3d son seems to have fled to Melhed indeed... By the time they decide to try and arrest him he'll probably have converted half their realm.

And as for Chenier's defeatism, I at least still hope BT can survive. :)
It is the most interesting continent by far. So... let's kick some daimon ass!

Most of these regions have little population, meaning they don't need many worshippers for the faith to show, but not allowing for spillovers. However, I wouldn't be surprised if netherworld regions manually were given followers or if that was added automatically. Would make sense for the peasants they rule to convert automatically.

Yes, that's about right. Still concerning.

Very, as it means sympathy was high enough. I don't think it's possible to affect that sympathy as diplomats, though.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: November 29, 2011, 04:42:28 PM »
However, I wouldn't be surprised if netherworld regions manually were given followers or if that was added automatically. Would make sense for the peasants they rule to convert automatically.
For the record, that was /not/ done for the Fourth Invasion.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: November 29, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »
For the record, that was /not/ done for the Fourth Invasion.

Nop, didn't say it was. Nor for the third, the two invasions where Daimon Worship propped up, unless I remember incorrectly.

Might be for the Fifth, though.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: November 29, 2011, 07:21:04 PM »
Well, he's in Sandlakes now. How many hours do we need to arrest priests? With just 1 hour in my time pool, I don't see the option anywhere. Arrest advies is greyed out because of lack of hours, though.

Also, Overlord has just come to Pequad and started looting. Any idea if Overlord is their boss, or if it's a generic title for all daimon leaders this time?

I suspect that if you scout into the blight, you'll start seeing scary stuff, now.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: November 29, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »
Also, Overlord has just come to Pequad and started looting. Any idea if Overlord is their boss, or if it's a generic title for all daimon leaders this time?

I sure hope it's only one guy since he's lord of every single blighted region. If those are all different daimon lords, we're in for a treat...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: November 29, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
Well, one thing seems certain. Even if these characters do nothing, Beluaterra is going to shut itself down.

Hell no.

If my character has anything to say about it, this invasion will be a free-for-all, and Beluaterra will truly earn its name. No peace is acceptable: only the absolute and permanent extinction of the Enweilian people.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: November 29, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »
Hell no.

If my character has anything to say about it, this invasion will be a free-for-all, and Beluaterra will truly earn its name. No peace is acceptable: only the absolute and permanent extinction of the Enweilian people.

And with it all of BT, for the Enweili are the chosen ones, the favoured of the gods.